• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus Judge

Carnivore

imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
I have handled one, but not shot it. there is a good review set on the box of truth, though. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Their opinion is that in .410 it's almost worthless as a personal defense weapon, but in .45 LCits not bad.

Respectfully,

Pol

There ain't no way I'd want to get hit with a .410 OO-Buck load at anything less than 100 yds.. and wearing Carharrt would probably still sting. I think it would be a very effective self defense load inside even 25 yds, it may not kill at that distance but it would definitely cause a would be attacker serious harm at self defense range..

here's a little read on .410 from a shotgun, and I can't help but imagine it would be very similar from a Judge at self defense ranges.

http://www.4-10.freeuk.com/mwdefence.html

RIAShooter

imported post

I shot one a few weekends back, ZeroCool owns one he haunts the kentucky site, they are definitly fun guns to shoot, he only had birdshot, (walmart didn't have any 00 buck in 4 inch or was it 3 inch?) from about 7-10 yards away it was hard to find a spot on the target that didn't have holes in it after 5 shots

DocV

imported post

Just got back from the range today. The Range master was "pimping out"( his term)his Taurus Judge to some of the regulars. My youngest son looked at it and said "Cool Dad! Can we shoot it?"

I had to by a box of .45LC and give him (the range master)the empties but it was worth it to watch my 9-year-old put 'er to the test. My son liked the fiber optic front sight tube, "Hey Dad! It lights up!" He didn't have the hand size or strength to fire it double action but had no problems cocking the hammer with his left hand and putting rounds on target. It looked like his point of impact was higher than his point of aim but he kept it grouped in about a 7 inch circle at 21 feet.

Then it was Dad's turn. I kind of liked the F/O front sight too. I had never used one before. I too found point of impact to be a little high at first but it was easy to compensate for. The double action trigger pull was smooth. I was able to get consistent 5 shot groups in about a 4-5 inch circle.

The range master also threw in some .410 birdshot. At 21 feet, it patterned within the confines of a standard silhouette target. There was a good flash and tongue of fire with each shot. I'm sure it would be devastating on a snake or small game at short range.

Final Opinions:

It was a blast a shoot.

I'm sure it is more accurate than I am and it would improve with a little more handling.

.45 LC is a tad pricey

I could see it as a woods/cabin/truck gun. I don't know enough about the ballistic performance of the .45 LC to comment on its use as a self defense load.

Just MHO. YMMV.

DocV

SKOGGIT

imported post

I carry a Taurus Judge Ultra-lite as my concealed carry weapon. I know everyone says its not accurate beyond so many feet. What you have to realize is if you ever get into a confrontation chances are it will be at close range. Example a car jacking.

Gordie

imported post

SKOGGIT wrote:
I carry a Taurus Judge Ultra-lite as my concealed carry weapon. I know everyone says its not accurate beyond so many feet. What you have to realize is if you ever get into a confrontation chances are it will be at close range. Example a car jacking.
At car jacking range even bird shot would be pretty nasty. It would barely be separating fromthe wad at that point.

superdemon

imported post

I had a old steel gun with an identical set up years ago. I bought it at an outdoor/camping/hiking store. It was designed to be used as a snake gun when out in the wilderness.

It was about 10 years old when I bought it. I never considered carrying it for personal defense. I left it with the rest of my gear when I divorced my wife.

usdm419

imported post

Everyone keeps quoting that box o' truth website. Honestly, I find it HARD to believe that in the confines of your home/car, that a .410 shell with the right load or 45 colt round wouldn't end an assailant's progress.

superdemon

imported post

usdm419 wrote:
Everyone keeps quoting that box o' truth website. Honestly, I find it HARD to believe that in the confines of your home/car, that a .410 shell with the right load or 45 colt round wouldn't end an assailant's progress.

I didn't read the whole thing, but they only bashed the .410 round with birdshot, not the .45 round, did they not?

rob99vmi04

imported post

usdm419 wrote:
I don't believe in a lot of caliber hoopla and expansion tests when it comes to Pistols/ revolvers. One thing I do agree with is having a pistol that meets the 12 in penetration recommendations. The .45 LC and the .410 slug met the requirements, however, the buckshot did not. This is my concern. I'm not saying that your not going to get somebodies attention hitting them with 3 00 buckshot pellets all at once; however, the chances for them not reaching vital organs is at question.

Think of your own body even a small guy shot at angle has about 8-10 inches before the pellets comes to any vitals. Now for us bigger guys that is increased dramatically.

However your built, just think of your own body in terms of my explanation, if your arms are 6 inches thick, there is a high chance of little penetration into the thoracic cavity. Even with a straight on shot on a bad guy who has a fairly thick chest , the buck shot may have a hard time reaching vital organs. Shot in any size has little chance of penetration to reach vital areas.

My argument against it is not that the .410 revolver sucks, but rather if your looking for a viable "truck or car" gun a small viable defense cartridge in a gun isn't as lacking when it comes to the claims of the Judge!

usdm419

imported post

The advantage I see with the Judge is when the added stress involved with an altercation requiring you to use your firearm, it's nice to be able to "spray and pray" with buckshot at close range. Just point and squeeze.....and keep squeezing.

Striketeam491

imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
I have handled one, but not shot it. there is a good review set on the box of truth, though. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Their opinion is that in .410 it's almost worthless as a personal defense weapon, but in .45 LCits not bad.

Respectfully,

Pol
Are you sure that the .410 is worthless? Ever look down the barrel of one? I think the Judge is one of Tarus's best products. Odds are good that the fight will be up close. Who gets in a handgun fight at 100 yds?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Junk.

I use a silhouette holder made out of PVC tubing. I had a gent take a shot from the judge. Some pellets made it through the cardboard, most didnt, and the pellets that struck the PVC pipe just left a small black mark that was removed by rubbing your finger over it.

barely goes through cardboard, bounces off PVC.. BB guns shoot through PVC... I don't want a 'defense gun' that won't even shoot through cardboard...

smash29

imported post

usdm419 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSGiJG25E4

I don't have any experience with the gun but I wouldn't want to be looking down the muzzle of it at the 1:42 mark.