• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus Judge

Gordie

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Junk.

I use a silhouette holder made out of PVC tubing. I had a gent take a shot from the judge. Some pellets made it through the cardboard, most didnt, and the pellets that struck the PVC pipe just left a small black mark that was removed by rubbing your finger over it.

barely goes through cardboard, bounces off PVC.. BB guns shoot through PVC... I don't want a 'defense gun' that won't even shoot through cardboard...

I don't know what kind of shell he was using, but even the lightest bird shot will penetrate cardboard at close range.

If Clint Smith recommends it to defend against carjackers, it's good enough for me.

Whtdragn

imported post

I will only say this, I have a single shot 410 and I shoot alot of 45 colt hand loaded because it is expensive. I love the box o truth but I have to say that at 3-10 feet a number 4 shot is going to be painful and a 250 RNFP I would say is deadly. So if you load 3 and 3 I would have to think it would be a good self defense load for up close and personal.
Just my 2 cents

usdm419

imported post

Whtdragn wrote:
I will only say this, I have a single shot 410 and I shoot alot of 45 colt hand loaded because it is expensive. I love the box o truth but I have to say that at 3-10 feet a number 4 shot is going to be painful and a 250 RNFP I would say is deadly. So if you load 3 and 3 I would have to think it would be a good self defense load for up close and personal.
Just my 2 cents
Exactly! I think people get caught up in thinking this would be an ideal "carry weapon" for all situations. It looks like they are marketing it as a vehicle, or close quarters home defense pistol. I think this kind of gun would definitely suffice in defending your home should you confront an unwanted intruder in your bedroom/kitchen/etc.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

My traveling companion bought a Judge, and this is the result of shooting the target with birdshot, 6 rounds at approximately 5 yards. As you can see, it does go through cardboard (that was a fresh piece). If you youtube it, their ads even tell you its for car jacking situations. I enjoyed shooting it, it's got a good deal of kick to it, makes a LOT of noise and a lot of smoke! : )

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Other than suspecting you meant 5 feet and not 5 yards, I agree.
I shot a friend's yesterday with 8, 6, 4, and 00 and .45 LC. It was very comfortable to shoot but the range using shot is very limited. We had hand-tossed a few clay pigeons first and no one was hitting them so we patterned it. At 20 yards you could drive a blimp through the pattern untouched. Close range though was pretty impressive.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Apology accepted! : ) I like you just wanted to post information for those who had not shot one, by someone who HAD shot one. :)

As I stated, I like the gun, it makes my traveling companion happy (oh wait just about ANY gun does that) and I believe that it works for its intended purpose. Close range assault on your person or property.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of it. My friend (purchased 2, a 2.5 and a 3") was debating and decided to load the first cylinder with buck for a more likely close hit/distraction then .45s for any clean up work.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Spray and pray doesn't work. Hammer Pairs and Failure to stop drills are the only way to go. One well aimed shot with a follow through, or two rounds to chest and one to the T zone or gut.

whatever calibre/weapon that gets you the minimum 12 inches of penetration and is the most comfortable for you when its time to react immediately is what you need.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No one advocates spray-and-pray. More spray-and-slay. That's what shotguns are for. A well-aimed first shot of 00(0) buck at close range isn't all bad. Shotguns have been used to devastating effect in close quarters combat for some time. Granted, they weren't .410's. ;)

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotguns for close quarters combat are probably the best small arms available.
However, people need to end this association in their heads between shotguns and no need to aim.
I personally keep my 12 gauge stacked alternating between 15 pellet .00 buckshot and 1 oz. hollow point slugs.

Of course, this is Opencarry.org and most people don't openly carry around a 12 gauge shotguns as they go about their business...

pescar

imported post

this gun is not about 10 .20 or whatever yrds ..its in your face self protection ... get close and i will make you. poof .. great for any woman..

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I personally couldn't advocate shooting human targets with anything smaller than 20 gauge in good conscience. Even in good size shells you need smart loads. .00 buckshot or slugs.

ghostrider

imported post

I think a lot of people are associating the Judge with a .410 shotgun, and they are not the same. My understanding for the reason that it performed so poorly in both the Box o truth, and ClumsyCandy's test is the barrel legth. Again, this is just my understanding, but the .410 is designed to be shot out of a longer barrel, so when it is shot out of a three-inch revolver, it just isn't the same round aswhen it'sbeing fired out of a 18" shotgun. That is the reason for the poor penetration performance.

Alexcabbie

imported post

My beloved Niece recently settled on a Judge, which she carries in a CC-designed purse. First two shots are .410, the next two are .45. She picked it out her very own self, and why? because she reasoned that an attack could be a sudden thing and she wants to make sure the bastard knows he's been hit with the first shot; and if she has to fire three to end the threat, in all likelihood she'll have calmed down enough so that shot number four will not be needed.