• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threat to call cops!!

DEROS72

imported post

Went back up to the coffee shop at safeway after my coffee this morning, to try to help out a homeless guy.This really young dude said something about my pistol.Then he pops off about Mayor Nichols banned guns in Seattle.He was getting loud and a little beligerent.So I raised my voice a hair to get my point across (he was getting loud) about how I just read in the paper he did not in fact ban guns in Seattle nor could he.This kid started yelling about being threatend and said I,m calling the cops.Meanwhile I pointed out that no one is threatening anyone. he just wasn,t litsening .(Besides I had a coffee in one hand and an umbrella in the other )The homeless guy, meanwhilewas sitting there listening and backed my position as this kid was getting annoying.He was real antsi. figety,jumpy loud etc. Well then he started telling me about all the oxycontin,percocets,and medical pot he smokes everdayfor MS.Even showed me pictures of his pot plants . I thought that a little odd .I can feel for himand now started to understand why he was the way he was.The kicker, after saying he was calling the cops ,about 5 Seatac officers came walking out of safeway ,looked right at me ,said nothing and left.I know they saw my pistol but evedently saw the situation for what it was. They alsosaw me at the coffee stand talking with some folks.I do feel for this kid ,probably about 23 or so and messed up with MS.Obviously to me all the drugs he was on was effecting him.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Went back up to the coffee shop at safeway after my coffee this morning, to try to help out a homeless guy.This really young dude said something about my pistol.Then he pops off about Mayor Nichols banned guns in Seattle.He was getting loud and a little beligerent.So I raised my voice a hair to get my point across (he was getting loud) about how I just read in the paper he did not in fact ban guns in Seattle nor could he.This kid started yelling about being threatend and said I,m calling the cops.Meanwhile I pointed out that no one is threatening anyone. he just wasn,t litsening .(Besides I had a coffee in one hand and an umbrella in the other )The homeless guy, meanwhilewas sitting there listening and backed my position as this kid was getting annoying.He was real antsi. figety,jumpy loud etc. Well then he started telling me about all the oxycontin,percocets,and medical pot he smokes everdayfor MS.Even showed me pictures of his pot plants . I thought that a little odd .I can feel for himand now started to understand why he was the way he was.The kicker, after saying he was calling the cops ,about 5 Seatac officers came walking out of safeway ,looked right at me ,said nothing and left.I know they saw my pistol but evedently saw the situation for what it was. They alsosaw me at the coffee stand talking with some folks.I do feel for this kid ,probably about 23 or so and messed up with MS.Obviously to me all the drugs he was on was effecting him.
I would have walked away before he got all buddy buddy with me.....

Bear 45/70

imported post

This is applicable;

The Bill of Rights gives me the power to NOT have to apologize for someone else's "gun phobia."

I would have motioned for the cops to come over and have them look into the young man. He is definitely not playing with a full deck and could easily be a danger to others.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Obviously to me all the drugs he was on was effecting him.

You're absolutely right. There's no way that his incurable disease (MS) had anything to do with it. It was definitely the drugs. [/sarcasm]

Thirded, eh? Well, allow me to -1 the suggestion that we immediately, and with no formal psychiatric training, declare someone mentally incompetent and "a danger to others" for being a little odd and displaying classic symptoms of a life-changing incurable disease.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

marshaul wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:

You're absolutely right. There's no way that his incurable disease (MS) had anything to do with it. It was definitely the drugs. [/sarcasm]

Thirded, eh? Well, allow me to -1 the suggestion that we immediately, and with no formal psychiatric training, declare someone mentally incompetent for being a little odd and displaying classic symptoms of a life-changing incurable disease.
It wasn't the diagnosis I was agreeing with so much as calling the cops over to check him out.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fair enough, but I myself prefer not to involve the police until a crime has been committed, for much the same reason we OCers would prefer not to have the police called on our lawful behavior.

3/325

imported post

marshaul wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:

Thirded, eh? Well, allow me to -1 the suggestion that we immediately, and with no formal psychiatric training, declare someone mentally incompetent and "a danger to others" for being a little odd and displaying classic symptoms of a life-changing incurable disease.
My girlfriend was diagnosed with MS in 1992. Trust me, it's the drugs. MS doesn't alter your personality like that; it affects your motor skills. MS patients are sometimes prescribed some heavy painkillers (including medical marijuana) but not as part of a routine treatment. The biggest problem with MS is that it does not have a consistent, measurable effect that can be tracked across all patients. A person with MS could have one "attack" and nothing else for the rest of his life, and might not even realize he has it. Other people get slammed hard and fast and are in a wheelchair by the end of their second year. No predicatability, no genetic traceability. But it also doesn't make you "freaky in the head."

His behavior is not consistent with having this particular life-changing and incurable disease.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fair enough, but the kid could have other problems as well. Painkillers and pot don't make people jumpy, they make people dopey.

Granted, I wasn't there, but it sounds like he might be mildly autistic or something. I certainly don't get the impression he was a danger to anybody.

Edit: for what it's worth, MS can have cognitive and neurological effects. Meaning, it can appear to affect personality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_sclerosis#Signs_and_symptoms

At any rate, I didn't actually intend to assert that MS caused all of his odd behavior (notice I said "a little odd and displaying the classic symptoms..."), just that I don't think that particular cocktail of drugs caused it either.

On further thought, your appeal to authority (your own experience with your girlfriend) is basically worthless, and I stand by my original post.

FogRider

imported post

Bookman wrote:
It wasn't the diagnosis I was agreeing with so much as calling the cops over to check him out.
Calling the cops to "check out" someone doing nothing wrong beyond making someone feel nervous? Sounds oddly familiar.

Hammer

imported post

Or maybe he was a tweaker, flappin' his lips 90 MPH just cause he could.
At any rate, if he was using any drug w/o a prescription, illegally, he WAS committing a crime.
If his only crime were against his own body, I might overlook it.
But once his belligerence accosts others, it's not his own territory anymore, now is it?

vote_no

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
vote_no wrote:
Hammer wrote:
But once his belligerence accosts others, it's not his own territory anymore, now is it?
I find openly carrying a handgun to be belligerent.

The Bill of Rights gives me the power to NOT have to apologize foryour "gun phobia."
I'd point out your nonexistent perspicacity, but you seem like a nice old man, repeating the same thing over and over again.

Bear 45/70

imported post

vote_no wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
vote_no wrote:
Hammer wrote:
I find openly carrying a handgun to be belligerent.

The Bill of Rights gives me the power to NOT have to apologize foryour "gun phobia."
I'd point out your nonexistent perspicacity, but you seem like a nice old man, repeating the same thing over and over again.
I keep repeating it because you youngster still don't get it. Which is a real shame.:?