• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry (Knife) Incidient - Bonnie L. Hays Animal Shelter

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Buy me a handgun and I'll carry that instead :D. Until then, I think a big knife serves as a pretty good deterent.

DenWin

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
Its legal to carry any fixed blade knife as long as it isn't concealed? Is it under the same rules as handguns (i.e. localities can restrict it), and does having a CHL change anything, or does it have to be openly carried even if you have a CHL?

PS What about sword-canes?

I don't know about city ordinances, because the ORS only has exemptions for CHL holders involving firearms. There is no minimum length as far as I have seen. A sword cane is considered concealed, which is what it was designed for, to make some one think it's a cane, not a sword. Now lets see here . . . *looks up ORS on-line again to check statutes* . . . Ah, here it is:

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.[/b]

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section.

This is the only statute I can find that involves any edged weapons. As far as Oregon is concerned, you can carry Benchmade's 3300 Infidel (check it out, http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=3300, it's awsome ;))AS LONG AS it is not concealed, ie, belt holster, clipped in pocket with no shirt hanging over it,outer front pocket on a shirt or vest, etc. I wore a SOG SEAL Pup for a long time on my belt, and though I got weird looks from Beaverton PD and WCSD they never had any reason to take it, and I never even got asked about it.

wildgirlnola

imported post

This is anold string, but since I have some inside knowledge on such instances as this I hope I can help bring some light to the situation.

First of all, I carry whatever I need for personal protection from both animals and people. Second, I am involved in animal rescue and have worked with a large number of shelters that adopt out dogs -- including advising and assisting with choosing people who can adopt.

I think it is quite possible someone did complain about the knife and the personnel at this shelter mentioned it to help prevent an elevation of anger and/or fear for the patron(s) who were uncomfortable with the weapon. (Yes, people who do not carry guns and/or knives think they are all weapons regardless of laws or purpose. They are kind of narrow minded that way.)

Another possibility you will encounter when carrying a visible weapon into an animal shelter is that you may be unable to adopt a pet there. You see, a large number of people who work at shelters are there because they don't like animals being mistreated and weapons are commonly carried by the kind of people who will tie a dog on a chain and take it hunting but not out for a walk and who kill squirrels in a game of "plinking". You won't win a popularity contest with those who think this way so just leave your knife in the car if you really want that dog. Even if the employees and volunteers at the humane society don't feel that way, the customers will. Just be prepared to acquiesce to such thoughts because I guarantee you can't explain anything with any favorable result.

Last, as I said, I carry. It's a must for me because I am often in some very bad places and have come face to face with a cougar as well as being beaten within an inch of my life by four thugs. However, I wouldnever be disturbed by someone in an animal shelter asking me to leave myweapon in the car. I would understand that an animal shelter's very purpose is to alleviate suffering for pets and weapons are used to induce suffering........ not specifically for pets, but for whatever is a threat.No, I'm not sayinganyoneat the shelter thinks you would use your weaponon an animal. What I am saying is that it'spoor judgement and of questionable taste to bewearing a weapon in a shelter.

By the way, do you know what disturbs me the most about this collection of posts? That you think it's okay to make fun of a fat woman. Good grief! If you want to appear to be sane and intelligent beings, why did you go down that old dirt road? It's a cliche for people who believe in freedom to carry to bash fat chicks. Being overweight or female has nothing to do with guns or knives or dogs. I know this for a fact. I AM a "fat" chick due to twenty yearslifting weights and training 130 lb dogs and I also carry (the daughter of a gunsmith, I can build a gun - not just shoot it) AND I work for animal shelters.

Just food for thought. I hope I didn't offend anyone as much as they offended me with the cliches, but all's fine in the end because we all believe in freedom.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

However, I wouldnever be disturbed by someone in an animal shelter asking me to leave myweapon in the car. I would understand that an animal shelter's very purpose is to alleviate suffering for pets and weapons are used to induce suffering........ not specifically for pets, but for whatever is a threat.No, I'm not sayinganyoneat the shelter thinks you would use your weaponon an animal. What I am saying is that it'spoor judgement and of questionable taste to bewearing a weapon in a shelter.
Know where else you should never carry? At a mall, or church, or a university; after all, nothing bad EVER happens at places like that. And we would certainlynever want people to think we had 'poor judgement and questable taste'!

Orygunner

imported post

wildgirlnola wrote:
This is anold string, but since I have some inside knowledge on such instances as this I hope I can help bring some light to the situation.

First of all, I carry whatever I need for personal protection from both animals and people. Second, I am involved in animal rescue and have worked with a large number of shelters that adopt out dogs -- including advising and assisting with choosing people who can adopt.

I think it is quite possible someone did complain about the knife and the personnel at this shelter mentioned it to help prevent an elevation of anger and/or fear for the patron(s) who were uncomfortable with the weapon. (Yes, people who do not carry guns and/or knives think they are all weapons regardless of laws or purpose. They are kind of narrow minded that way.)

Another possibility you will encounter when carrying a visible weapon into an animal shelter is that you may be unable to adopt a pet there. You see, a large number of people who work at shelters are there because they don't like animals being mistreated and (1) weapons are commonly carried by the kind of people who will tie a dog on a chain and take it hunting but not out for a walk and who kill squirrels in a game of "plinking". You won't win a popularity contest with those who think this way so just leave your knife in the car if you really want that dog. Even if the employees and volunteers at the humane society don't feel that way, the customers will. Just be prepared to acquiesce to such thoughts because I guarantee you can't explain anything with any favorable result.

Last, as I said, I carry. It's a must for me because I am often in some very bad places and have come face to face with a cougar as well as being beaten within an inch of my life by four thugs. However, I wouldnever be disturbed by someone in an animal shelter asking me to leave myweapon in the car. (2) I would understand that an animal shelter's very purpose is to alleviate suffering for pets and weapons are used to induce suffering........ not specifically for pets, but for whatever is a threat.No, I'm not sayinganyoneat the shelter thinks you would use your weaponon an animal. (3) What I am saying is that it'spoor judgement and of questionable taste to bewearing a weapon in a shelter.

(4)By the way, do you know what disturbs me the most about this collection of posts? That you think it's okay to make fun of a fat woman. Good grief! If you want to appear to be sane and intelligent beings, why did you go down that old dirt road? It's a cliche for people who believe in freedom to carry to bash fat chicks. Being overweight or female has nothing to do with guns or knives or dogs. I know this for a fact. I AM a "fat" chick due to twenty yearslifting weights and training 130 lb dogs and I also carry (the daughter of a gunsmith, I can build a gun - not just shoot it) AND I work for animal shelters.

Just food for thought. I hope I didn't offend anyone as much as they offended me with the cliches, but all's fine in the end because we all believe in freedom.

WildGirlNola, welcome to OCDO!

There are some interesting statements you just made that I would like to address:

1. So if people have this idea that people carrying weapons are cruel to animals, how are we going to change that misconception? If we just leave it in the car, as you suggest, others will just see an ordinary nice person, and nothing ever changes. However, if we are still the same nice person showing interest and kindness to adopting an animal, but now have a weapon on our hip, we have the opportunity to show them their prejudice is unwarranted, and perhaps they will rethink their idea.

2. You're falling for the same crap that the anti-gun groups shovel, which is that "guns are made to kill." By saying "weapons are used to induce suffering," you're ignoring the fact that 99% of the time any weapon is used, nobody gets hurt. For target practicing, it isn't even being used as a weapon. In self-defense, 99% of the time nobody is shot; it's the THREAT of the weapon being used that does the job. Hunting would have a higher rate of injury to the animal being hunted, of course, but only if successful.

(3) Everything is relative.Poor judgement, questionable taste, lack of common sense, etc.are all phrases thrown out there with the expectation that if someone doesn't agree, they obviously don't have any. These are simply opinions, which everyone has a right to, but to be accurate you should preclude statements such as this with "My opinion is..." Because MY opinion is that choosing to leave your weapon in the car because someone maybe offended is poor judgement, and wearing a brown leather holster with a black belt is questionable taste :D )

(4)The comment earlier in the discussion about the fat woman and the spoon is a reference to the old point of "If guns kill people then spoons make people fat." I don't read that as making fun of a fat person, even how it was paraphrased in this discussion. If this is the most disturbing thing you found so far, then I think we'll enjoy having you around.

Stick around, speak your mind, contribute where you wish, and welcome again to OCDO!

...Orygunner...

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
Know where else you should never carry? At a mall, or church, or a university; after all, nothing bad EVER happens at places like that. And we would certainlynever want people to think we had 'poor judgement and questable taste'!

:lol::lol::lol: I love it! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh yea wildgirlnola, if you don't get it I will explainer it to you....That is sarcasm and it is priceless.

wildgirlnola

imported post

:DHi fellow friends!

I used to be a writer, but look how quickly I unlearned everything I used to know about clarification. I'm bad. :lol:

I agreeone hundredpercent regarding educating people that owning/carrying does not make one run around inflicting harm. My comment was to point out some instances where merely being nice isn't going to change that attitude.

I wish I had an answer to the question "how do we educate" regarding misconceptions. I don't. The one underlying fact is people act based on preconceived notions and those notions are almost always difficult to change. I know, because I work in animal rescue, people who work in and visit shelters are predominantly concerned with ending animal abuse. I also knowsome of them are narrow-minded regarding weapons because it is not uncommon to see animals who have been shot or cut up with a knife.* It is this group I am hoping we all can address.Because you are essentially visiting outside the realm of the pro-carry contingent, it's for the best to take that into consideration.

Picture it like this: You won't convince a member of PETA that you can be trusted by talking to them in your leather jacket and you won't convince someone who doesn't believe in carrying weapons you can be trusted with a dog if you have a knife on your hip.

Perhaps, when questioned about the knife, one could say, "It's for protection from other people with weapons. If someone wants to harm me or any of my animals, I will use it to stop them until law enforcement arrives. However, if it bothers you or some of your patrons, I will put it in my car while I'm here. I don't think I should have to. But I will because I am here to adopt a lifelong pet who will be loved and cared for as if it were my own child and it's important to me that you understand many people who carry knives are good and decent people who care so much they are willing to fight for the people and animals they love."It would showyou are different than they expected you to be -- hopefully opening a door that had been closed. (Expect to say it at least a thousand times before you encounter someone willing to change their mind. :banghead:)

"Fat woman" ... *GRIN* Well, now you know I am a warrior against prejudice even when it's used in jest. Sorry. It's just the way this old woman is! I'm bad. I know it. But I would have said something about prejudice against people who carry if I'd been at the shelter that day, too. You should see how ornery I get when I hear redneck jokes about trucks with gunracks.

Here's my offer: I'm too far out of practice to be very good, but I did write professionally in the past. I'll write an article about this subject if you will all provide anecdotal and direct evidence to support our point of view. Moreover, I will send copies of the article to any shelter you wish. As much as you direct your energy to pro-carry issues, I direct mine to animal welfare. No man or woman should be denied a pet because they carry.

* Anyone who has worked in a shelter for very long seesgunshot and knife wounds on animalsagain and again. It prejudices some of us against weapons due to human nature trumping common sense. Some of us know better.

wildgirlnola

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
WildGirlNola, welcome to OCDO!

There are some interesting statements you just made that I would like to address:

1. So if people have this idea that people carrying weapons are cruel to animals, how are we going to change that misconception? If we just leave it in the car, as you suggest, others will just see an ordinary nice person, and nothing ever changes. However, if we are still the same nice person showing interest and kindness to adopting an animal, but now have a weapon on our hip, we have the opportunity to show them their prejudice is unwarranted, and perhaps they will rethink their idea.

2. :exclaim:You're falling for the same crap that the anti-gun groups shovel, which is that "guns are made to kill." By saying "weapons are used to induce suffering," you're ignoring the fact that 99% of the time any weapon is used, nobody gets hurt. For target practicing, it isn't even being used as a weapon. In self-defense, 99% of the time nobody is shot; it's the THREAT of the weapon being used that does the job. Hunting would have a higher rate of injury to the animal being hunted, of course, but only if successful.

(3):? Everything is relative.Poor judgement, questionable taste, lack of common sense, etc.are all phrases thrown out there with the expectation that if someone doesn't agree, they obviously don't have any. These are simply opinions, which everyone has a right to, but to be accurate you should preclude statements such as this with "My opinion is..." Because MY opinion is that choosing to leave your weapon in the car because someone maybe offended is poor judgement, and wearing a brown leather holster with a black belt is questionable taste :D )

(4)The comment earlier in the discussion about the fat woman and the spoon is a reference to the old point of "If guns kill people then spoons make people fat." I don't read that as making fun of a fat person, even how it was paraphrased in this discussion. If this is the most disturbing thing you found so far, then I think we'll enjoy having you around.

Stick around, speak your mind, contribute where you wish, and welcome again to OCDO!

...Orygunner...
Greetings Orygunner.... I love your name. Very clever. Wish I'd thought of it!
:exclaim:Most of those gun control people couldn't convince me it rains in the Willamette Valley.The truth is people think weapons induce suffering. What we are dealing with here is what people think -- whether true or not.You don't hunt or target practice in an animal shelter. Ergo, wearing a knife in a shelter is not going to be seen asbeing forhunting or target practice. That's what my meaning was. Sorry I wasn't more clear.On the other hand, I really, really hope if I ever pull a gun or knife on someone they suffer from some very real and very horrible fear I'll actually use it. ;)
:?You're right. I apologize. I was wrong to say it that way. And I won't even say, "It's my opinion I was wrong." It should be everyone's opinion I was wrong because I am.I should have said, "Although it is unjust to do so, many shelter people will perceive a knife as being a sign of negative human temperamentandanyone who carries shouldexpectit will bea point of contention with those people."
I talk too much. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. Without folks like you fighting to keep our rights we'll lose them and that would be horrific.
Does anyone know if I am allowed to give my 13 year old grandson a knife as a Christmas gift?

JBURGII

imported post

If the knife you carry is longer than your shotgun,

you might be a self defense enthusiast...