• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you need a gun at Walmart?

zoom6zoom

imported post

Some of the open carry naysayers will probably say that if this guy had been OC'ing the goblin would just have shot him first. Nice situational awareness and good use of cover.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-walmart-0828cn,0,356380.story

themorningcall.com
Teen robber shot outside Wal-Mart is charged
4:45 PM EDT, August 28, 2008

A shopper licensed to carry a firearm shot and wounded a 17-year-old boy who allegedly tried to rob him at gunpoint in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart store in East Stroudsburg early this morning.

Stroud Area Regional Police Department said the shopper, Joshua Eastman, 28, of East Stroudsburg, and the 17-year-old boy, Reneau Jean Jacques of 77 Symphony Circle, East Stroudsburg, exchanged gunfire about 12:45 a.m.

Jacques was charged as an adult with criminal attempt to commit homicide, robbery, aggravated assault, crimes committed with firearms, recklessly endangering another person and persons not to possess a firearm. He was arraigned this afternoon before District Judge Michael Muth and is in Monroe County Prison on $100,000 bail.

Jacques was treated for three bullet wounds to his lower legs. Police said he has a prior juvenile criminal record that includes narcotics and indecent assault charges.

Eastman was not struck by a bullet in the exchange, during which at least six shots were fired, police said. But he was cut when a bullet shattered the glass on the passenger's side window of his vehicle.

According to police, the confrontation happened after Eastman finished shopping.

While Eastman was in the parking lot unloading groceries from a cart into the passenger side of his vehicle, Jacques approached, carrying a handgun and wearing a bandana over his face, according to a police news release.

Police said Jacques told them he was "looking for someone to rob."

Eastman said he initially told Jacques he had no money because he had used debit card and that's when Jacques pointed the handgun in a more threatening manner and used a more demanding tone, the news release said.

Eastman told police he then took out his wallet and pushed the passenger door open further to create a barrier between them, and Jacques then pointed the gun at his head. Eastman said he then purposely dropped his wallet and ducked down to pick it up to try to attract attention from other shoppers. That's when Jacques fired the first shot at him through the passenger door window.

"He said he was hoping if there was some delay tactics that someone would notice what was going on and might alert authorities," Capt. William Parrish said. "He was actually injured with the glass from the driver's side door, but he was not struck with the bullet. After he dropped to the ground, he shot the 17-year-old in the legs under the car door."

Parrish said Jacques fired several shots into the car door in an attempt to hit Eastman. After the exchange of gunfire, Eastman ran toward the store and Jacques was found by police hiding in a landscaped area of the parking lot.

Both weapons have been recovered, but Parrish said the evidence is still being processed to determine how many shots were fired from each weapon.

-- Reporting by Joe McDonald and Tracy Jordan, The Morning Call

unreconstructed1

imported post

3points to make here:

A shopper licensed to carry a firearm shot and wounded a 17-year-old boy who allegedly tried to rob him at gunpoint in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart store in East Stroudsburg early this morning.

notice that they made no effort to identify the boy as the "assailent", or any other such term as they would use in a case that would reflect negatively on our RTKBA
Both weapons have been recovered, but Parrish said the evidence is still being processed to determine how many shots were fired from each weapon.

again, notice the language used as to make it appear that Mr. Eastman was less than honorable in this incident.

Jacques was treated for three bullet wounds to his lower legs

it would seem to me that Mr. Eastman would benefit from a decent defensive firearms class.

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive to the presentation of this story, but I find it ironic that even in such a seemingly clear cut case of self defense, that the media makes Mr. Eastman's actions seem somehow questionable.

One more thing.

If Walmart had been a gun free zone, this wouldn't have happened, since we all know that Gun free zones make everyone safer [/sarcasm]

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:

it would seem to me that Mr. Eastman would benefit from a decent defensive firearms class.
After he dropped to the ground, he shot the 17-year-old in the legs under the car door.
Sounds like he was shooting from the ground under the door, so he fired at a known target instead of trying to guess where center of mass was. He definitely gave the bad guy a whole lot more leeway than I would have. Then again, he handled the situation well enough to get out of it alive, so he was successful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glad that the shopper had the means to defend himself and that he prevailed. Hope that he does well after the fact.

His situational awareness, however, was less than 100% to allow the BG to get that close - and with a bandana over his face and brandishing! Can you say "white zone?"

Yata hey

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ne1 wrote:
"It appears to be an armed robbery that went badly for the suspect because he picked an armed customer," said Sgt. James Wielgus.
So, Am I to understand that a legally armed citizen thwarted a crime and avoided becoming a victim; and an authority figure acknowledged it publicly? Must be a fluke... Alignment of stars or something. I just hope I can remain as clear headed in such a situation.

Nice work Joshua Eastman. Thank you for defending the shoppers and associates at Wal-mart. Glad you're OK too.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Six shots... Hmm could it e a revolver?

What cal were the bullets in bad guys leg?
Might need to consider bigger/better bullets if it left anything bigger than a stump.

I do hope the gun has already been returned by now.
After all wallmart still hasn't appologized for endangering his safety by not
reporting the illeagal carriers the way they do the leagal OC'rs.

RIAShooter

imported post

DreQo wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:

After he dropped to the ground, he shot the 17-year-old in the legs under the car door.
Sounds like he was shooting from the ground under the door, so he fired at a known target instead of trying to guess where center of mass was. He definitely gave the bad guy a whole lot more leeway than I would have. Then again, he handled the situation well enough to get out of it alive, so he was successful.
Sounds to me like the 4th shot missed, it should have been lodged somewhere between the optic nerve and brainstem once he hit the ground

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:

Sounds to me like the 4th shot missed, it should have been lodged somewhere between the optic nerve and brainstem once he hit the ground
Yeah, 'cause comments like those are helpful. He neutralized the threat and suffered little injury to himself and none to others. He did exactly what he should have done. It would have been murder to take the time for a properly placed head-shot AFTER the thread ceased.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Yeah, 'cause comments like those are helpful. He neutralized the threat and suffered little injury to himself and none to others. He did exactly what he should have done. It would have been murder to take the time for a properly placed head-shot AFTER the threat ceased.
+1 Temperance gentlemen, temperance.

Yata hey

RIAShooter

imported post

DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:

Yeah, 'cause comments like those are helpful. He neutralized the threat and suffered little injury to himself and none to others. He did exactly what he should have done. It would have been murder to take the time for a properly placed head-shot AFTER the thread ceased.
Sorry we disgree here if he's laying on the ground with a gun, he still has a gun. How many rounds to you fire in self defense? Enough to stop the threat. Unless he threw the gun once he hit the ground, or I saw it hit the ground before he did, I would spend the extra .5 seconds it took me to line up on his head, my personal opinion we don't have to agree

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I do not disagree with continuing to actively defend until the threat has been stopped - to do less is to invite potential disaster.

I am only cautioning on extreme or graphic after action suggestive responses. Obviously what this man did worked - it was enough. I would take pause before saying anything in a manner that might make me appear as judge, jury or simply overly aggressive.

I never wish to take another's life but if forced to, I will strive to stop the threat to the degree that circumstances require. I train to do neither more, nor less.

Yata hey

RIAShooter

imported post

Agreed I would not go all dirty harry on the guy and walk over and talk to him then put one in between his eyes I was saying I'm on the ground shooting him in the only target I can see, (his legs), he hits the ground with a gun he just had pointed at my head, I'm taking the shot I have when he hits the ground

unreconstructed1

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
Agreed I would not go all dirty harry on the guy and walk over and talk to him then put one in between his eyes I was saying I'm on the ground shooting him in the only target I can see, (his legs), he hits the ground with a gun he just had pointed at my head, I'm taking the shot I have when he hits the ground
now that is something I believe that most of us here can agree with completely

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

+1

I do not see from the reports that I have read that the BG ever hit the ground though. Shot in the legs - yes, continued exchanging fire through the car door and then was found hiding.

Eastman did a good thing - he moved - first dropping down, then running away - both good tatical responses.

One thing that bothered me in the report was the statement that "both guns had been recovered." This would seem to imply that Eastman (good guy) hid or tried to hide his weapon which I seriously doubt. Semantics perhaps but better choice of wording exists.

Yata hey