• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

loan/borrow a pistol

Dansjeep2000

imported post

I have searched here and over at MGO but can't find the answer to this. I have read little comments in posts about having another persons pistol (borrow) is legal with a CPL. Is this true? do they need to be family, live in the same house? Can i loan one of my pistols to someone to take the CPL class?

TIA, Dan

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

The only people that can borrow a pistol is someone with a CPL. If you don't have a CPL you CON NOT borrow a pistol.

If you go to the CPL class with them, they can "use" your gun while you are there.

ETA: SQL:p

SQLtables

imported post

If you have a CPL, you can use/carry/transport any handgun that is legally registered to somebody.

If someone is taking a CPL class, I assume they do not have a CPL, so no, they cannot borrow the gun to take the class. If you are in the class with them, you could take it to the range and let them use it though.

ETA: DOUG! :cuss:

Five.Seven

imported post

this is from the MCRGO web site.
ENROLLED HOUSE BILL No. 4642
AN ACT to amend 1927 PA 372, entitled "An act to regulate and license the selling, purchasing, possessing, and carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting devices; to prohibit the buying, selling, or carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting devices without a license or other authorization; to provide for the forfeiture of firearms under certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; to provide immunity from civil liability under certain circumstances; to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local agencies; to prohibit certain conduct against individuals who apply for or receive a license to carry a concealed pistol; to make appropriations; to prescribe certain conditions for the appropriations; and to repeal all acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act," by amending section12 (MCL 28.432), as amended by 2004 PA 99.

[align=center]The People of the State of Michigan enact:
Sec. 12. (1) Sections 2 and 9 do not apply to any of the following:
(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.
(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.
(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.
(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) to (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.
(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's pistol is properly licensed and inspected under this act and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol.
(2) The amendatory act that added subdivision (h) shall be known and may be cited as the "Janet Kukuk act".
Enacting section 1. This amendatory act takes effect July 1, 2006.

This act is ordered to take immediate effect. [/align]