• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got an idea

rodbender

imported post

How about all us Texicans hold an empty holsterget together at the state capitol on the front steps the first day of the legislative session. We could have signs and empty holsters on our belts. We have 4 1/2 months to organize and put our ducks in a row. I suggest we not conceal carry for this event, just empty holsters on our belts.

They will convene on Jan. 13th, it's a Tuesday. Let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Edit: I shuld lern too us spel chek mor offen.

rodbender

imported post

I like it too. But Mike said he thinks it would be no good because the Students for Campus Carry used it and it's kinda their trademark. Since he mentioned it,I kinda agree. Anyboby else come up with something to do Jan. 13th. Start thinking. We need to do something Jan. 13th. OCDO shirts and capswould be a must.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

rodbender wrote:
marklar wrote:
Put a banana in your holster.
Well, I did ask for ideas, didn't I?

Pre-1899 open carry? Under both federal and state law, these firearms are not legally "firearms"; they are antiques. Penal Code section 46.01:

[align=left](3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or
adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy
generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device
readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm
that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other
characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that
is:
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured
before 1899; or
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm
manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim
fire or center fire ammunition.
[/align]​
[align=left]The part subject to interpretation is "a firearm
that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other
characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter". Some might say that this means only those that that have a folding knife or other characteristic made illegal otherwise. My view is that the words "MAY HAVE" are huge and still keeps pre-1899 firearms outside the definition whether they have such a characteristic or not. This is also in keeping with theprior version of this definition which didn't mention any of the folding knife stuffwhere it wasclear that pre-1899 firearms were exempt.[/align]
[align=left]In McIlory v State early this year the 2nd Court of Appeals in Fort Worth dealt with the definition above in the context of a jury charge. It discussed onlythe "antique or curio" or "replica" thereof portion of the definition. If the court thought that the folding knife blade portion was required, I presume it would have been included.[/align]
[align=left]Accordingly, I believe that pre-1899 carry (openly or concealed) is completely legal in TX but without attorneys getting involved and clearing it with DPS, it would be risky to do at the capitol. On the other hand, can't a pro-OC TX attorney somewhere contact the Travis County DA/CA office DPS capitol security and press the issue? I've raised it with the Dallas County DA's office and got back tight-lipped silence whereas we had been corresponding back and forth concerning concealed carry in county buildings. I think it speaks volumes that the conversation was totally shut down when I brought up pre-1899 carry (not necessarily openly).[/align]
[align=left]If anyone knows an attorney who can help us, please bring it up with him or her. This may be our only legal OC opportunity in TX right now and if we could get some official recognition of it, that would be a great first step towards full OC.[/align]
[align=left]SA-TX[/align]