• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I saw a guy open carry yesterday...

GPossenti

imported post

There were no external marks of an LEO, just a big fat Glock on his right side. Even though we walked within 2 feet of the man, the other two people I was with didn't even notice he was carrying.

He walked right into the post office to check his P.O. Box and left.

Hammer

imported post

GPossenti wrote:
There were no external marks of an LEO, just a big fat Glock on his right side. Even though we walked within 2 feet of the man, the other two people I was with didn't even notice he was carrying.

He walked right into the post office to check his P.O. Box and left.
That's livin' large.
If he is simply a citizen, firearms are prohibited on USPS property. If they caught him, there'd have been a scene.
Glad it all was a non-issue.

GPossenti

imported post

It's odd that you say that. There are signs at the post office which state that it is unlawful and carries increased penalties for using a firearm to commit a crime, but the sign doesn't actually say firearms are prohibited.

Hammer

imported post

GPossenti wrote:
It's odd that you say that. There are signs at the post office which state that it is unlawful and carries increased penalties for using a firearm to commit a crime, but the sign doesn't actually say firearms are prohibited.
It's in the US Postal code. Please keep in mind I don't enforce it or care for the code, just mention that it happens to exist.

Prometheus

imported post

The infamous Post Office carry law....

First off I don't want to be the test case.

According to the code one of the exemptions for persons who can carry in a post are "Persons authorized by a State to carry a firearm".

SO-
1- In Indiana there is no state law against Post Office carry.
2- The Indiana LTCH (license to Carry a Handgun) Reads "The Licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person...any handgun...."

So someone in Indiana with a LTCH can legally carry into the PO. Does that mean they won't be harassed? Or even possibly arrested? Can't say.

I don't want to be the test case, hence I don't open carry in the PO.

FYI PO is NOT federal property either.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Prom....that's what I'm getting at. So many variations.

I am excluded by the fact I am commissioned (sworn) by the state of Kentucky, but I do not press that issue. I carry as if I had no badge.

I reckon we must carry as we see fit but not in violation of laws if possible. Each individual must make their own judgement.

Michigander

imported post

I did too. I saw a guy open carryingcarrying what looked to be an AOW shotgun down his pocket, sticking up far enough to be visible for the reciever and grip portion. Only in Arizona would someone who probably doesn't even post here think of doing that. :cool:

unreconstructed1

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I did too. I saw a guy open carryingcarrying what looked to be an AOW shotgun down his pocket, sticking up far enough to be visible for the reciever and grip portion. Only in Arizona would someone who probably doesn't even post here think of doing that. :cool:

did it look like this?

super_shorty_870.jpg

just curious, because I have somewhat of a fixation with the serbu, and then I found out that they made an OC holster for it.

:celebrate

thigh_holster.jpg

now I just need to convince Santa that I have been a good boy

American_Patriot

Carrying in Indiana Post Office...

I live in Southern Indiana (Clark County) and our post offices here have signs all over the place stating that firearms are NOT allowed. Indiana law does state that if there are signs posted, then firearms are NOT allowed and the police can be called.

I keep looking at Indiana Laws, which are crap to try to read, and I want to find it written out for me, that I can carry my handgun holstered on my side and in the open. I have a lifetime carry permit. It says nothing on it about being a CCW permit, just a license to carry. However, I have been told that I can carry it in the open and can still be harassed by law enforcement. I don't want to be harassed. I don't want some arrogant cop to think he can take my gun away or think he can arrest me either. I was at my local Walmart yesterday and my husband and I, both, saw this guy walking around with his wife and he was carrying open. People didn't freak out.
I, personally, would like to see people carry openly. Then I know who is carrying. Less chance some idiot is going to try to pull something stupid if they walk in to rob a place and see a dozen law abiding citizens with firearms holstered on their sides. I have no problem showing my license to a police officer if he asks to see it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I live in Southern Indiana (Clark County) and our post offices here have signs all over the place stating that firearms are NOT allowed. Indiana law does state that if there are signs posted, then firearms are NOT allowed and the police can be called.

I keep looking at Indiana Laws, which are crap to try to read, and I want to find it written out for me, that I can carry my handgun holstered on my side and in the open. I have a lifetime carry permit. It says nothing on it about being a CCW permit, just a license to carry. However, I have been told that I can carry it in the open and can still be harassed by law enforcement. I don't want to be harassed. I don't want some arrogant cop to think he can take my gun away or think he can arrest me either. I was at my local Walmart yesterday and my husband and I, both, saw this guy walking around with his wife and he was carrying open. People didn't freak out.
I, personally, would like to see people carry openly. Then I know who is carrying. Less chance some idiot is going to try to pull something stupid if they walk in to rob a place and see a dozen law abiding citizens with firearms holstered on their sides. I have no problem showing my license to a police officer if he asks to see it.

Welcome to OCDO! And welcome to your husband, too. (If he's not lurking/posting on his own he will get all his information from you.)

Tam http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/ lives and blogs from Broad Ripple in Indianapolis and has come over to the light side (We have cookies, too! They're bigger, better, and have more chocolate than the ones you get on the dark side.) and written about it. Of course she made sort of a big deal about not making a big deal about it, so got comments. Just throwing that out there to let you know it can be done without worry.

One of the best ways to pull the OCers out of the bushes in your area is to arrange a meet-up. Coffee at Starbucks, dinner at <name of restaurant>, litter pick-up arranged with the Public Works/Highway Dept., picnic in the park (check your local laws to be sure carry in the park is OK). Announce over in the Indiana forum http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?98-Indiana where and when you are going to be there and invite anybody who wants to join you to show up. You can meet the nicest strangers that way and turn some of them into friends.

stay safe.

American_Patriot

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to OCDO! And welcome to your husband, too. (If he's not lurking/posting on his own he will get all his information from you.)

:)Thanks for the Welcome! My husband WILL get his info from me. He isn't the computer geek that I am. Plus, he works too many hours. I will talk to him about planning a get together for OCers. Sounds really good. Maybe in Late September at the Falls of the Ohio. In June of last year, I believe, it became a state law that guns were allowed in state parks and in hospitals (by visitors). I have a permit to carry on all military bases in the U.S. (because I totally freaked them out when I told them at the gate at Ft. Carson in Jan 08 [when visiting my son] that I was carrying). However, I am not allowed to carry on any other federal or state property. Even when I go to the gun shows at the state fairgrounds.

Anyway.. I am glad to be part of this group. For any Veterans, Troops, Military Families, Police officers, Firefighters, EMTs/Paramedics on here... Thank you all for your service to our country and communities. My husband and I truly enjoy our freedoms that we have and those who work to keep those freedoms and us safe.
God Bless You All!

Vanessa
American Patriot
Proud Infidel
Extremely Proud 2 Star Blue Star Mom

My heroes don't wear capes - They wear kevlar!

American_Patriot

AOW shotgun

I thought shotguns had to have a barrel length of so many inches. Like 18" or so. Not trying to be devil's advocate, just wanting to know. It's pretty awesome looking and would be very intimidating to the person who came upon you in a bad situation.:)

JoeSparky

Centurion
I thought shotguns had to have a barrel length of so many inches. Like 18" or so. Not trying to be devil's advocate, just wanting to know. It's pretty awesome looking and would be very intimidating to the person who came upon you in a bad situation.:)

If your state does not have a law against it and your apply for and receive your $200.00 tax stamp from BATFE you to can possess and own a SBS--- Short barrelled shotgun (<16in).

In the case of the serba shorty with the PISTOL grip it is class as a Federal AOW with only has a $5.00 tax stamp but all the same application/approval process.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
American_Patriot;1587504:)Thanks for the Welcome! My husband WILL get his info from me. He isn't the computer geek that I am. I have a permit to carry on all military bases in the U.S. (because I totally freaked them out when I told them at the gate at Ft. Carson in Jan 08 [when visiting my son said:
that I was carrying). However, I am not allowed to carry on any other federal or state property. Even when I go to the gun shows at the state fairgrounds.

Vanessa

Inquiring minds want to know what kind of permit do you have that lets you carry on military facilities but not other federal or state property.

You say you have an Indiana lifetime permit but cannot carry at the gunshow at the State Fairgrounds, and wonder if it allows you to CC at all. I highly recommend you haul yourself over to the Indiana state forum and start reading, then asking questions. Those folks over there may not know how to drive (yes, I have travelled through Indiana both from East-to-West and North-to-South. Life insurance company threatened to cancel me if I did it again.) but they sure know their gun laws and can explain them.

stay safe.

Gunslinger

If your state does not have a law against it and your apply for and receive your $200.00 tax stamp from BATFE you to can possess and own a SBS--- Short barrelled shotgun (<16in).

In the case of the serba shorty with the PISTOL grip it is class as a Federal AOW with only has a $5.00 tax stamp but all the same application/approval process.

Exactly correct. It's 5 bucks to carry a no shoulder stock shotgun of any barrel length. Unless it has a rifled barrel, as some sabot load shotguns do. Then it is a pistol not an AOW. No different than the Judge.