• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

georgia law on work place firearms

exgabrit

imported post

I know I've asked a similar question before, but does anyone know if there is a specific section of georgia code that restricts an employee taking their firearm into their place of work ?
i'm assuming its just at the discretion of the actual business you work for, as gun stores allow employees to carry.

i've read that you may carry a firearm in to your place of work if there isn't any pre-existing regs that the company has stated that no firearm are permittied ?

thanks for any clarification.

rmodel65

imported post

afaik and ianal you need a gun license, but that wont protect you from getting fired.

but you have to ask the question what is worth more your life or a job, hmmm...... tough choice :?

exgabrit

imported post

Have a license, the company i'm at only has 4 employees now, and 3 of us have guns, 2 of us including the CEO have them always in our cars.

so i'm figuring then it's just up to the company itself, if so, the company doesn't have gun policy at all.

rmodel65 wrote:
afaik and ianal you need a gun license, but that wont protect you from getting fired.

but you have to ask the question what is worth more your life or a job, hmmm...... tough choice :?

officerjdc

imported post

Let me clarify this if I can. First off, if youwork in a place that's specifically included in the definition of a "public gathering" you can forget about carrying there unless you are a LEO. If you're selling peanuts at Savannah Sand Gnats games, a bartender in a nightclub, or your workplace is in a publicly owned building then no packing at work for you.

If that's not the case there is no state law that would statutorilyprohibit you from packing at work, however, your employer does have the right to regulate the carry of weapons on the job by employees. If your employer has a policyagainst weapons in the workplace and they catch you packing with a license the mostthey can do to you isfire you and ask you to leave their premises and not come back, and if you refuse to leave or return after being told not to you can be charged with a misdemeanor trespassing charge that is so minor you won't lose your GFL if you're convicted.

Ilooked all this upwhen I firstapplied formy GFL back in 2001. At the time I was a telemarketer for a company that had a no weapons policy that also included knives of any size. I remember one man I worked with therebeing terminated for having a single blade knife with a blade less than an inch long on his keyring when he had the keyring sitting openlyon his desk in front of himand a supervisor saw the knife on it. I also remember a woman being written up for having a small paring knife in her lunch box when she started to cut up an apple in front of another supervisor in the break area outside. She was told she'd be fired if she brought a knife of any kind to work again.After I checked the law I decided to pack a Glock 19 at work daily under a vest once my GFL came in the mail. In just over a year and a half of me doing that no one ever figured out what I was doing.

exgabrit

imported post

I work in a small office (IT shop) in an industrial park, mostly 2 people, sometimes all 4 of us are there. we're all pro-gun, even the guy who doesn't own one.
The primary CEO / manager is ex-mil, so i doubt if there was a gun in the office it wouldn't both him too much, i think all that would happen is being asked to drop it in the car. the CEO has his gun in his car, i have mine in the car, and the other guy doesn't have a GFL yet, so his is at home.
i've read the hand book cover to cover and the work 'gun' isn't shown, so there isn't any no-firearms clause.

so i guess as there isn't a georgia reg, i'll be bringing two lunch bags to work and keeping one in the fridge and one in my desk.

the main reason i'm trying to find out the law on it is that our office doesn't have a rear exit, so there is no escape if some one walks through the front door.

officerjdc wrote:
Let me clarify this if I can. First off, if youwork in a place that's specifically included in the definition of a "public gathering" you can forget about carrying there unless you are a LEO. If you're selling peanuts at Savannah Sand Gnats games, a bartender in a nightclub, or your workplace is in a publicly owned building then no packing at work for you.

If that's not the case there is no state law that would statutorilyprohibit you from packing at work, however, your employer does have the right to regulate the carry of weapons on the job by employees. If your employer has a policyagainst weapons in the workplace and they catch you packing with a license the mostthey can do to you isfire you and ask you to leave their premises and not come back, and if you refuse to leave or return after being told not to you can be charged with a misdemeanor trespassing charge that is so minor you won't lose your GFL if you're convicted.

Ilooked all this upwhen I firstapplied formy GFL back in 2001. At the time I was a telemarketer for a company that had a no weapons policy that also included knives of any size. I remember one man I worked with therebeing terminated for having a single blade knife with a blade less than an inch long on his keyring when he had the keyring sitting openlyon his desk in front of himand a supervisor saw the knife on it. I also remember a woman being written up for having a small paring knife in her lunch box when she started to cut up an apple in front of another supervisor in the break area outside. She was told she'd be fired if she brought a knife of any kind to work again.After I checked the law I decided to pack a Glock 19 at work daily under a vest once my GFL came in the mail. In just over a year and a half of me doing that no one ever figured out what I was doing.

exgabrit

imported post

well, they can't afford to fire any of us, we have the 'knowledge'. it would be adios company :)

GaGunOwner wrote:
A GFL isn't required at your place of business (where you work).

With or without a GFL you can be fired by your employer.

rmodel65

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:

dont you have to be the lead mgr on duty to not need the license?

exgabrit

imported post

thats the funny thing, we kinda all are project leads and manage ourselves (plus a bunch of indians).

rmodel65 wrote:
GaGunOwner wrote:

dont you have to be the lead mgr on duty to not need the license?