• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McCain's VP? - Sarah Palin

thorvaldr

imported post

I had been willing to vote for McCain just because I want Obama to not be president sooooo bad, but now I'm actually excited. Now I can vote for Palin and against Obama and Biden all at the same time.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well now Hillery's only chance is to hope for Bob Barr to win.

Obama would destroy the country, and therfore her chances in 4 years.

Now the other side with a women in the VP ofice again, but this one is
there to do a job, and not enable wholesale molestation of women.
There goes her experience angle.

The only thing I need to look at is this nuckling under to judicial extortion.
There is nothing in constitution that allows a judge to order a Gov to sign something.
Will google it this weekend. But otherwise looks like a good choice, probably
first one McCain made in a long time.

Can't wait to watch her drill through Bidens head to get to the oil,
(greasy cesspool) that he hides in there.

Still wil not watch the pres debates unless there is more than those two yahoos
onstage.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
impulse418 wrote:
Pro-Life FTL

Everything else I agree with.
Agree......but if that's all that's wrong, she's still better than any other person out there running for public office, in my opinion........
I'm also pro-choice, and wanted to just throw something out there.

Liberals make a big deal about presidential (and vice presidential) candidates being pro-life, predicting that they will appoint justices that will overturn Roe v Wade.

Here are the facts: Since the decision in 1973, there have been 10 new justices appointed. 7 of those by pro-life presidents. In spite of this, Roe v Wade hasn't come under any serious challenge.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If President McCain keeps his pledge and appoints non-activist, strict-constructionist judges to the SCOTUS in the next 4 years, and Sarah Palin, as our first female president, does the same, the nation might be free from liberal judicial fascism for the next 50 years or so (and the 2nd Amendment will be safe).

Some think Mc Cains' SCOTUS comments are just window-dressing. If so, why would he pick Palin, knowing that she will likely succeed him?

Hillary's chances in 2012 just went down the dumper for good. If she went head-to-head with Palin, for whom do you think Americans would vote?

Obama's over-the-top narcissism was on display last night, but has accomplished almost nothing. I watched the McCain/Palin speeches at noon, and the energy in that large crowd was absolutely astounding. Some poster here said McCain would be lucky to fill a high school auditorium. Heh, heh, heh,....anyone of that mind will eat those words big time in the coming weeks. This was a brilliant move on his part, tactically and strategically. The Dems must be changing all their underwear about now.....

tarzan1888

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
GJD wrote:
Mr. Huffman is not a fan of the NRA, and VP Palin is a lifetime member.
Mr. Huffman is not a fan of the right wing of the Democrats, the repugnant GOP. I am an arch conservative.

But Doug...How do you really feel.....:lol::lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist......but you, I am sure, know that I do respect you and your opinions greatly.

Tarzan

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
i cannot support anyone who is pro-choice. i am happy he didn't pick Leiberman or those others. My morals come first.

Funny set of "morals" you've got there. I guess individual liberty doesn't qualify as "moral" under your system, eh?

Being pro-life is all well and good, but until the government can enact "pro-life" policies without infringing upon the self-determination and property rights of the individual (rights our whole society is built around), I don't see how it can be compatible with individual liberty.

Maybe in a future where to government could require fetuses to be given up for transplantation rather than abortion, I could see being "pro-life."

Gunslinger

imported post

marshaul wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:
i cannot support anyone who is pro-choice. i am happy he didn't pick Leiberman or those others. My morals come first.

Funny set of "morals" you've got there. I guess individual liberty doesn't qualify as "moral" under your system, eh?

Being pro-life is all well and good, but until the government can enact "pro-life" policies without infringing upon the self-determination and property rights of the individual (rights our whole society is built around), I don't see how it can be compatible with individual liberty.

Maybe in a future where to government could require fetuses to be given up for transplantation rather than abortion, I could see being "pro-life."
Killing an unborn baby is a "property rights" issue? WTF are you smoking today?

yeahYeah

imported post

marshaul wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

it's murder. 40 million + of my generation never had a chance. Abortion is liberalism plain and simple. Abortion is the solution for people who choose not to take responsibility. Liberalism.

I will leave it at that as this subject can quickly spiral out of control.

Tawnos

imported post

*sigh* No clear choice who to vote for.
I like McCain's economic/2A policy better than Obama
I prefer Obama's stance on abortion, gay marriage, healthcare, education, and most of the other issues. The problem, for me, is that I tend to prioritize economics first, but the counter-balance of so many other issues makes it hard...

I'm an atheist who is pro-choice on pretty much everything. I know too many women who have found themselves in unfortunate circumstance and had an abortion rather than destroy their lives. It was not a choice made easily or lightly, and to disregard the need of some women in that situation is callous at best. Blather all you want about birth control, abstinence, whatever: the fact is that circumstances arise where a woman feels she has no way out, and it's not my place to tell her that a parasite living in her body cannot be extradited.

Similarily, I know many gays, lesbians, bisexuals, et cetera. It's not for me, but why should I be given different, preferential treatment, simply because I'm attracted to the opposite gender exclusively?

Perhaps it's my ex-Christian background (was a Christian until about 2 years ago, when the inconsistencies finally boiled over and I had the ephiphone that 'this is BS'), but I don't think mythology belogns in school. At the Christian school I attended, creationism was taught exclusively, and it was a great disservice when I began to learn biology and science from the empirical side. Teaching one culture's myths as truth (or as an alternative theory that's just as value) opens the door for the debasement of other scientific inquiry, and we'v ealready lost much of the prowess once held in the maths and sciences.

I think both people make equaly valid claims in healthcare, but I think it's time to drop the status quo and try something different.

So, who do I vote for? How can I find someone who represents me, someone who loves freedom? The libertarian party seems the obvious choice, but when I read their policy platform I get chills at their idea of a commodity-backed economy.

If any of you hear a guy flipping a coin at the polls, that might just be me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You needn't fear the free-marketeers in the Libertarian Party. A "free market" -- which we have never managed to build in this country, least of all today -- really represents little more than accepting that the forces of supply and demand, and ultimately the exchange of value, create any economy (regulated or free market), and thus by unfettering those processes the creation of value can be maximized. This is very different than the "free-market" the GOP blabs on about, which is little more than pandering to corporate special interest.

Read what Thomas Jefferson (a true "free-marketeer") had to say about corporations:

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country.

What I fear in the formerly-Libertarian Party is the interventionist attitude of Bob Barr, and the recent spate of bigots and other opponents of social liberty who have "become" Libertarians in his wake.

Edit: And if you're talking merely about the "return to the gold standard," well, I don't agree with it, but it doesn't give me chills either. All currency is fiat money. Unless you plan on carrying around gold or silver.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Yes, it's a property rights issue. Your body is the only piece of property we are all born with. Our body, and our property rights over it, are the source of the rest of the "natural rights."

http://users.ugent.be/~frvandun/Texts/Logica/NaturalLaw2.htm

Edit: fair enough, though. This is going to get off-topic rapidly.

Last I checked only half of baby was hers.
Where are the rights for the other halfs property?

There goes joint bank accounts, and ownership of the house. Nope all hers, sorry.

stanicus

imported post

I feel sorry for people who vote based solely onone issue. Please take the time to look at the whole picture. You have over 60 days to research. No matter who you vote for, do the research first. And for god's sake, base it on all the issues, not just guns (I know ironic posting this on a gun board) He just made the pick and you've already made your decision! I'm close on mine, but I need more research on all of them before I make my decision. Don't tell me the vice president pick is not important. They are one dead president form being in charge. The tax plans are a little concern for me for one. http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/411693_CandidateTaxPlans.pdf
Look at the graphs at the bottom of those tax plans and tell me which one is better for the average American.

Just because someone is old or young is not reason to not vote for them.

Just because someone is black or a woman is not reason to vote for them.

Just because someone is pro-choice, it doesn't make them pro-abortion.

Just because someone sent you an email(or posted it on a message board) doesn't make it true. Do the research and then make your decision.

GEORGE WASHINGTON (1732-1799) "Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder."

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969) "The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."