• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our new VP?

Armed

imported post

FoxNews just announced - its official! He will make a public announcement at 12pm ET. I had never heard of her until just a few days ago, and so far I really like what I'm hearing about her. Sounds like she's a solid conservative. Wish I could say the same for McCain!

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

US election: John McCain chooses Alaska governor Sarah Palin as running mate

Republican presidential nominee John McCain today selected Alaska governor Sarah Palin, a relative political novice, as his vice-presidential running mate.
The move is a bold play for the potentially millions of disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters who yearn to vote for a woman candidate in the November election and who have remained impervious to Democratic pleas for party unity.
"Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president," the McCain campaign wrote in a news release.
"She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.
"Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us - Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent."
The announcement came the morning after Barack Obama's well-received address on the final day of the Democratic convention, a transparent effort to keep pundits from discussing Obama.
Texas senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, one of the senior women in the US Senate, praised Palin as "a breath of fresh air".
"They wanted to show that they are independent and that they are the agents of change and they have gone outside the [Washington area] to do it," she told MSNBC television. "Of course there's a risk, and I think John McCain assessed that risk".
Conservative activists today applauded the pick.
David Keene, chairman of the American conservative union, said the selection is "great news for conservatives".
"Her dedication to principle, her courage both before and after her election as governor of Alaska and her personal qualities make her a perfect choice for vice-president," he said.
"Any conservatives who have been lukewarm thus far in their support of the McCain candidacy will work their hearts out between now and November for the McCain-Palin ticket."
The conservative Washington anti-tax group Club for Growth was quick to praise Palin, lauding her "fiscal responsibility" and opposition to the use of public money on a notorious bridge project in an empty quarter of Alaska.
"At a time when many Republicans are still clinging to pork-barrel politics, Governor Palin has quickly become a leader on this issue," said Club for Growth President Pat Toomey. "She is a principled reformer who understands how badly wasteful spending has marred the Republican brand."
Barack Obama spokesman Bill Burton mocked the selection and noted Palin's anti-abortion stance.
"Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency," he said. "Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v Wade, the agenda of big oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies - that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same".
Palin's selection is sure to excite the news media and thrill voters at the prospect that the next administration will feature either the first female vice-president or African-American president.
As unexpected and unusual as Palin's selection is, she is not the first woman to stand for vice-president. That was Geraldine Ferraro, a New York congresswoman who in 1984 ran alongside Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale.
Palin, 44, is Alaska's first female governor. She was sworn in December 2006, making her one of the least experienced people to run for vice-president in recent memory. Alaska is one of the smallest states in the US, with only 670,000 residents.
Before becoming governor, Palin served two terms as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, a town of 9,800 people, and was on the city's council before that. In the 2006 Alaska gubernatorial race, Palin bested the incumbent Republican governor during the primary election.
In recent days, McCain personally interviewed Palin at his ranch in Sedona, Arizona.
In selecting a decidedly unconventional running mate, McCain passed over establishment favourites Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.
Palin will have to face Democratic vice-presidential nominee Joe Biden in a televised debate September 2 in St Louis, Missouri.
Biden, a Delaware senator, is known as a skilled and tactful debater, and is a foreign policy expert, chairing the Senate foreign relations committee. Obama announced his selection of Biden last weekend.
The announcement was eagerly anticipated among Republicans, who travel this weekend to St Paul, Minnesota, for their national convention, which kicks off on Monday. Palin is to address the convention on Wednesday, and will likely launch blistering attacks on Obama.
Today is John McCain's 72nd birthday, and the youthful Palin is a welcome contrast. She is three years younger than Obama. In addition, she was a runner-up to the Miss Alaska beauty pageant.
She would present a new face unfamiliar to most of the country, and would stir up the race and excite the news media.
At 44, she would be a youthful addition to the ticket. She brings several characteristics sure to encourage the Republican base: She is an avid fisher and hunter, a member of the politically powerful National Rifle Association. She is opposed to abortion rights, and favours expanded drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge.
Her husband Todd has American Indian roots. The two have five children, one of whom suffers from Down's syndrome and the eldest of which recently enlisted in the army.

thorvaldr

imported post

yale wrote:
Wow. Almost makes me wish my vote meant something. I hope the Electorial College elects McCain and Palin for us.
Here's my (unsolicited) advice to you:

1. If you don't like the electoral college, don't tell me, tell your representatives. The electoral college is silly and antiquated and the dems probably don't like it because it screwed them in '04.
2. Vote for McCain anyway. This VP pick makes me not at all concerned how much bacon McCain eats.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

She's kinda cute, too!

sarah_palin2.jpg

Armed

imported post

Is anyone listening to her acceptance speach right now? My lord, this woman is going to use Obama BinBiden for a floor mop!! I think Alaska is my new favorite state! :celebrate

Armed

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Stealing hilary votes?

That's a very strong possibility. All of those disenfranchised voters who were rather vocal about Hillary not at least being VP, might go for McCain just to see a woman get into the Whitehouse. I don't agree with the logic, but if they support McCain - I'm okay with it.

I can imagine the Dems just crapping their pants right now... :p

Prophet

imported post

First of all i was stunned that he picked her. I was almost sure it was going to be Romney, with "stunner" pick being Jindal. But I have to say that I am LOVING this pick.

The more I read about her the more I like and I think that the "lack of foreign experience" crap that the dems are trying to use all ready ain't gonna fly. I would rather have the VP learn about foreign policy on the fly than I would having the actual president learning it. But Obama was a Senator for about 50 days or so before announcing his candidacy for presidency so maybe he's a fast learner.

Anyways, she's a firm 2nd amendment supporter, wants to drill, worried about the enviroment, has a son in Iraq, opposes pork spending, and doesnt toe the party line if it goes against her convictions.

I have to agree with Thorvaldr, John McCain can eat deep fried bologna and potato chip sandwiches wrapped in bacon on two butter battered donuts for buns for 3 meals a day if he wantsnow that I know Palin would be backing him up.

And yeah...for a chick in her mid 40's she is a cutey. Runner up to Miss Alaska? Not bad. Watch the democrats shoot themselves in the foot when they try to mock her for that...because you know they will. HUGE backlash from women.

Speaking of which, this choice also gravels Biden a bit. He was going to be all attack dog like...well...women arent going to like the rabid foamy mouthed senator from Delaware too much if he gets off his leash.

Huck

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
OMG! This is great!

A female....lifetime member of the NRA!

A hunter, a fishermen, and a maverick!

This is too great!
Hell yeah! Boot McC and put Sarah on the ticket for pres!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Armed wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Stealing hilary votes?

That's a very strong possibility. All of those disenfranchised voters who were rather vocal about Hillary not at least being VP, might go for McCain just to see a woman get into the Whitehouse. I don't agree with the logic, but if they support McCain - I'm okay with it.

They're already calling foul, claiming that it's nothing more than a "strategic move". A rather a silly accusation if you ask me. Anyone who wasn't being strategic in a presidential race wouldn't get very far...

G

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
OMG! This is great!

A female....lifetime member of the NRA!

A hunter, a fishermen, and a maverick!

This is too great!
Yep and tied to Big Oil. Don't think the Dems will have fodder for her husband working for BP and the implications that surely will be present, think again...

hsmith

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Armed wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Stealing hilary votes?

They're already calling foul, claiming that it's nothing more than a "strategic move". A rather a silly accusation if you ask me. Anyone who wasn't being strategic in a presidential race wouldn't get very far...
:lol: EXACTLY! It is all about "stategory"!