• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevadan to visit y'all in CA

icode

imported post

I'm bringing my family and my guns to visit the beauty of your state in Big Bear this weekend for the holiday. As I understand the pamphlet (thank you) I can carry my firearm upon my person (OC) in my car and any where else (given the obvious restrictions, fedral buildings etc) provided that the loaded clip is NOT in the gun. And I can have my riles in their cases under my back seat provided that the mags and chambers are empty. Am I correct? Sorry for the short notice, we just decided last night to embark on this trip :)

TIA.

poothrowingape

imported post

ya sounds about right. make sure your cases are locked if in the same comparment as you. and since youre coming here, i'd assume you were coming to see our natural wonders. so be aware of where you are as in a state park or national forrest, blah blah blah.

AlanR

imported post

If it's in a holster it's not concealed. If it's in a case it is concealed and the case must be locked if in the passenger compartment. If in a locked trunk or pickup utility box that counts as the locked container (though some CHP will argue with that.)

Also, make sure you leave behind your full capacity magazines. Don't bring any magazines for pistols or rifles capable of holding more than ten rounds.

Be aware that unloaded open carry, while perfectly legal in most places, is not common at all and may result in delays in your trip.

Enjoy your visit.

cato

imported post

Have a locking case as an option if at times it needs to be locked up in the vehicle.

Good luck and realize you are assuming a level of risk as we've not yet (hardly at all) educated LE on this topic in most parts of the state. You may be the first in Big Bear. The brochure should be helpful. Be aware of school zones (never admit knowledge of them however).

If I were you I print out everything over at californiaopencarry.org

photo by Oleg Volk:

icode

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I hope that doesn't mean you're refraining from posting your experience due to LE interaction... please let us know how it went if you can.

No, nothing like that. My wife's friend's husband (call him Johnny) is a felon and he didn't want he having my sidearm near him. So, I left my guns locked in the trunk. I have been discussing with cato the legality of me OC'ing even while in the company of a felon, but Johnny doesn't want to take even the slightest chance. So, out of respect for his freedom... no OC for me. Thanks for all your input and help anyway. Next month we're going to Utah and there will be no felons around so I will absolutely be OC'ing.

ETA: Big Bear was beautiful, I had never been there before. The fishing was crap though :banghead: