• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McCain Picks Hunting, Pistol Packing, Constitution Loving, Babe

Statesman

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I think it is the best choice he could have made.

No question he's a master politician. The timing stole Obama's thunder nicely, too.

Too bad what this country needs is a statesman...
Ron Paul is sharp as a tack, would eat Obama / McCain alive in any debate, and in good health. Ron Paul is also a true statesman, IMHO.

savery

imported post

It's just a shame that the VP has as much power as the queen of england.

I'm still not voting for Mccain. Ever heard the saying "you can't polish a turd"?

Gene Beasley

imported post

Since my first presidential vote for Ford, I have only voted for one - Reagan. All other votes were against the worse choice. I have also voted my conscience, which got us Clinton (thus Ginsburg in 1993 and untold number of federal judiciary appointments). When everything stinks, it boils down to which one stinks the least and can do the least amount of long-term damage to our country. I have only regretted one presidential vote. I should have held my nose and voted for Bush41.

I embrace many, if not most, of the libertarian ideals. I admire the passion that the Paul supporters have. Perhaps you will be more at peace with your decision fifteen years down the road than I was.

As a reminder, the slag of SCOTUS is:
Age on Jan 20 2009 2013
Stevens 88.8 92.8
Ginsburg 75.9 79.9
Breyer 70.4 74.4
Souter 69.3 73.3

codename_47

imported post

I too have to raise the "WTF was he thinking flag."

I get it that he didn't want to piss off the religious right base, but I don't think it is doing a lot to draw people to his campaign.

The economy is a prime concern to many voters and I don't see her adding anything to McCain's ticket.

I see much larger issues looming like the an iceberg in the North Atlantic and unfortunately nobody is addressing them (except for Dr. Paul):

National debt is going to run past 10T

SS is on life support

Medicare is paying out more than it is taking in RIGHT NOW.

Inflation out of control

The housing market in the morgue

Fannie and Freddie about to be taken over

Banks failing across the country

Given the Heller ruling, I wouldn't be super concerned about anyone in congress rushing to push any new gun control legislation.

I majored in economics, and I am TERRIFIED.

DenWin

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
I too have to raise the "WTF was he thinking flag."

I get it that he didn't want to piss off the religious right base, but I don't think it is doing a lot to draw people to his campaign.

The economy is a prime concern to many voters and I don't see her adding anything to McCain's ticket.

I see much larger issues looming like the an iceberg in the North Atlantic and unfortunately nobody is addressing them (except for Dr. Paul):

National debt is going to run past 10T

SS is on life support

Medicare is paying out more than it is taking in RIGHT NOW.

Inflation out of control

The housing market in the morgue

Fannie and Freddie about to be taken over

Banks failing across the country

Given the Heller ruling, I wouldn't be super concerned about anyone in congress rushing to push any new gun control legislation.

I majored in economics, and I am TERRIFIED.
When it comes to economics, I usually keep three things in mind:

1) There will always be a rising national debt.

2) The economy will always stumble into a depression at some point.

3) Use 5.56x45 because that's what the government uses ;)

Alec411

imported post

CODENAME:

Mine is a P.h.D. in Econ/Finance; WORRIED? I am building a Safe Room in the Bunker; with an add-on underground Walmart Food Mart!

DenWin

imported post

Alec411 wrote:
CODENAME:

Mine is a P.h.D. in Econ/Finance; WORRIED? I am building a Safe Room in the Bunker; with an add-on underground Walmart Food Mart!

Me, I stock up on ammo . . . :idea:if I'm hungry, I go next door, where those people stored food

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

OK, so I'm not really that kind of person, but it's funny to think about :p

codename_47

imported post

2) The economy will always stumble into a depression at some point.

Pfft, if we stopped at a depression, it would be a miracle. I expect it to be far worse than that. I am talking about permanently damaging our ability to compete world wide.

It is already happening right now given our devalued currency and raging budget deficits. We are exporting our wealth, and other countries are buying up our businesses and pretty soon we will just be a nation working for the Chinese, Japanese, Russians, and oil barons in the Middle East.

Citi just got a huge cash injection from the Saudi's.

Lehman couldn't even get a bid on a 50% stake from China or Korea.

Inbev just bought out Budweiser.

I don't see anyone doing anything to stop it, either. Nobody is talking about it. The band is just playing on...

The lack of outrage is the most amazing part. If you can be calm at a time like this maybe you don't understand the situation.

Let me put it this way: the sideshow of pro life v pro choice REALLY won't matter much if oil blasts through 200/barrel next summer.

The sideshow of Adam and Steve getting married or not really won't matter if people decide to start trading oil in Euro's vs dollars.

You can have your own personal belief's and life choices, but seriously people need to set some priorities on what is important and what is not important.

I can see the religious right high fiving each other as congress passes a ban on stem cell research, gay marriage, and repeal Roe v Wade as the national debt runs past 12T, SS and medicare go bankrupt, and other countries stop lending us money.

CrossBow33

imported post

+1

Still. It's depressing...we're watching ourselves slide into irrelevance.

We could find ourselveswhere the Russians were a few years ago, before their wells started producing. And the only politically feasible (ie; lining the coffers of the major contributors) way out of it is to pollute our way out of it. Just like the Russians. So...we drill! We don't seem to have the will to seriously embrace alternatives.

It ought to be interesting, as the country more and more resembles itself in 1933, to see where so-called "Friends of the Second ammendment" stand. It's easy to be pro-2A if you don't think the pitchforks will be turned on you.

Sorry 'bout the mixed metaphor!

Alexcabbie

imported post

CrossBow33 wrote:
+1

Still. It's depressing...we're watching ourselves slide into irrelevance.

We could find ourselveswhere the Russians were a few years ago, before their wells started producing. And the only politically feasible (ie; lining the coffers of the major contributors) way out of it is to pollute our way out of it. Just like the Russians. So...we drill! We don't seem to have the will to seriously embrace alternatives.

It ought to be interesting, as the country more and more resembles itself in 1933, to see where so-called "Friends of the Second ammendment" stand. It's easy to be pro-2A if you don't think the pitchforks will be turned on you.

Sorry 'bout the mixed metaphor!
In 1933 people were much more comfy with guns. The armed citizens of some town in Indiana shot the living hell out of John Dillinger's gang when they tried to rob a bank back in that day, there was also less crime percentagewise even though everybody needed money, and the common folk being armed had a great deal to do with that.

As to "embracing alternatives" it sounds good until you realize that if you run your car off electricity that's NOT gonna be free, your electric bill will go WAY up if you power your car from an outlet. And not only that, but everybody elses bill will go way up to because increased demand means higher prices. Natural gas? It may be much less expensive than gasoline NOW but wait until it is used as a motor fuel. Same deal. And not only THAT, but petroleum (crude oil) will still be needed to produce lubricants, plastics, asphalt and petroleum jelly for bedroom use by the weenies who want to take over and sissify this nation. And that oil has to be refined before it is used; and gasoline is a necessary by-product of refining. It'll be burned off anyway. Before the gasoline engine it was considered a waste product.

MY alternative is a car without a driver's seat or steering wheel. It'd be for people who have lost their ass and have no place to turn:shock: