Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What really takes place with Background checks ??

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Hello Guys and Gals. New here but give me some time and I'll find my way around. I've got a have to know Question, I've been delayed on firearms purchases since my very firstnew purchase ever, be it Handgun,Hipower Rifle, or Shotgun.Is this something that lots of folks experience, or is it just my black cloud??

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    Thankfully in Utah we are still free to buy and sell privately! But my brother has never had a problem, so it may be something related to you or someone with a similar name...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    I've never been Charged or Convicted of even a Mister meener, only thing against me other than can't grow hair on my head is a couple of speeding tickets of which the most recent is atleast 10 yrs old.. I know this is a necessary process in todays society, But Jeeze,, every stinking time DELAYED !!

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    My name flew right through the instant check. Some people, however, have names that are the same as - or are similar to - names on various government watch lists. Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresseses and SS number. After a few days (3, IIRC), the dealer can legally release it to you if there's been no reply.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    My name flew right through the instant check. Some people, however, have names that are the same as - or are similar to - names on various government watch lists. Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresseses and SS number. After a few days (3, IIRC), the dealer can legally release it to you if there's been no reply.
    I just bought a new handgun just the other day and he no more than hit enter and I was approved.

    My wife... on the other hand is flagged and it takes a minimum or 1 hour to clear her for EVERY purchase.She has a CC permit too!!

    So I am not sure what it is checking.



  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas, USA
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresses and SS number.
    There is someone on that list with the same name as mine. If I forget to call the airline and make them aware of my itinerary, I get extra attention at the airport every time I fly. Since I oftendeclare a firearm in my checked bag this can be loads of fun. The TSA and the airline can be very inconsistent in interpreting their own rules.

    Sorry that doesn't shed any light on background checks. I have a Texas CHL so gun purchases have been no problem.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    My name flew right through the instant check. Some people, however, have names that are the same as - or are similar to - names on various government watch lists. Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresseses and SS number. After a few days (3, IIRC), the dealer can legally release it to you if there's been no reply.
    In my opinion Ted Kennedy should be on the no Oxygen list, But I understand what ya'll are saying about similar names, maybe a digit or 2 diff. on S.S.N. but it's still aggravating as all get out

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    It's gone both ways for me, even was initially denied CDWL in Kentucky. I always use my SS#now (hate to do it) and don't get flagged any more.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    I guess I could have my honey do all the paperwork, and just bring me my firearm gift. She did all the paperwork on a youth model Shotgun for my son once and carried the 20 ga. right out of the store.. But the downside of that option is (Now whats this one for? How many more do you think you need?) last time that question came up I started talking about her shoes,dinnerware in the cupboards,silverware, and jewelry.. Now she understands that each gun can have multiple or a single application..:celebrate

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas, USA
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Carnivore wrote:
    .. Now she understands that each gun can have multiple or a single application..
    Oooh... that could be a costly tactical error. But I suppose that money's going to be spent anyway. Better to keep the peace.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Just got my call, from the gun store, 28 hrs. later.. although thiswas a shotgun purchase which may or may not have a place on this site, anyway Doves better beware come monday !!

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    Carnivore wrote:
    Just got my call, from the gun store, 28 hrs. later.. although thiswas a shotgun purchase which may or may not have a place on this site, anyway Doves better beware come monday !!
    Well, this is an open carry discussion board, and it IS mighty hard to CC a shotgun

    But why would you shoot at bars of soap?

    <j/k> Congrats on the new gun.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    Carnivore wrote:
    Just got my call, from the gun store, 28 hrs. later.. although thiswas a shotgun purchase which may or may not have a place on this site, anyway Doves better beware come monday !!
    Well, this is an open carry discussion board, and it IS mighty hard to CC a shotgun

    But why would you shoot at bars of soap?

    <j/k> Congrats on the new gun.
    XD, have ever shot at a bar of soap? Man, it comes apart nice!!! Plus it leaves the range smelling fresh and clean for weeks to follow!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

  14. #14
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Carnivore wrote:
    I've never been Charged or Convicted of even a Mister meener, only thing against me other than can't grow hair on my head is a couple of speeding tickets of which the most recent is atleast 10 yrs old.. I know this is a necessary process in todays society, But Jeeze,, every stinking time DELAYED !!
    Although I am against the use of an SSN for any purpose than Social Insecurity related transactions, I was told that it's best to include it on the form, since it will eliminate the delay of what you are encountering.

    Therefore, make sure to include your Federal & State Citizen Tracking Identifier (aka SSN) on all gun federally mandated background checks. The number will probably be used again when Obama confiscates them later. :celebrate

  15. #15
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Carnivore wrote:
    Just got my call, from the gun store, 28 hrs. later.. although thiswas a shotgun purchase which may or may not have a place on this site, anyway Doves better beware come monday !!
    Did you find out if you were a criminal?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    The last 4 or 5 purchases I have included my S.S.N., but yes I did get the gun, so I'm thinking I'm not the criminal their looking for.:celebrateDoves ?? I havn't had dove soap since Mom washed my mouth out for saying the word Sh!!!t, these dove breast will be wrapped with a strip on bacon and grilled. YUM!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •