• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What really takes place with Background checks ??

Carnivore

imported post

Hello Guys and Gals. New here but give me some time and I'll find my way around. I've got a have to know Question, I've been delayed on firearms purchases since my very firstnew purchase ever, be it Handgun,Hipower Rifle, or Shotgun.Is this something that lots of folks experience, or is it just my black cloud??

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thankfully in Utah we are still free to buy and sell privately! But my brother has never had a problem, so it may be something related to you or someone with a similar name...

Carnivore

imported post

I've never been Charged or Convicted of even a Mister meener,:lol: only thing against me other than can't grow hair on my head is a couple of speeding tickets of which the most recent is atleast 10 yrs old.. I know this is a necessary process in todays society, But Jeeze,, every stinking time DELAYED !!:cuss:

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My name flew right through the instant check. Some people, however, have names that are the same as - or are similar to - names on various government watch lists. Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresseses and SS number. After a few days (3, IIRC), the dealer can legally release it to you if there's been no reply.

LEO 229

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
My name flew right through the instant check. Some people, however, have names that are the same as - or are similar to - names on various government watch lists. Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresseses and SS number. After a few days (3, IIRC), the dealer can legally release it to you if there's been no reply.
I just bought a new handgun just the other day and he no more than hit enter and I was approved.

My wife... on the other hand is flagged and it takes a minimum or 1 hour to clear her for EVERY purchase.She has a CC permit too!!

So I am not sure what it is checking.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Remember awhile back when even Ted Kennedy had trouble because his name was the same as someone on the "No-fly" list? If your name registers a hit, they look at other data, like addresses and SS number.
There is someone on that list with the same name as mine. If I forget to call the airline and make them aware of my itinerary, I get extra attention at the airport every time I fly. Since I oftendeclare a firearm in my checked bag this can be loads of fun. The TSA and the airline can be very inconsistent in interpreting their own rules.

Sorry that doesn't shed any light on background checks. I have a Texas CHL so gun purchases have been no problem.

Carnivore

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
In my opinion Ted Kennedy should be on the no Oxygen list, But I understand what ya'll are saying about similar names, maybe a digit or 2 diff. on S.S.N. but it's still aggravating as all get out :banghead:

Carnivore

imported post

I guess I could have my honey do all the paperwork, and just bring me my firearm gift. She did all the paperwork on a youth model Shotgun for my son once and carried the 20 ga. right out of the store.. But the downside of that option is (Now whats this one for? How many more do you think you need?) last time that question came up I started talking about her shoes,dinnerware in the cupboards,silverware, and jewelry.. Now she understands that each gun can have multiple or a single application..:celebrate

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
.. Now she understands that each gun can have multiple or a single application..
Oooh... that could be a costly tactical error. But I suppose that money's going to be spent anyway. Better to keep the peace.

Carnivore

imported post

Just got my call, from the gun store, 28 hrs. later.. although thiswas a shotgun purchase which may or may not have a place on this site, anyway Doves better beware come monday !!;)

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Just got my call, from the gun store, 28 hrs. later.. although thiswas a shotgun purchase which may or may not have a place on this site, anyway Doves better beware come monday !!;)

Well, this is an open carry discussion board, and it IS mighty hard to CC a shotgun ;)

But why would you shoot at bars of soap?

<j/k> Congrats on the new gun.

Evil Ernie

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Carnivore wrote:

Well, this is an open carry discussion board, and it IS mighty hard to CC a shotgun ;)

But why would you shoot at bars of soap?

<j/k> Congrats on the new gun.
XD, have ever shot at a bar of soap? Man, it comes apart nice!!! Plus it leaves the range smelling fresh and clean for weeks to follow!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Statesman

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
I've never been Charged or Convicted of even a Mister meener,:lol: only thing against me other than can't grow hair on my head is a couple of speeding tickets of which the most recent is atleast 10 yrs old.. I know this is a necessary process in todays society, But Jeeze,, every stinking time DELAYED !!:cuss:
Although I am against the use of an SSN for any purpose than Social Insecurity related transactions, I was told that it's best to include it on the form, since it will eliminate the delay of what you are encountering.

Therefore, make sure to include your Federal & State Citizen Tracking Identifier (aka SSN) on all gun federally mandated background checks. The number will probably be used again when Obama confiscates them later. :celebrate

Statesman

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Did you find out if you were a criminal? :banghead:

Carnivore

imported post

The last 4 or 5 purchases I have included my S.S.N.:banghead:, but yes I did get the gun, so I'm thinking I'm not the criminal their looking for.:celebrateDoves ?? I havn't had dove soap since Mom washed my mouth out for saying the word Sh!!!t, these dove breast will be wrapped with a strip on bacon and grilled. YUM!!