Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama already mentioned gun control

Post imported post

I didn't see his whole speech but he's not even the president yet and mentioned gun control in hi acceptence speech.What happened to supporting the 2 ammendment as he said after the supreme court ruling????????? We aqre going to lose our rights if he gets elected!!!...scares the crap oput of me.

Post imported post

I watched his whole speech, and it disgusted me. Especially the obvious nod to gun-control. Basically, his position is that the 2nd amendment protects hunters and sportsman, but that someone who lives in the inner-city has no right to possess an AK-47 for home defense.

Too bad I didn't even start carrying a gun until I lived in the city (granted, that city was London, and I couldn't carry until I came back home). Gun control works least of all in the inner city, and short-sighted prohibitionists like Obama have a lot of blood on their hands.

Post imported post

Yep.I was reading somewhere ,that i IL. you can be prosecuted for defending your life and home with a gun.It is the victims resposibility to run away or hide.It is complete insanity in its highest form.I couldn,t stomach watching that whole touchy feely speech.Maybe I missed the part where he plans to surrender the US to the UN...

Post imported post

Ok, I am not trying to make anyone mad here, especially anyone that posted in this topic. But, it seems that all the topics about the candidates policies are being locked and they usually just get reduced to yelling back and forth after a few posts.

I think we can all agree that McCain likes guns more than Obama (not much of a surprise) and we should probably just leave it at that.

Post imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
    Sadly we need to pick the lesser of two evils. McCain wants gun control too...just not as bad as Obama. Sigh what happened to Huckabee.
    Sigh about Ron Paul......Paul/Palin would have been the best ticket this country has seen in quite some time.....too bad it was not to be.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Metal_Monkey wrote:
    Sadly we need to pick the lesser of two evils. McCain wants gun control too...just not as bad as Obama. Sigh what happened to Huckabee.
    Sigh about Ron Paul......Paul/Palin would have been the best ticket this country has seen in quite some time.....too bad it was not to be.
    I know, seriously.

I'm stuck throwing away my vote on Barr. And I don't even really like the guy.

Post imported post

I,m casting my vote for Pat Paulson................I bet Bear will remember that guy!

Post imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
    I,m casting my vote for Pat Paulson................I bet Bear will remember that guy!
    Oh yes, a much better choice than either of the losers we have to vote for this year.

Post imported post

Kind of dates us doesn,t it Bear? Wonder if any of the younger guys here even know who he is.....

Post imported post

Third party all the way, its not like our vote counts in this state anyway.

Post imported post

Thats all well and good that you vote for a third party that will not stand a chance.Just to make a statement.The only one on the planet that has a remote chance of defeating Obama is McCain.So those votes you throw away are fewer votes that MaCain will have to defeat Obama .My mission in Life at this point is to do what I can to give the candidate that has a chance My vote weather I like him or not.Everyone has this I hate mcCain thing going on and I can,t figure out why.At least he will keep a strong military , will keep health care privatized ( It is not my obligation to pay for health care for some one not working that can,t afford it,Especially immigrants)won,t repeal our tax cuts which Obama already said he will do ,he is pro big business which keep millions employed ,won,t trample our 2a rights like Obama plans to do.I believe it will be one of the first things he goes after if elected.I absolutley do not like either's soft stand on illegals which need to be gotten rid of.Put a bounty on them that will clear them out in a hurry.America should be like an exclusive country club I f you weren,t born American OH WELL ! not my fault.They should have to buy their way in and earn the right to be there as not to be a burden on AMERICANS .Anyway our issue on these threads is 2A ,that is common amoungst all here.We should all suck it up and vote for the one that has a chance to beat Obama or we will loose our right to bear arms.

Post imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
    Kind of dates us doesn,t it Bear? Wonder if any of the younger guys here even know who he is.....
    I'm sure many of us know who he is. He continued his quadrennial run for president into the '90s. I have a book somewhere about his '68/'72 runs.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Oh god, this thread has already degenerated into a bunch of "lesser-of-two-evils" nonsense. :quirky

What's with you Washingtonians anyway? Haven't you any guts? :P

Actually, when I think of how sad it is that you've been terrorized into voting for an anti-2nd amendment clown (I know! Let's vote against our rights so that we can preserve them!) I think the more appropriate smiley is:

Post imported post

Since I'll be judged for MY actions, not those of everyone else, and since we still can't vote AGAINST people, only for them, and because my principles haven't changed since yesterday, I still won't be voting for McCain (or Obama).

The situation and the outcome are irrelevant to the ethics. The ends do not justify the means. What good is keeping my guns a little longer if I have to sell my soul? A smaller step in the wrong direction is still... oh I give up.

Post imported post

Due to the fact that we still run on the electoral college and not on a popular vote system (thank God) a vote for a third party is the same as a vote for McCain in Washington. I take more into account than just the 2a when I decide who to vote for and I don't want to have to settle for the "lesser of two evils" when I could just as easily vote my conscience and feel like I wasn't just violated at the polls. I don't like voting for someone who I feel has stabbed me in the back like McCain did when his illegal immigrant amnesty bill went down in flames due to public opinion. Right after his "I have heard the American people" line what did he do? He introduced another bill to give social security to illegals, something that I won't have access to when I get old (not that I believe we should have social security anyway). It is just like President Bush said when he used the old Texan saying "Fool me once, shame on me; fool me, er... uh, you're not gonna fool me again" Take it or leave it, feel free to vote for whom ever you so choose, but as a Washingtonain where my conservative vote counts for about jack-allI will votebased onmybeliefs notbased ona party linewho has turned their back on their ideals.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    I watched his whole speech, and it disgusted me. Especially the obvious nod to gun-control. Basically, his position is that the 2nd amendment protects hunters and sportsman, but that someone who lives in the inner-city has no right to possess an AK-47 for home defense.
    Ask the people of New Orleans if they think they have no right to EBRs.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

about the illinois and self defense comment-

DEROS72-"Yep.I was reading somewhere ,that i IL. you can be prosecuted for defending your life and home with a gun.It is the victims resposibility to run away or hide.It is complete insanity in its highest form."

(720 ILCS 5/7 2) (from Ch. 38, par. 7 2)
    Sec. 7 2. Use of force in defense of dwelling.
    (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a dwelling. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
    (1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent, riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or
    (2) He reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of a felony in the dwelling.
    (b) In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7 4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.
    (Source: P.A. 93 832, eff. 7 28 04.)

So in illinois, there is no duty to retreat in the home, however, you can be prosecuted for using a gun to defend your home, and worse, obama voted against a law which would have made a person immune to prosecution for using a firearm to defend his home, even though said bill was directly based on an actual case.

In 2004, Obama Voted Against Legislation "Drafted To Protect Homeowners From Prosecution In Cases Where They Used A Firearm To Halt A Home Invasion." "[O]bama cast a total of 4 votes in opposition to SB2165. SB2165 was drafted to protect homeowners from prosecution in cases where they used a firearm to halt a home invasion. Once again, Obama found himself on the wrong side of the issue as overwhelming majorities of both the House and the Senate voted in favor of this important legislation. Obama's steadfast opposition to SB2165 is indicative of his misplaced priorities on issues of self-defense and personal firearm ownership." (Illinois State Rifle Association, "ISRA Blasts Candidate Obama On His Record Of Hostility Toward Law-Abiding Firearm Owners," Press Release, 8/24/04)

· The Bill Was In Response To Homeowner Who Shot Burglar Who Had Broken Into His Home - Twice. "The state handgun bill Obama voted against was a response to the case of a suburban Chicago restaurant owner who shot a burglar who had broken into his home twice."(Mike Robinson, "Keyes Rips Obama Over Opposition To Gun Bill," The Associated Press State & Local Wire, 8/24/04)

another horrible fact-On 1996 Questionnaire, Obama Answered "Yes" To Question About His Support For Legislation To "Ban The Manufacture, Sale And Possession Of Handguns." Question: "Do you support state legislation to ... ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? [Obama's Response:] Yes."(Independent Voters Of Illinois Independent Precinct Organization 1996 General Candidate Questionnaire, Barack Obama Responses, 9/10/96)

sorry if this is too much information, i'm new to the forum and trying stick to forum rules about citing sources for rule of law and such. does seem like this thread belongs somewhere besides the washington board though.

p.s. my two cents on lesser of two evils (i'm voting libertarian just like i always did) What makes you think McCain is less evil than Obama? their both pretty similar in many ways, both have many positions which i can't stand. why would anyone vote for someone who they don't support?

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Well aware that with the Electoral College system there have been a couple rare case where the person with the total popular vote didn't win the election.

Not aware of ANY case where on a State level the person with the popular vote didn't get that state's electoral votes.

I try not to be a single issue voter. Yes, there could have better candidates from the republican party in regards to my views, but it was narrowed down to McCain. I am undecided on his strategy in picking Palin, but it is definitely outside the box.

Bottom line is either Obama or McCain are GOING to be the next president, anyone who votes "other" is wasting their vote. You may consider it "Lesser of two evils", butthat is still a step above "Worse of two evils".

I can understand the whole "principle" argument, hell I voted Ross Perot back in the day. I realized later it amounts to cutting off your nose to spite your face. TheObama camp would lovefor peoplewho don't like his ideas for change to vote Paul, Barr, Paulsen, Fudd, or Bugs Bunny.Divide and conquer as the say, makes it a lot easier for a candidate to win with a minority of the vote.

And don't count Washington out yet. With the Govenors race this year I think there is going to be a upswell in the number of voters picking Republican candidates. Just might be able to shout down the Pierce-King-Sno country liberal power base. Having Dino in the Govenor's Mansion would be a great "F-U!" to the Emerald Empire.

Edited for spelling

Post imported post

911Boss wrote:
    "Lessor of two evils"
    How much does that earn?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lessor

Post imported post

double tap

Post imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
    Third party all the way, its not like our vote counts in this state anyway.
    your vote counts in WA........and counts....and counts.....until the F%^&*g Dems get a number they like...it must take longer for the votes from the prisons and graveyards to get delivered.

hehe....Re-elect Dino

Post imported post

McCain is only stating he wants gun controll because their is a public cry for it, He won't do it just like Bush (2nd) stated for gun controll but look what he did he gave us back everything Clinton did!

Post imported post

erich_kopp wrote:
    McCain is only stating he wants gun controll because their is a public cry for it, He won't do it just like Bush (2nd) stated for gun controll but look what he did he gave us back everything Clinton did!
    There is no public cry for gun control, so McCain is lying thru his teeth. The public knows that,

"Gun Control is the only kind of policy that we have where the proponents of it will point to its utter failure as evidence that we need even more of it."

Post imported post

Very good point Bear!

Post imported post

911Boss wrote:
    Bottom line is either Obama or McCain are GOING to be the next president, anyone who votes "other" is wasting their vote. You may consider it "Lesser of two evils", butthat is still a step above "Worse of two evils".
    A third party vote is NOT a waste! The only wasted vote is the one cast against your conscience. Both of the mainstream choices are really no choice at all (would you rather die by poisoning or firing squad?) so I might as well vote for the best man, not the one I think has the best chance.

Until the people of this country stop bitching about the two party system and start voting outside of it, we'll always get what we've always got. A third party getting a large number of votes does two things: 1) It tells the people in Washington that people are fed up with the two major parties and that continuing to ignore us could cost them their seats, and 2) Third parties that get enough votes automatically get federal funds in the next election cycle and are virtually guaranteed to make it on the ballot in all 50 states without jumping through fiery hoops.

Not only is a 3rd party vote not a "throw away" like so many seem to think, but it's likely the most valuable vote because it's the only one that is against the status quo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast