• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama already mentioned gun control

joshcdc

imported post

about the illinois and self defense comment-

DEROS72-"Yep.I was reading somewhere ,that i IL. you can be prosecuted for defending your life and home with a gun.It is the victims resposibility to run away or hide.It is complete insanity in its highest form."

(720 ILCS 5/7 2) (from Ch. 38, par. 7 2)
Sec. 7 2. Use of force in defense of dwelling.
(a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a dwelling. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent, riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or
(2) He reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of a felony in the dwelling.
(b) In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7 4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.
(Source: P.A. 93 832, eff. 7 28 04.)

So in illinois, there is no duty to retreat in the home, however, you can be prosecuted for using a gun to defend your home, and worse, obama voted against a law which would have made a person immune to prosecution for using a firearm to defend his home, even though said bill was directly based on an actual case.

In 2004, Obama Voted Against Legislation "Drafted To Protect Homeowners From Prosecution In Cases Where They Used A Firearm To Halt A Home Invasion." "[O]bama cast a total of 4 votes in opposition to SB2165. SB2165 was drafted to protect homeowners from prosecution in cases where they used a firearm to halt a home invasion. Once again, Obama found himself on the wrong side of the issue as overwhelming majorities of both the House and the Senate voted in favor of this important legislation. Obama's steadfast opposition to SB2165 is indicative of his misplaced priorities on issues of self-defense and personal firearm ownership." (Illinois State Rifle Association, "ISRA Blasts Candidate Obama On His Record Of Hostility Toward Law-Abiding Firearm Owners," Press Release, 8/24/04)

· The Bill Was In Response To Homeowner Who Shot Burglar Who Had Broken Into His Home - Twice. "The state handgun bill Obama voted against was a response to the case of a suburban Chicago restaurant owner who shot a burglar who had broken into his home twice." (Mike Robinson, "Keyes Rips Obama Over Opposition To Gun Bill," The Associated Press State & Local Wire, 8/24/04)

another horrible fact-On 1996 Questionnaire, Obama Answered "Yes" To Question About His Support For Legislation To "Ban The Manufacture, Sale And Possession Of Handguns." Question: "Do you support state legislation to ... ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? [Obama's Response:] Yes." (Independent Voters Of Illinois Independent Precinct Organization 1996 General Candidate Questionnaire, Barack Obama Responses, 9/10/96)

sorry if this is too much information, i'm new to the forum and trying stick to forum rules about citing sources for rule of law and such. does seem like this thread belongs somewhere besides the washington board though.

p.s. my two cents on lesser of two evils (i'm voting libertarian just like i always did) What makes you think McCain is less evil than Obama? their both pretty similar in many ways, both have many positions which i can't stand. why would anyone vote for someone who they don't support?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Well aware that with the Electoral College system there have been a couple rare case where the person with the total popular vote didn't win the election.

Not aware of ANY case where on a State level the person with the popular vote didn't get that state's electoral votes.

I try not to be a single issue voter. Yes, there could have better candidates from the republican party in regards to my views, but it was narrowed down to McCain. I am undecided on his strategy in picking Palin, but it is definitely outside the box.

Bottom line is either Obama or McCain are GOING to be the next president, anyone who votes "other" is wasting their vote. You may consider it "Lesser of two evils", butthat is still a step above "Worse of two evils".

I can understand the whole "principle" argument, hell I voted Ross Perot back in the day. I realized later it amounts to cutting off your nose to spite your face. TheObama camp would lovefor peoplewho don't like his ideas for change to vote Paul, Barr, Paulsen, Fudd, or Bugs Bunny.Divide and conquer as the say, makes it a lot easier for a candidate to win with a minority of the vote.

And don't count Washington out yet. With the Govenors race this year I think there is going to be a upswell in the number of voters picking Republican candidates. Just might be able to shout down the Pierce-King-Sno country liberal power base. Having Dino in the Govenor's Mansion would be a great "F-U!" to the Emerald Empire.

Edited for spelling

Sean

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Third party all the way, its not like our vote counts in this state anyway.

your vote counts in WA........and counts....and counts.....until the F%^&*g Dems get a number they like...it must take longer for the votes from the prisons and graveyards to get delivered.

hehe....Re-elect Dino

erich_kopp

imported post

McCain is only stating he wants gun controll because their is a public cry for it, He won't do it just like Bush (2nd) stated for gun controll but look what he did he gave us back everything Clinton did!

Bear 45/70

imported post

erich_kopp wrote:
McCain is only stating he wants gun controll because their is a public cry for it, He won't do it just like Bush (2nd) stated for gun controll but look what he did he gave us back everything Clinton did!

There is no public cry for gun control, so McCain is lying thru his teeth. The public knows that,

"Gun Control is the only kind of policy that we have where the proponents of it will point to its utter failure as evidence that we need even more of it."

Cue-Ball

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Bottom line is either Obama or McCain are GOING to be the next president, anyone who votes "other" is wasting their vote. You may consider it "Lesser of two evils", butthat is still a step above "Worse of two evils".
A third party vote is NOT a waste! The only wasted vote is the one cast against your conscience. Both of the mainstream choices are really no choice at all (would you rather die by poisoning or firing squad?) so I might as well vote for the best man, not the one I think has the best chance.

Until the people of this country stop bitching about the two party system and start voting outside of it, we'll always get what we've always got. A third party getting a large number of votes does two things: 1) It tells the people in Washington that people are fed up with the two major parties and that continuing to ignore us could cost them their seats, and 2) Third parties that get enough votes automatically get federal funds in the next election cycle and are virtually guaranteed to make it on the ballot in all 50 states without jumping through fiery hoops.

Not only is a 3rd party vote not a "throw away" like so many seem to think, but it's likely the most valuable vote because it's the only one that is against the status quo.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
911Boss wrote:
A third party vote is NOT a waste! The only wasted vote is the one cast against your . Both of the mainstream choices are really no choice at all (would you rather die by poisoning or firing squad?) so I might as well vote for the best man, not the one I think has the best chance.

Until the people of this country stop bitching about the two party system and start voting outside of it, we'll always get what we've always got. A third party getting a large number of votes does two things: 1) It tells the people in Washington that people are fed up with the two major parties and that continuing to ignore us could cost them their seats, and 2) Third parties that get enough votes automatically get federal funds in the next election cycle and are virtually guaranteed to make it on the ballot in all 50 states without jumping through fiery hoops.

Not only is a 3rd party vote not a "throw away" like so many seem to think, but it's likely the most valuable vote because it's the only one that is against the status quo.
Well, if obama gets in because of your conscience vote, then you will be part of what created the problem then, won't you? Idealism just doesn't work with politics, regardless of how much you may want it too.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

Gun control is stupid! The only people that gun control benifits are crimanals. The last thing crimanals what is an armed public, now think about that for a minute. Who are the poeple who make these gun control laws, why would they want to disarm us? Are they all crimanals too? I don't know alot about anything but I have the right to bear arms to protect me and my freedom maybe more people should think about stuff like that. Kids are dieing not because of guns but because are not be edjucated about guns and gun safety. Woman are being raped every day(yeah and we are the monsters for carrieing a gun to defend ourselfs and family and maybe even them), and people are dieing everyday only because crimanals are more protected in your home or were ever you are than you are. People are being sued in cival court because they shot a helpless man chargeing at them with a knife, thats got to :cuss:stop like right now.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

It's not like we are being unreasonable, if you are not charged with a crime you should not be able to be sued in civil court for defending yourself. I think Florida has a law like that.:banghead:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Several states have Castle Doctrine laws protecting citizens who use force to defend themselves. In MO, if lethal force is used and deemed to be a proper use of force either by failure to charge or prosecute or by being declared not guilty in court, the BG and his family are barred from civil suit against the citizen for damage or death from such use of force.

BlaineG

imported post

Suck it up and vote for McCain.....any vote that splits the R party is a vote for Obama and that is the most dangerous possible thing that could happen to America, even if you discount the loss of the 2A........

G

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
Suck it up and vote for McCain.....any vote that splits the R party is a vote for Obama and that is the most dangerous possible thing that could happen to America, even if you discount the loss of the 2A........

Yes, after seeing a portion with Palin tonight on ABC's Charles Gibson you are going to need all the help you canget.McCain should have picked a better canidate. Palin is not what I would say very intellgent at best and seemed lost in her logic. She didn't even know what the Bush Doctrine was all about. I tell you what, she will be eaten alive in the debates with Biden and if McCain doesn't have a senior moment during the debates count yourselves fortunate! Yes, hide your guns and live in fear...

Me - Well life goes on and I am currently in the market for .40 looking at Sigs and HKs. Oh, and I don't live in fear!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dukester wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Yes, after seeing a portion with Palin tonight on ABC's Charles Gibson you are going to need all the help you canget.McCain should have picked a better canidate. Palin is not what I would say very intellgent at best and seemed lost in her logic. She didn't even know what the Bush Doctrine was all about. I tell you what, she will be eaten alive in the debates with Biden and if McCain doesn't have a senior moment during the debates count yourselves fortunate! Yes, hide your guns and live in fear...

Me - Well life goes on and I am currently in the market for .40 looking at Sigs and HKs. Oh, and I don't live in fear!
The Duckster and his leftist ranting strikes again. You would hate God if he ran against your false god, obama. As to the fear issue, you should be very afraid with the type of mind you have, because when they start cleaning out the gene pool, your shallow end will be first.

G

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Dukester wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

The Duckster and his leftist ranting strikes again. You would hate God if he ran against your false god, obama. As to the fear issue, you should be very afraid with the type of mind you have, because when they start cleaning out the gene pool, your shallow end will be first.
Hey 45/70 thanks for checking in. I do have to admit that I missed your radical views that are way out there on the fringe...

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dukester wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Dukester wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Hey 45/70 thanks for checking in. I do have to admit that I missed your radical views that are way out there on the fringe...
Now there's a joke if I ever heard one. My views radical! On a gun board no less. You would be funny if you weren't so pathetic. It is so sad that you can't see the truth when it keeps smacking along side the head.