Thread: An LEO saw me Open-Carry yesterday...

Post imported post

.... and up to the pick-up truck he had pulled-over.

I had went intoa gas-station for some smokes, and as I was walking out, I saw a Springs PD car with lights on parked almost behind my VW. He was just getting out as I went to my car, and I slowed a bit to see if he was there for me. The LEO exited his car, made eye-contact & obvious notice of me and my sidearm.

But instead of approaching, he instead gave me a little head-nod & smile, walked over to the pick-up which had parked next to the VW and startedquestioning the truck's driver. My wife was with me, and she had gotten a little nervous. I told her not to worry, Colorado Springs PD & Sheriff is pretty cool with OC, and they're generally more laid-back than any other LEOs I've encountered elsewhere.

Post imported post

The way it should be....

Post imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
    The way it should be....
    But isn't always, unfortunately...

So far, I think COS is going to be my new home for quite a while. I like living in a (mostly) pro-2nd Amendment town/state.

Post imported post

Big +1 to the LEO and to you. I wouldn't have even slowed down though. I always assume that the LEO is going to do the right thing and I treat them like I would anyone else. Polite smile or head nod, maybe a polite greeting if appropriate. Haven't had any issues so far.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Ipretty much knewhe had spotted me before he got out of his squad car, so making a bee-line to myVWdidn't seem prudent. While I normally try to avoid any contact with LEOs, carrying or no, I didn't want to provide even the smallest of reasons to pique his curiosity.

Post imported post

LEO + 1

Post imported post

I'm sure plenty of LEOs here in the Springs have spotted my sidearm since I started OC'ing, and I can attest to this town as being very OC friendly. So far I've had far more people ask me what type of handgun I was carrying, than any other comment.