• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An LEO saw me Open-Carry yesterday...

AnaxImperator

imported post

.... and up to the pick-up truck he had pulled-over.

I had went intoa gas-station for some smokes, and as I was walking out, I saw a Springs PD car with lights on parked almost behind my VW. He was just getting out as I went to my car, and I slowed a bit to see if he was there for me. The LEO exited his car, made eye-contact & obvious notice of me and my sidearm.

But instead of approaching, he instead gave me a little head-nod & smile, walked over to the pick-up which had parked next to the VW and startedquestioning the truck's driver. My wife was with me, and she had gotten a little nervous. I told her not to worry, Colorado Springs PD & Sheriff is pretty cool with OC, and they're generally more laid-back than any other LEOs I've encountered elsewhere.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Big +1 to the LEO and to you. I wouldn't have even slowed down though. I always assume that the LEO is going to do the right thing and I treat them like I would anyone else. Polite smile or head nod, maybe a polite greeting if appropriate. Haven't had any issues so far.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Ipretty much knewhe had spotted me before he got out of his squad car, so making a bee-line to myVWdidn't seem prudent. While I normally try to avoid any contact with LEOs, carrying or no, I didn't want to provide even the smallest of reasons to pique his curiosity.

AnaxImperator

imported post

I'm sure plenty of LEOs here in the Springs have spotted my sidearm since I started OC'ing, and I can attest to this town as being very OC friendly. So far I've had far more people ask me what type of handgun I was carrying, than any other comment.