• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff’s deputies cleared in shooting death of area man

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Smart ass, ok, what does it mean....?

Off topic, but...

Per Wiki: Who watches the watchmen
Sed Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"](Who shall keep watch over the guardians? Wer aber bewacht jene Wachen?)
[/font]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]The quote above is from a satire by Juvenal (Decimus Junius Juvenalis [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]55-127 AD[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]).
He served as a tribune far from home, but failed to gain advancement and grew embittered.
[/font]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] I always hear the advice of my old friends -"Put on a lock and keep your wife indoors."
[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Yes, but who shall keep watch over these guardians?
[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]The wife arranges accordingly and begins with them.
[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]High or low their passions are all the same.[/font]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The story was not drafted to back the police. They posted factual information so that the reader could better understand why the man did what he did.

They did not justify anything the police did and simply posted what happened.

A drunk man armed with a gun refused to drop it and the police tried to use less lethal force to prevent him from using that gun to harm anyone.

The taser failed twice and the man allegedly pointed the gun at the police.

If you are going to point a gun at the police.... you can expect to be shot.

There is no "murder" here. You should be ashamed for even posting that. You obviously have a problem with the government, the police, or any level of authority.

Knowing the guy refused commands and they tried to use less lethal to get the gun away.... sounds right in my book. You may not like it.. but when the police are telling you to drop your gun and you refuse..... you might just get shot.

Not sure why anyone would want to test the waters in this area. It is just plain dumb.
I get the message - it is easy to understand. Apply the 10% rule and don't sweat it.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

joeamt wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Smart ass, ok, what does it mean....?

Off topic, but...

Per Wiki: Who watches the watchmen
Sed Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"](Who shall keep watch over the guardians? Wer aber bewacht jene Wachen?)
[/font]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]The quote above is from a satire by Juvenal (Decimus Junius Juvenalis [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]55-127 AD[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]).
He served as a tribune far from home, but failed to gain advancement and grew embittered.
[/font]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] I always hear the advice of my old friends -"Put on a lock and keep your wife indoors."
[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]Yes, but who shall keep watch over these guardians?
[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]The wife arranges accordingly and begins with them.
[/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]High or low their passions are all the same.[/font]

“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”

TexasNative

imported post

To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure why LEO229 posted this originally. It was only after he explained it that I understood (I think that might be a "training point" for you there, LEO).

But once he explained it, the situation became crystal clear: Refuse to disarm at the request of an LEO, and while you may very well be in the right, you may very well be dead, too.

I hate it when pragmatism is in conflict with my principles, but the bottom line is that I can't fight for my principles if I'm dead, so if I'm gonna die, it's gotta be for a purpose. Being alive to decry an officer's illegal acts seems much more useful than being dead with no voice.

doug23838

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You should be ashamed for even posting that. You obviously have a problem with the government, the police, or any level of authority.

Knowing the guy refused commands and they tried to use less lethal to get the gun away.... sounds right in my book. You may not like it.. but when the police are telling you to drop your gun and you refuse..... you might just get shot.

Not sure why anyone would want to test the waters in this area. It is just plain dumb.

Notice how quicky you cast the same aspersions onto me. "You obviously have a problem...."

You've cast me as being, not like everyone else. I'm different. I "have a problem" Therefore shooting someone with a "problem" is more justified than shooting a regular guy....someone... like you... who has no problems.

Now, I don't believe anyone (uniformed or not) needs to wait to be fired upon, before firing themselves. My "problem" is, that officers simply say " He refused to obey and I shot and killed him." And that's the end of the story. Lethal force has been used too many unwarranted times, with the big free get-off-the-hook phrase "He refused to obey...."

Was "de-escalate" removed from police officer training? Do they now train to go from "let me see your hands." to BANG. Oh, that's right, they tried a Taser and since it was ineffective, they can kill him now.

I have a "problem" with the finding that these 4 deputies did "nothing wrong."

matt605

imported post

Remember the facts:

• The homeowner didn't invite the deputies onto his property.
  • The homeowner had no reason to disarm.
  • The homeowner fired no shots.
  • The homeowner never pointed the gun at anyone.
  • The homeowner died of gunshot wounds that entered his back.
  • The investigation concludedthat the deputies acted lawfully.
  • <== bullets
:dude:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

matt605 wrote:
Remember the facts: Some assumptions mixed in also.
  • The homeowner didn't invite the deputies onto his property. And? Somebody placed a call that warranted being checked out.

• The homeowner had no reason to disarm. Yes he did. He was lawfully ordered to do so.

• The homeowner fired no shots. You don't have to actually pull the trigger to be considered a deadly threat.

• The homeowner never pointed the gun at anyone. Would you wait until the weapon was center of mass on you before responding?

• The homeowner died of gunshot wounds that entered his back. Time and time again it has been demonstrated that a person can turn in the fraction of a second before the trigger is squeezed - even multiply shots.

• The investigation concludedthat the deputies acted lawfully. And until proven otherwise (court of law) this will stand.

• <== bullets Childish and inflammatory.
Now lets clear the air a bit. I am not a LEO, a wannabe nor a camp follower.
I have little or no patience for those that read newspaper articles and refer to other media events, then proceed to try or retry a case. Come on boys and girls, this is the same media that you castinate when they do such a poor job of reporting the facts on everything else.

I will repeat for the benefit of those that didn't get it the first time - I was not there and neither were you. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not.

In any event, the OP stated that his purpose was to show the danger of not obeying instructions by LE to disarm. Is there anybody that disagrees with that simple premise? :banghead:

Stay on thread, if you can and mind your Ps & Qs.

Yata hey

SIGguy229

imported post

I live here and have been following this case. The deputies were called to the house by the man's son...who was advised to call the police by a neighbor (who was an off-duty LEO). To be clear...the police were called to deal with a drunk with a gun.

The family (i.e. the son) figured they would talk to his dad...but they couldn't do that until the guy dropped the gun. Instead, the guy raised his gun hand, causing the deputy to fear for his partner's life.

This was a good shoot.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I wouldn't agree that it was a good shoot. I guess it depends on your standards. It IS however a legal one, at least until a jury says different.

This was posted as an example of what could happen and it is a good example.

If anyone is to blame for that mans death, it's his son. I just don't understand the idiotic mentality that the police are babysitters. Parents calling the cops on their kids, kids calling the cops on their parents, husband and wife calling the cops on each other.

Stupid SOBS don't have any place on this earth!

LEO 229

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
I live here and have been following this case. The deputies were called to the house by the man's son...who was advised to call the police by a neighbor (who was an off-duty LEO). To be clear...the police were called to deal with a drunk with a gun.

The family (i.e. the son) figured they would talk to his dad...but they couldn't do that until the guy dropped the gun. Instead, the guy raised his gun hand, causing the deputy to fear for his partner's life.

This was a good shoot.
Thanks for clearing up some details that seem to often get twisted my the media.

The previous poster attempted to make the shooting look bad based on the fact that the police should not have been there. So it seems that family called and that gives the police every right to be there.

IMO... The police did not want to shoot the guy since they did use a taser first and on two occasions. The bad guy should NEVER get a chance to fire a shot at the police and they should have someone assigned to be ready to apply deadly force if it in necessary while other officers try less lethal means.

In this case... the man started to point his gun in the direction of the police and was shut down.

Sorry fellas but I just did a training practical where the suicidal man took the gun form his head and he started pointing it in my direction. I popped him 3 times in the chest before he had a chance to get harm me.

I did not wait to see if he was serious or try and talk him out of it. I knew in my mind that this is wherehe crossed the line and deadly force is necessary.

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I wouldn't agree that it was a good shoot. I guess it depends on your standards. It IS however a legal one, at least until a jury says different.

If anyone is to blame for that mans death, it's his son. I just don't understand the idiotic mentality that the police are babysitters. Parents calling the cops on their kids, kids calling the cops on their parents, husband and wife calling the cops on each other.

I think the other 229 was saying it was a "good shoot" in that it was proper and justified.

No shooting is really good for anyone. The officer has to live the rest of his life knowing he took a life. The family is without a father. The department is going to be questioned and crucified by the people and the media.

Yes.. families do call the police on each other and it is the police that often times play mediator. Theywork out the problem and not take sides. A family at odds with each other are too heated to listen and understand what is being said.

Just the other day I have a mom and child going at it. I leaned what the problems where and sat the two down where I identified the disconnect. They are good to go now and better understand each other.

Had I not been there... they would have beat on each other eventually.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I think the other 229 was saying it was a "good shoot" in that it was proper and justified.

No shooting is really good for anyone. The officer has to live the rest of his life knowing he took a life. The family is without a father. The department is going to be questioned and crucified by the people and the media.

Yes.. families do call the police on each other and it is the police that often times play mediator. Theywork out the problem and not take sides. A family at odds with each other are too heated to listen and understand what is being said.

Just the other day I have a mom and child going at it. I leaned what the problems where and sat the two down where I identified the disconnect. They are good to go now and better understand each other.

Had I not been there... they would have beat on each other eventually.

You'll never convince me of that 229.
The order of things is God, Family and way down the list is community.

God can take care of himself.
I'll take care of my family
and the community is all yours with my blessing.

If you need help with your family....you don't have one!

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:

Not wishing to go off topic on family..... but all families have problems... just like the one in the posted story.

In many interactions between people.... you may need someone to get involved that is not emotionally connected so they can remain calm and keep a clear head. You do not want the person who is supposed to help getting emotional and taking sides.

So Peter.. in your family it may work out... but others are not so fortunate. ;)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Not wishing to go off topic on family..... but all families have problems... just like the one in the posted story.

In many interactions between people.... you may need someone to get involved that is not emotionally connected so they can remain calm and keep a clear head. You do not want the person who is supposed to help getting emotional and taking sides.

So Peter.. in your family it may work out... but others are not so fortunate. ;)
My last word on it ..since it is getting OT

Raised two children and had all the usual problems. They gave me grey hair and I like to point that out

I never read Dr Spock, never struck either (although that was always an option if needed)

I never asked for help from anyone but my wife.

Both finished their education, have unbelievable careers, both married with their own families and raising them the same way they were raised.

My family came to Va in 1610 and have been raising their kids the same way since. Just because Hillary thinks it takes a Village, we don't:p

ODA 226

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Sorry fellas but I just did a training practical where the suicidal man took the gun form his head and he started pointing it in my direction. I popped him 3 times in the chest before he had a chance to get harm me.

I did not wait to see if he was serious or try and talk him out of it. I knew in my mind that this is wherehe crossed the line and deadly force is necessary.

When I was at the academy, we were shown a pic from an old manual entitled, "Officer Survival" where a man threatening suicide with a pistol has the weapon to his head and there are 6-8 officers SITTING in a circle around him within 6 feet of the subjectwith HOLSTERED weapons. I took one look at the pic and blurted out, "WTF is wrong with this picture?!"

The instructor went on to say that the suspect shot a few of the cops right after the pic was taken and the cops couldn't immediately return fire. Stupid is as stupid does...

matt605

imported post

Remember the facts: Some assumptions mixed in also. Verify against the record.

• The homeowner didn't invite the deputies onto his property. And? Somebody placed a call that warranted being checked out. The man's grown son invited deputies onto a homestead that was not his -- not a minor like in the Yearning for Zion case. Not a pool party of minors where the homeowners are out of town and alcohol containers are seen.

• The homeowner had no reason to disarm. Yes he did. He was lawfully ordered to do so. The man was on his own property, was not in violation of any laws, was faced with four individuals whom he did not invite there, and was not pointing his gun at anyone.

• The homeowner fired no shots. You don't have to actually pull the trigger to be considered a deadly threat. The homeowner didn't fire his gun, which is a misdemeanor in some suburban localities. The homeowner was on his patio in his own back yard.

• The homeowner never pointed the gun at anyone. Would you wait until the weapon was center of mass on you before responding? The homeowner never pointed the gun at anyone. Of course, a center mass shot on a deputy would only break his ribs through the kevlar vest, but the homeowner did not point his gun at anyone, including himself.

• The homeowner died of gunshot wounds that entered his back. Time and time again it has been demonstrated that a person can turn in the fraction of a second before the trigger is squeezed - even multiply shots. The deputies opened fire as the man was attempting to enter his house and after they fired tasers into him. All manner of possibilities exist as to how the bullets entered the homeowner's back, but the homeowner was retreating into his home from the confrontation with the uninvited deputies when the gunfire began.

• The investigation concludedthat the deputies acted lawfully. And until proven otherwise (court of law) this will stand. I agree that the locality will assert that the deputies acted lawfully, but I believe it will continue with this assertion even if it costs them $10 million in a wrongful death lawsuit.

• <== bullets Childish and inflammatory. Your opinion -- as valid as mine.

ChinChin

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I am truly amazed at the ignorance that some members show here.

Snip
"Gandy ignored commands to raise his hands and drop his weapon."

OK... How is this related to open carry.....??

Well, recently we have been talking about refusal to disarm. Many members here do open carry and with the combination of a few that have boasted they would refuse to be disarmed.. I wanted you to be aware of one person that allegedly decided to not be disarmed.

He was shot and killed for his refusal and the officers were cleared.

Snip

Iagree you are not the enemy. You are however adding to the general adversarial nature (although I strongly suspect you don't realize you are doing such.)

The previous thread you comment upon had these factors as pertains to refusal to disarm:

Individual was calm, sober, coherent.

Individual was not A C1 or S1 (Complainant 1 or Suspect 1)

Individual was asked to hand over weapon verbally; there was never a need for escalation of force to disarm the individual.

Individual’s weapon was holstered; had a lawful permit to conceal.

Now in this thread you put forward, you have these factors as refusal to disarm in which:

Individual was allegedly intoxicated

Individual was allegedly combative

Individual allegedly attempted to flee on foot.

Individual allegedly had firearm in hand (although this is disputed)

If you want to defend “officer safety” and refute comments towards one instance, you should give an example of LIKE INSTANCE. It’s akin to saying that John Advocate who follows all laws and was firm but polite to responding officers that he doesn’t want to disarm; should comply because a drunk and disorderly guy one time got shot for (allegedly) waving a firearm around and threatening to kill himself.

You are defending the request to disarm for “officer safety” using an example that has no relation to the previous example you referred to. However, if your assertion is pointed towards drunk backwater rummys who handle firearms while intoxicated, and further suggest they disarm by order of police while “sauced” to avoid a fatal situation, then I would agree with you.

There is a world of difference between A loud mouth suicidal drunk with a firearm and a calm and sober clean cut citizen who prefers to stand up for his rights.

matt605

imported post

Now in this thread you put forward, you have these factors as refusal to disarm in which:

Individual was allegedly intoxicated -- Homeowner was at home, not driving or in a public place -- intoxication violated no laws.

Individual was allegedly combative -- verbally combative, but not with anyone who could not leave -- spouse,adult son, neighbor, deputies, etc.

Individual allegedly attempted to flee on foot -- retreated from the confrontation with the deputies on his own patio into his own home. Somehowseveral bullets found their way into his back.

Individual allegedly had firearm in hand (although this is disputed)
-- it is lawful to hold a firearm in your hand on your own property.

If you want to defend “officer safety” and refute comments towards one instance, you should give an example of LIKE INSTANCE. It’s akin to saying that John Advocate who follows all laws and was firm but polite to responding officers that he doesn’t want to disarm; should comply because a drunk and disorderly guy one time got shot for (allegedly) waving a firearm around and threatening to kill himself. "drunk and disorderly" is illegal in public -- the man shot in the back was at home

You are defending the request to disarm for “officer safety” using an example that has no relation to the previous example you referred to. However, if your assertion is pointed towards drunk backwater rummys who handle firearms while intoxicated, and further suggest they disarm by order of police while “sauced” to avoid a fatal situation, then I would agree with you. The deputies can always retreat to safety when an intoxicated homeowner who is not breaking the law becomes frightening to them.
There is a world of difference between A loud mouth suicidal drunk with a firearm and a calm and sober clean cut citizen who prefers to stand up for his rights. A loud-mouthed, allegedly suicidal, highly intoxicated drunk who is brandishing a loaded handgun has more rightsbecause he is on his own property, he is not shooting the gun, he is not pointing the gun at anyone (including himself),he's holding no one hostage, and there are no minors in the house. The deputies (like every other adult there) had every right and reason to retreat from the homeowner's property to assure their own safety.

LEO 229

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
...stuff...

Chin.... the example was not intended to mirror the events we talked about elsewhere.

The example simply identified that someone with a gunrefused to be "diisarmed"... whomay or may not have pointed it at the police.

He was shot.

Had he dropped the gun I am confident he would have been taken into custody and given the help he needs to work through his problems or time to sober up.

I am not sure how the terms I use to explain my thoughts have anything to do with anything. I am not a computer where I will say or do things exactly as I may have done minutes, hours, days, or even weeks ago.

Chin.... this give me the apperance of some nitpicking at words. :p