• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in National Forest

Dragon88

imported post

First off, I'm new to OC and have learned a lot from reading this forum. I previously though it was illegal. Just yesterday I saw someone OC at Wal-Mart (Yadkin Rd Fayetteville), I figured that they had to be LE and I just couldn't see their badge. I'm a lot more informed now and I'd like to start open carrying myself.

I am going to Uwharrie tomorrow for some hiking. Is open carry of a pistol allowed or illegal in national forests, national parks, and/or wildlife preserves in NC? If allowed, are there restrictions, such as having a hunting license? I would have no intention of hunting, just carrying for personal protection.

Thanks.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Most national forest land in NC is also gameland so you are only allowed to carry a .22 lr pistol with a barrel under seven inches. Thank the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission for that useless regulation.

TFED12

imported post

This rule is for gameland when gun season is closed.

[align=left]Trespassing on Game Lands
Entry on game lands for[/align]

[align=left]purposes other than hunting, trapping and fishing is subject to[/align]
the control of the landowners

[align=left]It is unlawful to possess a rifle or pistol larger than .22 rimfire or[/align]

[align=left]a shotgun shell with larger than no. 4 shot during closed gun[/align]
seasons on big game

[align=left]
The following exceptions, however, should be noted:[/align]

[align=left]- Possession is allowed on field-trial and designated target shooting[/align]

areas and in camping areas for defense of person or property.

[align=left]
Deer, bear and wild boar may be taken with a handgun during the[/align]

[align=left]established gun hunting season provided that the handgun is not[/align]
less than .24-caliber.

So, If it is open gun season you can carry any pistol larger than .24. Just be sure to have a hunting license I guess.

All of Uwharie is designated as Gamelands.

The times and areas are very tricky. Be careful.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

[align=left]From the 2008-2009 North Carolina Hunting and Fishing Regulations Digest:[/align]
[align=left]Weapons[/align]
[align=left]During closed seasons and closed hunting days on game birds (waterfowl, doves, woodcock, snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens, coots, grouse, pheasant, quail, turkey) and game animals (deer, bear, fox, rabbits, squirrels, boar, bobcats, opossum, raccoon), it is unlawful to possess any firearm or bow and arrow readily available for use. During that time in which fox season is the only open season for a game animal, it is also unlawful to possess these weapons. The following exceptions, however, should be noted: [/align]
[align=left]- 22-caliber pistols with barrels, not greater than 7.5 inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition, may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time, except by hunters during the special bow-and-arrow and muzzleloading firearms deer hunting season.[/align]

rangerdavid

imported post

any carry in a national park is prohibited. i've taken a weapon off a charlotte leo for carrying on the blue ridge parkway.

the is a bill pending to modift this, but until then, no joy.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

rangerdavid wrote:
any carry in a national park is prohibited. i've taken a weapon off a charlotte leo for carrying on the blue ridge parkway.

Does the "national carry" cookie that LEO's have been awarded not allow them to carry in national parks?

Dragon88

imported post

Well it's a shame, I think the forest is one place you might actually need a gun for personal protection. Not a lot of cops out there if something happens.

Thanks for the info.

TFED12

imported post

Uwharrie is a national forest not a national park. HR 218 LEOSA allows Law Enforcement to carry concealed weaponsin any statenationwide but must follow state firearms regulations. NC firearms laws Exempt LEO's from most prohibited areas but the National Park bill is still pending.

rangerdavid

imported post

DreQo wrote:
rangerdavid wrote:

Does the "national carry" cookie that LEO's have been awarded not allow them to carry in national parks?

sorry, i just now saw your question, but i think it was very well answered above.