• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brand new in Kentucky

Echo_Four

imported post

My wife is in medical school at Pikeville College, so we've come to Kentucky. Being from Oklahoma, I am used to a friendly enviornment for shooters and guns, but open carry is totally foreign to me.

From my observation, I have yet to see anyone open carrying without a badge next to the firearm. I've thought it would be nice to be able to open carry from time to time, a trip to the gas station or the like would be much easier if concealment wasn't a concern. But, I also don't really see any reason to make too many waves. Since this is the single most liberal community I've ever even visited (well "democratic" I don't know how liberal they are for sure) I don't know how well it would go over. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in Pikeville or the surronding area.

Thanks in advance!

Statesman

imported post

This post should not be construed to be legal advice, and is given for informational purposes only. Please check with an attorney before using any information given.

I'm not the best person to speak on the topic of open carry (OC), however I do know it's important that you be familiar with the laws surrounding Open Carry in KY. It appears that each given area of KY may respond differently to someone open carrying, regardless of what the law says, both from a citizens point of view, and even some law enforcement officers (LEOs).

While I am not a lawyer, and I do not give legal advice, I would recommend you to view or purchase the BUSTED: The Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
post regarding handling police encounters. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle such encounters.

I don't believe OC should be considered to be making waves. I don't believe guns should have to be hidden from the public. Open Carry by definition, should be viewed as non-agressive and non-confrontational, since:
  1. a person is explicitly being open about the fact they are armed
  2. they most likely are not a criminal (criminals tend to conceal their weapons)
  3. law abiding gun owners who open carry provide a deterrent effect on crime
Therefore, when we deal with people who fears a person who Open Carrys, one should realize they are, generally speaking, dealing with ignorance, in the true sense of the word. As bizarre as it may sound, this fact sometimes applies to law enforcement officers. I've been told these are the newer recruits, that may not be familiar with OC laws. At least I hope that's the case.

It also appears that people feel safer in a group setting when excercising Open Carry for the first few times, so you might want to come to one of our gatherings to start out.

Also, it may be a good idea to go ahead and go for your CCDW permit/license. Aside from the obvious benefit of having basic training in nomenclature, stances, and use of force and deadly force laws in KY, if you are ever caught in a situation where an officer believes you are concealing a weapon, a CCDW permit would negate the charge. I believe it also covers any other deadly weapon that you may have on your person. Many people who Open Carry also carry big knives.

This post should not be construed to be legal advice, and is given for informational purposes only. Please check with an attorney before using any information given.

Echo_Four

imported post

Thanks for the advice. The permit issue isn't a problem, I presently have two of them that are recognized in Kentucky. I'm not really nervous about carrying, I just don't want to upset people that don't need to be upset.

I believe that when we don't consider the way those around us feel we are doing more harm to our issue that anything else can do. You make a soccer mom too nervous and you've created a lifetime anti that can cause problems.

N00blet45

imported post

If someone is so upset by the mere sight of a firearm then I doubt you'll ever be able to make them comfortable around them without intensive therapy. The main reason that people are uncomfortable is because they haven't been exposed to them before in a neutral/positive way. The best thing we can do is to carry ourselves in a respectable manner while carrying. Once that upset person starts to see us as individuals instead of stereotypes then it is only a matter of time before they warm up to the idea of openly armed citizens. On the other hand, if they can't overcome that stereotype then they will never be comfortable with us.

I for one will not let someone else's comfort overrule my rights or the safety of myself and my family. If I'm legally allowed to be somewhere and armed and they have the problem then they should leave. I shouldn't have to hide something because they are afraid. If I was walking my dog down the street should I go to the other side of the street just because someone I pass might be afraid of dogs? Similarly, should my Black friend go to the other side of the street because someone I pass might not be comfortable around Black people?

I understand trying to ease people's concerns but no one's rights should take a backseat to someone's comfort level.

Statesman

imported post

Echo_Four wrote:
Thanks for the advice. The permit issue isn't a problem, I presently have two of them that are recognized in Kentucky. I'm not really nervous about carrying, I just don't want to upset people that don't need to be upset.

I believe that when we don't consider the way those around us feel we are doing more harm to our issue that anything else can do. You make a soccer mom too nervous and you've created a lifetime anti that can cause problems.
That's certainly possible. It depends on the deamenor of the person OCing, and how the encounter is handled. I think this is why the OpenCarry.org pamphlet idea currently underway in other states, and soon to be KY, will be a huge success.

zer0cool

imported post

N00b... Darn you, I was going to comment on this but you took the precise words outta my mouth.... Theres nothing left for me to say.:lol:

Not even left wing Obama could have made a better speech about or 2A rights... oh wait... :uhoh:

tito887

imported post

that's the medical school that I'm interested in. I would prefer to be a D.O.(Doctor of Osteopathich medicine). She has started school already right? How does she like it? And how does she like Pikesville? welcome to Kentucky:lol:

Echo_Four

imported post

She likes the school, neither of us are in love with the community- but that is a whole other subject. That attitude here is just different, and they people cannot drive to save their lives. (I kid you not, stop signs usually don't even convince people to slow down.) The school makes a real investment in their students, which is unusual in my experience. The only downside is the cost. If it wasn't for a significant amount of scholarships I would have insisted she attend an M.D. school. Getting the D.O. degree is much more expensive, even at public institutions.

As for the rest, I couldn't disagree more. When I am walking my dogs I do cross to the other side of the street if possible, no need to make someone feel uncomfortable if you don't have to. It appears that there is an attitude that other people don't matter, and I don't agree. I guess I'll just have to watch people a little more and see how they react.

N00blet45

imported post

That's your thing then. Nothing wrong with you doing it your way, just like there is nothing wrong with me doing it my way. Hence the reason it's a right and not a privilege.

Echo_Four

imported post

Very true. If I implied there was anything wrong with doing it your way I didn't intend to do so. It just isn't how I handle myself.

TheMrMitch

imported post

*Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted

That's the law. Nooblet hit it perfectly, butI might add.....If YOU are comfortable with OC, then by all means do so. I am very relaxed and comfortable and OC most of the time.