Thread: Open carry with cpl

Post imported post

I've heard that you can't OC if you have your CPL, is this true? If not can someone tell me where exactly I can find the law that states you can. I've looked and can't find it at MSP or MI leg. I'm going to be buying my first pistol and want as much info as I can get.

Post imported post

Go to the top of the page and view the open carry info thread. It has most all the info you will need.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

WiTh3r311 wrote:
    I've heard that you can't OC if you have your CPL, is this true? If not can someone tell me where exactly I can find the law that states you can. I've looked and can't find it at MSP or MI leg. I'm going to be buying my first pistol and want as much info as I can get.
    Did you find what you needed? You can OC with or without a CPL. The CPL allows you to conceal a handgun if you choose and also makes transporting iteasier.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I think your question is that if you have a CPL does it restrict you to concealed carry or can you still Open Carry. There may be such a case but I don not know of any case where having a CPL curtails your rights that you would have without one. So the answer would be that if you can OC without a CPL you can with a CPL. The CPL adds to your abilities but does not atake any away.

I am sure that some sharp person will point out some case where this is not true but it is not in SC and the legislature evan passed an unnecessary law to make sure everyone understood that.

Post imported post

Having a CPL license, or any license for that matter, confers and/or limits whatever rights it specifically states in the law which establishes licensing. Michigan has not stated that the CPL limits any rights. There are VERY FEW rights that are specifically limited by accepting a license (this usually occurs in professional licensing, ie physician, nurse, architect, etc.) If I have an automobile driver's license, can I no longer ride a bicycle??
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WiTh3r311 wrote:
    Actually, a CPL enhances your open carry rights in Michigan.

You can carry basically anywhere openly, with a cpl, including a bank, etc.

Courthouses, post office, federal buildings all fall under federal laws.

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    Snip...............If I have an automobile driver's license, can I no longer ride a bicycle??
    Actually... If you have a drivers license in MI. you can no longer WALK anyplace, you MUST drive.

I think thats how it goes...... :what:

Post imported post

WiTh3r311 wrote:
    HI and welcome

Post imported post

Welcome as well! ..... 'I think he lost our site.