• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with cpl

WiTh3r311

imported post

[align=left]I've heard that you can't OC if you have your CPL, is this true? If not can someone tell me where exactly I can find the law that states you can. I've looked and can't find it at MSP or MI leg. I'm going to be buying my first pistol and want as much info as I can get.
[/align]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

WiTh3r311 wrote:
[align=left]I've heard that you can't OC if you have your CPL, is this true? If not can someone tell me where exactly I can find the law that states you can. I've looked and can't find it at MSP or MI leg. I'm going to be buying my first pistol and want as much info as I can get.
[/align]
Did you find what you needed? You can OC with or without a CPL. The CPL allows you to conceal a handgun if you choose and also makes transporting iteasier.

PT111

imported post

I think your question is that if you have a CPL does it restrict you to concealed carry or can you still Open Carry. There may be such a case but I don not know of any case where having a CPL curtails your rights that you would have without one. So the answer would be that if you can OC without a CPL you can with a CPL. The CPL adds to your abilities but does not atake any away.

I am sure that some sharp person will point out some case where this is not true but it is not in SC and the legislature evan passed an unnecessary law to make sure everyone understood that.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Having a CPL license, or any license for that matter, confers and/or limits whatever rights it specifically states in the law which establishes licensing. Michigan has not stated that the CPL limits any rights. There are VERY FEW rights that are specifically limited by accepting a license (this usually occurs in professional licensing, ie physician, nurse, architect, etc.) If I have an automobile driver's license, can I no longer ride a bicycle??

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WiTh3r311 wrote:
[/align]

Actually, a CPL enhances your open carry rights in Michigan.

You can carry basically anywhere openly, with a cpl, including a bank, etc.

Courthouses, post office, federal buildings all fall under federal laws.

Leader

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Snip...............If I have an automobile driver's license, can I no longer ride a bicycle??

Actually... If you have a drivers license in MI. you can no longer WALK anyplace, you MUST drive.

I think thats how it goes...... :D:D:lol::what:

taxwhat

imported post

WiTh3r311 wrote:
[/align]
HI and welcome