• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman Has Gun Blow up in Face

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

The Talon's slide looks pretty thin (design problem) at those points where it broke. Also, the type of metal used may not have been the best.

Major name-brand gunmaker Beretta had slide crackingissues in some of theirTomcat Model 3032semi-autos, and they were only 32ACP...the Talon was a 9mm. I have an inox Tomcat and the slide definitely is beefed up compared to earlier versions. Maybe the obscure brand Talon needs that also...if it survives the lawsuit that is.

As for reloads, I didn't see where it said she was using reloads and besides, most reloaders are pretty careful and produce a quality reloaded ammo. I know I did.

I thinkTalon isin trouble.

-- John D.

P.S. I know the Beretta silde is an open design and the Talon slide is not, but still, the Talon's slide looks weak, let alone the issue re: the kind of metal they used for it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Whoaa. That is NOT a good thing. Just think if that shot she was taking was one that was aimed at a BG who had put her life in danger?

Glad to see she is not about to let this episode ruin her desire to continue to own and use firearms.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Whoaa. That is NOT a good thing. Just think if that shot she was taking was one that was aimed at a BG who had put her life in danger?

Glad to see she is not about to let this episode ruin her desire to continue to own and use firearms.
I second that emotion!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

IF the Talon really is a cheaply-made gun, another problem with them is they aren't durable enough to hold up to very many practice sessions. A Jennings 22LR auto I used to own is one such example.

Just another reason to buy a reliable as well as durable gun. As I've said, if $$ is an issue, then get a military surplus "obsolete" gun.

As I await the arrival of Hurricane Gustav -- if it veres West and hits Galveston instead of the projected target LA -- I know my two very robust milsurp Tokarevs will hold up fine should I need them to repel boarders (looters).

Surviving the National Guard (or local authorities) if they try to forcibly evacuate and disarm me is more of a concern than looters though (it's a shame we have to me more worried about the "good guys" than the bad guys)!

:shock:

...if I survive the hurricane's hit that is, since I'm staying, not evacuating.

-- John D.