• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High capacity .45 acp

357luvr

imported post

First off, I don't want a 1911 style weapon. Let's not debate over this, I just have never had one before and since it'll literally be my last line of defense, I don't want one now.

Now, if you look athttp://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15281&forum_id=60&jump_to=254134you'll see that I recently had to defend myself from a vicious pitt bull. Someone on there noticed that I use a 44 magnum revolver and suggested that I be a little more cautious with the use of my ammo. I now have 2 different speedloaders available to me at all times but I rarely if ever carry them. I just leave them loaded in the gun safe.

So this has led me to believe that it'd simply be quicker to grab another gun rather than to wrestle reloading the revolver. I want a .45 ACP and a high capacity one at that. I've narrowed it down to Glock (always gonna be my first choice) 21, preferably a 21SF. A Taurus 24/7 OSS. Or an XD. The XD is pretty much my last choice, I justdon't like them and there's no way around that.

I'm looking for opinions of the 3 firearms listed. I know nothing about Taurus pistols (although I'm very familiar and pleased with their revolvers) and I've only shot an XD a couple of times. That was a 9mm subcompact, very different from the large framed 45 that I'm considering now. The Glock is the one I'm most familiar with. I've had multiple G20's over the years and I know that aside from the caliber it's chambered for, they're basically the same gun. However, I do NOT want another 10mm. Yes, I prefer the power of the 10mm cartridge but I prefer the cost of the 45acp cartridge.

Like I said, this is going to be my last line of defense and will be treated as such. I'll shoot it enough to get and stay proficient with it but after that, it'll pretty much be a SHTF gun.

Any suggestions or advicewould be greatly appreciated.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I don't know anything about the others, but I am very happy with my Glock 21. I've never had any mechanical problems at all with it, and it is extremely accurate at self defense ranges.

Anytime its not too hot to wear jeans (more and more now), I always carry the Glock.

CrossFire

imported post

I had a Taurus PT111 9 mm for a while then I bought a SA XD 45 4" service model. I was so impressed with that gun I wound up selling the Taurus and getting the SA XD 9 SC. I have never regretted this.

357luvr

imported post

Yeah my vote is for the GLOCK. My handle should be GLOCKluvr instead of 357luvr.

IF ONLY GLOCK MADE REVOLVERS!!! LOL

I'm basically looking for the cheapest thing on the market. Used guns are what I prefer as long as their in good working order. If you happen to know the going prices of any of the guns listed (i.e. G21, Taurus 24/7 OSS (black or two toned, none of that desert tan crap) or XD 45) then please let me know. I've left my number with the local gun shop but they're busy as always and 'will call me back' which they'll promise to anyone but never does. Here's some specs of the weapons I'm looking for.

G21/G21SF preferably with night sights.
Taurus 24/7 OSS (Black or two toned) again, preferably with night sights
XD 45 (black or two toned) once again, preferably with night sights.

I'm looking for a 45acp (none of that 45 GAP bull) with at least 12 rounds in the gun and mag. I'm looking for a true SHTF gun and my 6 round revolver just ain't going to cut it unless I they simply stand there for a moment and let me get a head shot. I want something that can deliver 3 rounds into 4 BG's before a reload. I'm thinking that the Glock is my best choice, I just wanted to see what y'alls opinion are.

CrossFire

imported post

I paid $575.00 for myXD 45 new in the box just over a year ago. From what i see in stores and gun shows down here the Taurus is least costly of your picks but I have only had that one 9 mm Taurus. Got it new for just under $400.00.

67GT390FB

imported post

since you don't want to hear anything about a 1911 i won't try and change your mind...cough cough best last line of defense gun ever...cough cough...have a 1914 built 1911 that has lived a rough life but it still functions flawlessly 96 years later..cough cough...call me in 80 years and lets see how the polymers in that glock have aged....cough cough:lol:

sorry about that had to clear my throat.:lol:

since that's the case my choice is the XD45, i have a two-tone service model 4" barrell, full grip, tru glo combo tritium and fibre optic sights. the only thing i would change would be to change the color of the front sight to makeit that much quicker to aquire the target.

for me the glock just doesn't feel right in my hand. it feels blockier in the grip than the xd and more importantly for me the grip angle is just not a good fit. when i draw and point the glock i have to tilt my wrist up to get on target. the xd shares a similar grip angle with my 1911 and thus when i draw and point the gun is on target.

i like the service model xd45, i don't like the compact xd45 when using the extended mag as i can feel the mag move beneath my fingers and this can be distracting while shooting. with the short mag in its fine, youjust have to get used to the short grip.

to me quality is equal between the guns glock and xd. the xd does have some added features like the loaded chamber indicator and cocked firing pin indicators that can be felt in the dark or if temporarily blinded/vision impaired.

so its down to personal preference. i'm kind of completely opposite from you it seems. If someone gave me a glock i'd trade it in/sell it and get something else as they just don't fit me.

i really haven't discussed the taurus. thats because i wouldn't even put it into consideration between an xd and a glock.

Dustin

imported post

The G21 is lighter, so there's a little more recoil, which can slow down your follow up shots, and spread your double tap some.

The XD Service model wieghs a little more which reduces some of the recoil.

Personally they are both great guns,

But I prefer to NOT give my money to AUSTRIA !

I say XD .45 all day pal. ;)

67GT390FB

imported post

Dustin wrote:
The G21 is lighter, so there's a little more recoil, which can slow down your follow up shots, and spread your double tap some.

The XD Service model wieghs a little more which reduces some of the recoil.

Personally they are both great guns,

But I prefer to NOT give my money to AUSTRIA ! is their an issue w/ austria in particular or should we send back our croatian made xd's?

I say XD .45 all day pal. ;)

357luvr

imported post

I knew a 1911 biggot would be on here pretty quick. lolTo be honest, I just don't want to have it in the safe cocked and locked and well... forget about the locked part. I believe in my trigger finger being the safety. Anything else is just asking for trouble when the SHTF. At least in my hands.

As for the 1911, like I said, I don't like cocked and locked. I could just leave it with an empty chamber (I don't plan to carry it, it'll just be a 'if I can make it to the gun safe' type of SHTF gun) and simply rack the slide when needed (takes mere tenths of a second to do so) but that 10th of a second could be the difference between life of death. Plus, aren't most 1911's only 7-8 round models? I've heard (from 1911 haters) that the double stack versions don't feel right and aren't as reliable. Like I said, I can take care of the first 3 bad guys with my 6 round 44mag revolver. But if I ever had to fire in self defense again, I want to be ready to take on a whole team of attackers. That being said 7 or 8 rounds just aren't enough.

The Taurus is supposedly capable of 10's of 1000's of failure free rounds through it and was supposedly designed specifically for special forces. At least that's what Taurus says. I don't believe everything I hear and I've heard absolutely nothing about the OSS so I'm very skeptical. Add to it the fact that it's (by FAR) the cheapest thing available and I'm down right scared of it.

As far as Glock versus XD, I personally prefer the GLOCK. It just fits me better and out of all the Glocks that I've had, I've had a total of ZERO malfunctions out of thousands and thousands of rounds fired. I have nothing bad to say about the XD, I've only fired one say a couple hundred times at most but if I were to have fired it more times, I would've most likely had a better opinion of it. All in all, I just don't like XD but would not hesitate to pick one up in defense of my life or the ones I love.

So far, I'm at either the Taurus OSS at around 400-450, the XD at $450-550 (with night sights) or the Glock that's gonna run at least$550 BEFORE getting Night Sights installed. I just bought a ~$625 44 magnum Lever ActionRifle (PUMA M92) and I'm trying to save up for both a SHTF pistol AND a reloading setup AND an assualt rifle of some sort (most likely a 9mm bushmaster, looking for something with a lot of stopping power but very little overpenetration, i.e. anything but 5.56mm/7.62)

Basically I don't want to get something just because it's cheap. That's a deathwish if you ask me. However, I simply don't think I can afford the Glock. I'm just wondering what your opinion is, cheap and unfamiliar (the XD), just plain cheap (OSS), or something that's worth every penny but it costs a hell of a lot of pennies (the G21). What do I do guys. I'm completely stuck here.

Dustin

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
is their an issue w/ austria in particular or should we send back our croatian made xd's?

What else does it say on your XD ?

What else does it say on a Glock ?

Springfield has a Major say in what and how XD's are made. Being that Springfield is an American Company, your still paying them for the Pistol, no matter where the pistol is made from.

Glock is made in Austria, with NO American Affiliation whatsoever.

357luvr

imported post

Dustin wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
is their an issue w/ austria in particular or should we send back our croatian made xd's?

Springfield has a Major say in what and how XD's are made. Being that Springfield is an American Company, your still paying them for the Pistol, no matter where the pistol is made from.

Well I support the U.S. of A. all the freakin way. Maybe I should go up and handle an XD again. I sold my old 9mm XD to a friend that *MIGHT* just be willing to let me borrow it for a few hours. How much does 9mm ammo run now a days. Last time I went to wally world, you could get a 100rd. Value Pack for like $20-25. If that's still true, I might just borrow my friends XD and give it a try.

Oh and Dustin, thanks for bringing up the weight issue. Seeing as how I don't even plan to buy an extra holster for it (except for the XD gear you get with the gun, assuming I go with the XD) and never intend to carry it, the added weight will only help the follow up shots.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the 4" or possibly even the 5" XD model with night sights. Black or preferably two toned.

67GT390FB

imported post

Dustin wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

if thats my main argument then i'd rather have a gun made here by american labor for a foreign based company though i still don't want a glock and would pick and xd.

most glocks sold here are made here:

GLOCK, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

the nines are still made in austria but the US popular calibers are made here.

thus the foreign company is paying taxes on profits made here and paying wages to american employees. in the case of an xd the mfg is taking place in croatia. not the best argument if you ask me. and sorry but i'd stack the technical manufacturing precision of austria with the us of a. look where most high end precision measuring devices are made.

so lets stick with the diffrences between the end products.

357luvr

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Dustin wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

if thats my main argument then i'd rather have a gun made here by american labor for a foreign based company though i still don't want a glock and would pick and xd.

most glocks sold here are made here:

GLOCK, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

the nines are still made in austria but the US popular calibers are made here.

thus the foreign company is paying taxes on profits made here and paying wages to american employees. in the case of an xd the mfg is taking place in croatia. not the best argument if you ask me. and sorry but i'd stack the technical manufacturing precision of austria with the us of a. look where most high end precision measuring devices are made.

so lets stick with the diffrences between the end products.
You guys aren't making this easy for me! Now I'm simply torn. I called wally world and they've got 100rds of 9mm for less than $20 so I'm going to TRY to borrow the one I sold to a friend of mine and see how it feels. I figure that I know and love Glocks, might as well try out the XD.

357luvr

imported post

Okay so I was just searching the Taurus website and found two VERY different 45's that both appeal to me.

The first is the TAURUS 24/7 PRO™ .45 ACP PISTOL IN STAINLESS STEEL "LONG SLIDE" and the other is 24/7 PRO™ COMPACT PISTOL WITH RIBBER GRIP OVERLAY. They both have 12+1 capacity of .45 ACP but they're built for two completely different purposes. My way of thinking is that a smaller gun with the same capacity will only lack in the area of long range shots (got a 44mag lever action rifle for that) and follow up shots.

Here's a link to the Compact
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=634&category=Pistol

And here's a link to the Long Slide
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=167&category=Pistol

The long slide version can be found at $410 on gunbroker ( http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108742363 )

And the Compact version can be found for less that $350
( http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108557047 )

Basically, I know I said I didn't want to get something just because it's cheap but good lord that's almost half the cost of the Glock that I'm considering. I figure that's a heck of a lot of ammo. My only question is that of reliability. Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 24/7 family of pistols? My uncle had a first gen millenium prosomething or another and it couldn't feed more than half a mag before malfunctioning.

Now for the XD's. First, they come with the XD Gear which is all but useless unless I carry it butI never know what I'll carry. It all depends on the comfortability I have in/for the weapon. I carried an XD once and I would certainly do so again. At least if that was my only choice I would.

Now as for prices, here's a 5" XD, with the XD gear, and night sights for $600.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108702351

Here's a 4" model with the same things for $550
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108712192

Both of these are waay above my price range. I'm wanting something that is no more than $525 plus tax.

What are y'alls opinion of barrel length/sight radius. If I get anything but a long slide, it'll be for self defense ranges ONLY. That means if the targets more than 10-12 yards away, I'm either going to need something to 'reach out and touch someone' OR take that distance as an opportunity to retreat and call for back up. Basically, I'm thinking that I'm out with my girlfriend and are ambushed by a group of 5 guys.After I put two to the chest and one to the head of 4 of them then a tactical reload (if I have 13-14 rounds then I'll still have at least one in the chamber and possibly one in the mag), the 5th guy grabs my girl and takes her hostage while retreating. I'm not saying that I would, or even could take that shot, but I want something that's able to put a bullet between the eyes of the HT (hostage taker) without ever coming close (relatively speaking) to hitting my girl.

Now I'm not trying to be a troll or anything and I'm not asking anyone's opinion of the above scenario because neither you nor I know with certanty what would go on during that type of situation. However, with the compact Taurus, I wouldn't be ABLE to take a 15-20 yard HT shot. At least I don't think the gun is capable of that. Much less the gun in my hands. The long slide XD though, I have no doubt that the gun could outshoot me all day long and while it may not be on par with something like an H&K USP Tactical (the most accurate auto I've ever handled/shot), it'll (no doubt) out shoot my shaky smoker hands all day long. That's what I want but I just can't afford it.

Let's make one thing clear, whether or not I carry it is a completely different and unanswerable question. What I'm mainly looking for is a SHTF *HOUSE* gun. I trust my life to the 44mag revolver, what I'm looking for is something to put enough lead down range to get yet another gun and/or my ammo box and then get the heck outta dodge! Having said that, is there any point in getting a$500 -$600 Glock or XD when there's a $410 Long slide Taurus option available?

I really need to know what the reliability is of the Taurus pistols. Even though I never shot my uncle's Millenium Pro, knowing that it was that unreliable just puts a bad taste in my mouth. Please someone give me some links or testimony that will change my mind.

Lykosis

imported post

First off, I'm another one of those 1911 biggots, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating or accepting that other firearms can be just as good or better for certain situations or in certain hands. There are a few things that I consider for a SHTF gun other than the basic 'does it work for me issues': capacity, size, action, durability, and prevelance.

Concerning capacity: all of the guns that you mentioned will either have 13+1, 14+1 or 15+1, depending on magazine extensions.

Concerning size: all are of similiar size, and if they are going to be safe queens until a moment of need or for practice, I would suggest nothing less than a 5" barrel. The .45 ACP was designed for the 1911, which has a 5" barrel. You will get the better performance from the round if you stick with that length, or go longer if you want to or can.

Concerning durability: all have similiar tolerances. Taurus has been a little behind on that department, but if current tests are true, they are just as likely to consistantly work as the other two.

Concerning prevelance: this is what organizations use the pistol, and the aftermarket availability for standard and 'tweeking' parts. Glocks have this catergory hands down, currently.

Now on to the specific pistols. I have shot both the Glock 21 and the XD 45. The OSS is so new that none of my friends nor the local ranges have them for rent/use. the Glock that I shot had a 25 cent trigger job done to it, making the pounds of pull to around 3.5 lbs., which is similiar to my 1911. You might not want this since you are used to revolvers and the longer, stiffer trigger pull. I liked it, though, and I am planning on getting a Glock 21SF, doing the trigger job, and having it as my SHTF gun. Since local LE uses it as well, I will have plenty of opportunity to 'scavange' if the Zombpocalypse happens. The gun was extremely accurate for me at 40' (all in the 9 ring) and that sold me on it. Also, you can get a 2 round magazine extension, which brings the total rounds to 15+1, which is great. Remember, if you get a 21SF, only the new generation magazines will work in it.

My brother has an XD .45, which I put about 50 rounds through so far. It has a very different recoil than the Glock. It felt snappier, with the barrel rising a bit more than the Glock and my 1911, while the Glock felt like it was pushing back into me. I kept it in the 8 ring at 40'. Comparing the two, I would go for the Glock.

I know nothing about the OSS eccept what articles that I have read, and that it has a repeatable trigger. This is the only plus that I can see about it without having fired or handled it.

Of the three, if I had to buy one this second, I would choose the Glock 21SF.

Other guns to consider: Swith & Wesson makes their M&P in .45 now. A true American company, and the M&P has been accused of 'out Glocking the Glock' in durability and accuracy. The FN P45 is also a hi-cap .45 that you get in multiple configurations, one of which includes magazine capacity - 10+1, 14+1, or 15+1. I have held a few, and they are, to me, more ergonamic than any mentioned above. It comes with 3 magazines and is about the same price as the Glock. I am also considering purchasing one when funds allow.

nova

imported post

I like ALL guns. I'd own a 1911 if it was higher up on my list (and if my father didn't have a nice Colt that I can shoot anytime I ask him :) ) but the only 'high capacity' .45 I own is a 5" XD45acp I got complete with all the factory goodies for just 350 bucks used, and the previous owner only put 300rds though it before deciding he liked his G21 better.

Oh well, I got a great deal on it, its been 100% reliable even with Wolf ammo...and its also great having a gun that won't rust (since its a newer model with the melonite) but isn't shiny stainless :D

357luvr

imported post

Lykosis wrote:
First off, I'm another one of those 1911 biggots, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating or accepting that other firearms can be just as good or better for certain situations or in certain hands. There are a few things that I consider for a SHTF gun other than the basic 'does it work for me issues': capacity, size, action, durability, and prevelance.

Concerning capacity: all of the guns that you mentioned will either have 13+1, 14+1 or 15+1, depending on magazine extensions.

Concerning size: all are of similiar size, and if they are going to be safe queens until a moment of need or for practice, I would suggest nothing less than a 5" barrel. The .45 ACP was designed for the 1911, which has a 5" barrel. You will get the better performance from the round if you stick with that length, or go longer if you want to or can.

Concerning durability: all have similiar tolerances. Taurus has been a little behind on that department, but if current tests are true, they are just as likely to consistantly work as the other two.

Concerning prevelance: this is what organizations use the pistol, and the aftermarket availability for standard and 'tweeking' parts. Glocks have this catergory hands down, currently.

Now on to the specific pistols. I have shot both the Glock 21 and the XD 45. The OSS is so new that none of my friends nor the local ranges have them for rent/use. the Glock that I shot had a 25 cent trigger job done to it, making the pounds of pull to around 3.5 lbs., which is similiar to my 1911. You might not want this since you are used to revolvers and the longer, stiffer trigger pull. I liked it, though, and I am planning on getting a Glock 21SF, doing the trigger job, and having it as my SHTF gun. Since local LE uses it as well, I will have plenty of opportunity to 'scavange' if the Zombpocalypse happens. The gun was extremely accurate for me at 40' (all in the 9 ring) and that sold me on it. Also, you can get a 2 round magazine extension, which brings the total rounds to 15+1, which is great. Remember, if you get a 21SF, only the new generation magazines will work in it.

My brother has an XD .45, which I put about 50 rounds through so far. It has a very different recoil than the Glock. It felt snappier, with the barrel rising a bit more than the Glock and my 1911, while the Glock felt like it was pushing back into me. I kept it in the 8 ring at 40'. Comparing the two, I would go for the Glock.

I know nothing about the OSS eccept what articles that I have read, and that it has a repeatable trigger. This is the only plus that I can see about it without having fired or handled it.

Of the three, if I had to buy one this second, I would choose the Glock 21SF.

Other guns to consider: Swith & Wesson makes their M&P in .45 now. A true American company, and the M&P has been accused of 'out Glocking the Glock' in durability and accuracy. The FN P45 is also a hi-cap .45 that you get in multiple configurations, one of which includes magazine capacity - 10+1, 14+1, or 15+1. I have held a few, and they are, to me, more ergonamic than any mentioned above. It comes with 3 magazines and is about the same price as the Glock. I am also considering purchasing one when funds allow.

I'll work from the bottom of your post. I had considered the M&P but didn't know how much they run. Nothing made by S&W is going to be cheap and I've never even read a review on them. That's why I wasn't considering that.

Quick question, does the SF stand for SHORT or SLIM fame? Some say short some say slim and I'm just looking for the rundown on the G21SF.

Hands down, if I could have any of the guns listed above, it would definitely be the G21SF. Suprisingly enough, they're actually cheaper than the 5" XD Tactical. However, like I said, I'm looking to start building a reloading set up and looking for an assault rifle and looking for a SHTF pistol. So money is a HUUUUUUUUGE factor.

Having said all that, the 24/7 compact has grown on me quite a bit. I know that the .45acp cartridge was developed around a barrel much longer than that of the compact in question which has a 3.3" barrel. However, a 45 caliber bullet is going to hurt no matter what size barrel it's shot out of. Plus, with an out the door price tag of around $425, it just can't be beaten in my opinion. However the Long Slide version is only slightly more expensive and the question in my mind is if it's worth it.

As I and you have said, this will be a safe queen unless needed to defend myself or practice for such an event. Any fight that's going to take more than 6 rounds of any caliber much less 44 magnum is a fight that I'll most likely loose. Basically I'm looking for a SHTF BUG. In general, BUG's are smaller than the gun tat it's backing up. Since my 44 magnum hand cannon is down right honkin huge, I think even the Long Slide version would be smaller than my 4" revolver. So either one would fit the BUG criteria to a T.

So basically I'm still wondering about the Taurus 24/7 Pro Pistols and their reliability. If it's not dead nuts reliable, I don't want it. This will be the absolute last line of defense for me and basically all I need is for it to throw enough lead to get everyone's head down long enough for me to reload the revolver, grab my rifle and ammo box and head into the woods.

Here's how I see it. I've got6 rounds of 44 magnum, 9 rounds of 44 special and 3 rounds of snake shot shells. All deadly if within the right range and/or hit in the right part of the body. Then I've got a 9+1 round 44mag rifle and a ammo box holding at least 100 magnum rounds right next to it. Right now this is how everything is set up. As of this moment, the revolver is loaded with 6 rounds of 44 special Hornady XTP's. There's one speedloader loaded with 44mag Speer Gold Dots, the other speedloader is loaded with 3 44 special XTP's and 3 snake shot shells. The rifle is loaded first with 2 rounds of speer Gold Dot ammo and then followed by 8 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shoks. Then, I've got 115 (I just counted) rounds worth of reloaded ammoloaded with plated bullets which is all but useless in the rifle since they shoot at roughly 1750fps and the plating on the bullets is only good to about 1200fps. I plan to buy more (jacketed) ammo soon but as of now, that's all I got.

What I'm getting at is that I feel that I need more than that. The rifle is not all that good of a HD weapon since a 44mag round will go straight through a human body if it's traveling at or above 1800fps. Since I'm surrounded by houses in all but one area, I don't want to start spitting lead and end up hitting an innocent 3 houses away. The rifle is for the retreat into the woods. So I'm looking for something to give me a chance to reload the revolver, grab my extra ammo and the rifle and head to the woods. For that I need a pistol. A high caliber, high capacity, andhighly reliable pistol. The ability to stuff the (unloaded) pistol (as well as a couple loaded mags) into my pockets as I retreat would be really nice. That's why I like the idea of the compact.

I'll give this post a couple days to have some of the other members give me their opinions of the 24/7 pistols. If you have any comments or suggestions, throw them out there. I'm anxious to hear them. Thanks everyone!

RedKnightt

imported post

My $0.02: I carry a Baby Eagle in .45. I wanted something in .45 ACP, and I like that it has a little higher capacity (10+1) than an 1911 (I have one of those, too :D). It has a manual safety, is DA/SA with an exposed hammer. It's a pretty rugged gun, a proven design (based on the CZ-75), and most importantly (to me), it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot. I also really like the way it looks, but that is a very secondary characteristic for me. The after market support is not as strong. There is a laser available to fit it, but not laser grips (yet). I've seen holsters from Don Hume and Black Hills Leather, and I'm in the midst of getting Bluegrass to make one for me if he can get a mold.

Here's a review of it by R.K. Campbell:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

357luvr

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
My $0.02: I carry a Baby Eagle in .45. I wanted something in .45 ACP, and I like that it has a little higher capacity (10+1) than an 1911 (I have one of those, too :D). It has a manual safety, is DA/SA with an exposed hammer. It's a pretty rugged gun, a proven design (based on the CZ-75), and most importantly (to me), it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot. I also really like the way it looks, but that is a very secondary characteristic for me. The after market support is not as strong. There is a laser available to fit it, but not laser grips (yet). I've seen holsters from Don Hume and Black Hills Leather, and I'm in the midst of getting Bluegrass to make one for me if he can get a mold.

Here's a review of it by R.K. Campbell:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

About the only type of_____ Eagle I want is the Desert Eagle (in 44 mag of course)! I'm not dissing you (or at least not trying to) it's just that we obviously havevery different tastes when it comes to even halfway decent looking firearms. That thing's just FUGLY!!!

Having said that, the dual recoil spring does interest me. How does yours handle? When I say handle, I mean recoil.Compare it to a G27 if possible. I know the 27 is a .40 and that means it'll be snappier but the force behind the snap, what's your opinion of how hard it hits your hand?

kenpoprofessor

imported post

DSC00092.jpg

G21SF with ported barrel. I carry nothing but Glocks now, same trigger every time on every one of them.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde