• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High capacity .45 acp

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

More US Glocks are made in the US than there are XDs made in the US. The XD is still a good weapon. As far as recoil and split times between shots, the G21 is the lightest recoiling .45 I've ever shot (and I have shot the XD45-it's more top-heavy than the G21). You sound like you are already familiar and comortable with the GLOCK operating system, so I wouldn't change anything. The XD has some great features that no one knew they needed until the XD (or HS2000 for those of you who know what I'm talking about) came out. I don't need a striker indicator to tell me if my glock is "cocked" nor do I need a grip safety on it.

G21SF w/standard GLOCK rail, and non-ambi mag release. Don't mess with perfection!

Or, for a more concealable option, get a G30 compact (10+1 .45ACP) and you can always use G21 mags (13rds each) as reloads. The G30 is an extremely hard package to beat.

And call me prejudice, but I just don't like any of the Taurus offerings. And yes, I have shot 24/7s and Mil Pros plenty. Just don't like them.

357luvr

imported post

Trust me, if money wasn't a *major* factor. I'd go with the G21 in a heartbeat! But here's the low down. The Compact Taurus could be bought and in the safe for around or less than $425. The long slide Taurus could be gotten for right around $500.

Now unfortunatley, I don't know anyone in LE so I can't get a discounted gun like what someone suggested. That means that a Glock, unless I can find one used, is gonna run somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.

As far the XD's, there are several on gunbroker that are between $450-500 which mean I could get one for a *LITTLE* bit less than the Glock at about $550-$575. Not worth it in my opinion. *IF* I spend that much for a gun, I'm going to spend it on the perfection known as GLOCK pistols.

For now, I'm gonna make a trip up the the gun store to get a hands on feel for a couple of the guns. I kinda doubt that they'll have the Compact Taurus, but to be honest. That's not really much of a consideration anymore. Like I've said all along, this will be a SHTF 'ALL AROUND' house gun. I need accuracy as much as I need reliability and affordability. The only option is either a long slide Taurus like this - http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108818942$410+ $20 for S&Hor a long slide XD like this -http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108702351which is a wopping $599 with $20 s&h. Big difference wouldn't ya say?

RedKnightt

imported post

357luvr wrote:
About the only type of_____ Eagle I want is the Desert Eagle (in 44 mag of course)! I'm not dissing you (or at least not trying to) it's just that we obviously havevery different tastes when it comes to even halfway decent looking firearms. That thing's just FUGLY!!!

Having said that, the dual recoil spring does interest me. How does yours handle? When I say handle, I mean recoil.Compare it to a G27 if possible. I know the 27 is a .40 and that means it'll be snappier but the force behind the snap, what's your opinion of how hard it hits your hand?
The recoil on the Baby Eagle is very mild and controllable. Part of that is due to the dual recoil spring, and part is due to the fact that it is an all steel gun. It's heavier than other semiautos of comparable size, but the extra weight eats some of the recoil. I've never fired a G27, as I'm not a big fan of the Glocks, but compared to my 1911 .45, the recoil is significantly less. If you have a friend with a CZ or Jericho/Witness, they are comparable or almost identical to the Baby Eagle.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

357luvr

imported post

Basically, I'm looking at the baby eagle as the same thing as a Ruger P-series. They're both just down right ugly but they're both very accurate and at least the ruger is as reliable as sig or hk. How reliable isyour eagle? Unless you've fired thousands of failure free rounds, I don't want it.

This is what my uncle said
How trusting are you? There are people out there who trust their lives
to a Hi-Point. Their .45's suggested retail price is $186, and the mag
holds 9 rounds. Not quite the 10 round minimum you wanted, and it makes
the P-series look like a beauty queen, but the price is right, for sure.
I don't actually expect you to go that route, but you understand the
point I'm making. You have to decide what is acceptable - both in price
and quality, as well as the other features you want.

I'll probably try out the Taurus pistol. I may regret it but I doubt that'll happen.

xdron

imported post

I can't say anything on the 45 in particular, but I will speak up for XD. I've got the XD40 service, and have had it for almost 4 years nows. I was looking for a Glock, but got sold on the XD quickly. I just liked the way it seemed to fit me.

I've been told, and would agree, the best gun is the one that suits you best. If possible, try shooting each one you're interested in, and go from there. I never shot a Glock until after I bought my XD, but don't regret my choice at all.

357luvr

imported post

Well it's no-go on borrowing my old XD. I did get a chance to hold it but for like 10 seconds but that was enough, it felt like a toy in my hand. That's the only way to describe it. This was a 4" Compact9mm which is probably physically smaller than the 45 but still, for it's caliber, it felt about right. What I mean is that in my opinion, a 9mm is like an adult .22lr. Not exactly a toy but also far from a defensive firearm, again, just my opinion.

There are however,some things that I wanted to say about the XD I handled tonight.
1)I picked it up and was amazed, the sights were nearly perfectly aligned. I mean this thing pointed better than my old G27 and I swear up and down I could hit a target in the dark with that thing.
2)It felt slimmer, probably due to the 9mm caliber but still, I'm used to G20's and large frame revolvers. The grip angle must have been right since I was only a little off with my sights and that was to the left where usually with the G27 it was down and left.
3)It's an XD, glocklovers getting an XD is like a republican voting for a democrat. lol

I am now thoroughly confused. Do you get something that points well or grips well?

67GT390FB

imported post

357luvr wrote:
Well it's no-go on borrowing my old XD. I did get a chance to hold it but for like 10 seconds but that was enough, it felt like a toy in my hand. That's the only way to describe it. This was a 4" Compact9mm which is probably physically smaller than the 45 but still, for it's caliber, it felt about right. What I mean is that in my opinion, a 9mm is like an adult .22lr. Not exactly a toy but also far from a defensive firearm, again, just my opinion.

There are however,some things that I wanted to say about the XD I handled tonight.
1)I picked it up and was amazed, the sights were nearly perfectly aligned. I mean this thing pointed better than my old G27 and I swear up and down I could hit a target in the dark with that thing.
2)It felt slimmer, probably due to the 9mm caliber but still, I'm used to G20's and large frame revolvers. The grip angle must have been right since I was only a little off with my sights and that was to the left where usually with the G27 it was down and left.
3)It's an XD, glocklovers getting an XD is like a republican voting for a democrat. lol

I am now thoroughly confused. Do you get something that points well or grips well?

also as a tip never judge how a handgun "feels" balances without a full mag. paticularily the xd feels top heavy until you put a full mag in. do you ever come to richmond? if so go by dominion shooting range as they have xd's and glocks for rent.

joe

357luvr

imported post

Yeah I handled it with a full mag without one in the chamber. Didn't feel top heavy to me at all.

How much does dominion charge to rent the range and the gun? I only ask because I'll be heading that way sometime this upcoming month.

67GT390FB

imported post

they have an 8.00 range fee. i believe rental is 12.00 with one exchange for free so you could potentially shoot both a glock and a xd for 12.00 plus you have to buy their ammo so figure 20.00 per 50 rd box of 45.

glad to hear you held the gun loaded. the top heavy feeling is with an empty mag and it is not an overpowering feel just something i noticed and i like the xd.

joe

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

I've got the 24/7 Pro Taurus, one of the newer models. Shoots anything I put into it, first time every time. Has internal hammer block safety and won't go off if dropped, even if not on safe. You can put it on safe as well, and locks the trigger and action.

What I like about it? Holds 12 +1, has a FULL lifetime warranty on ALL the parts of the gun for the lifetime of the pistol, not the owner. It's easy on recoil for a .45. I have the SS slide model and it shoots Single Action on the first round and Single Action on subsequent rounds.... UNLESS you need to re-cock the striker again for a less than perfect primer, and then all you need to do is re-pull the trigger and it goes into DA automatically and re-cocks itself and then re-strikes the primer. It has never had a FTF or a stovepipe jam on me. Period.

This 24/7 Pro in Stainless Steel is only $354 at Bud's Gun Shop !! http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/19897

While you're there you can look at any of the other .45 Taurus models.

357luvr

imported post

Darth AkSarBen wrote:
I've got the 24/7 Pro Taurus, one of the newer models. Shoots anything I put into it, first time every time. Has internal hammer block safety and won't go off if dropped, even if not on safe. You can put it on safe as well, and locks the trigger and action.

What I like about it? Holds 12 +1, has a FULL lifetime warranty on ALL the parts of the gun for the lifetime of the pistol, not the owner. It's easy on recoil for a .45. I have the SS slide model and it shoots Single Action on the first round and Single Action on subsequent rounds.... UNLESS you need to re-cock the striker again for a less than perfect primer, and then all you need to do is re-pull the trigger and it goes into DA automatically and re-cocks itself and then re-strikes the primer. It has never had a FTF or a stovepipe jam on me. Period.

This 24/7 Pro in Stainless Steel is only $354 at Bud's Gun Shop !! http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/19897

While you're there you can look at any of the other .45 Taurus models.
I knew SOMEONE had to have one. Thanks for the review and the link.

357luvr

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
they have an 8.00 range fee. i believe rental is 12.00 with one exchange for free so you could potentially shoot both a glock and a xd for 12.00 plus you have to buy their ammo so figure 20.00 per 50 rd box of 45.

glad to hear you held the gun loaded. the top heavy feeling is with an empty mag and it is not an overpowering feel just something i noticed and i like the xd.

joe

OK WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THEY RENT FULL AUTOS?!?!??!!?

I'm gonna shoot an Uzi!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

67GT390FB

imported post

357luvr wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

joe
OK WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THEY RENT FULL AUTOS?!?!??!!? because you specifically asked us to limit our responses to the 3 guns listed and a mini uzi was not one of those
:monkey

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

357luvr

imported post

HA HA!!! Real funny!! I can just see the greeters face at walmart when I go shopping for some ammo while OCing an Uzi. :uhoh:

No but seriously, I was thinking that the closest place I could rent a full auto is Knob Creek, Tennessee (sp?) at they're local machine gun shoot. If all it's going to cost me is $13 per 50rds and the trip up there, I'M GONNA SHOOT AN UZI!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateI'll just have to have a very strict limit on how many boxes I can afford to buy. I could very easily see me shooting myself into a cardboard box if I wasn't careful. I'm very impulsive when it comes to guns. Either way, I've already wrote them an email asking a bunch of questions. About the only thing that bothers me is the fact you have to buy ammo from them AND leave all your brass. That's down right robbing someone. I guess I'll leave my 44's at home then because I refuse to give up that expensive brass.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll let everyone know how it goes WHEN I shoot an Uzi!!!

Lykosis

imported post

The way to describe the G21SF is that the 'butt' of the gun is not as big. Think of the interchangable backstraps on other guns, but with the G21SF having the thinnest backstrap on it. The hole at the base of the grip behind the magazine well is significantly smaller than on normal Glocks. I can't even get the tip of my pinkie finger in it, while on a normal Glock I can get my thumb in it.

What this does for me is reduce fatigue to the palm of my hand. After a few magazines through a G21, the base of my palm is a little sore because of the large bulge at the base of the grip. Because of the bulge, most of the force is transferred to the spot of the bulge instead of the entire hand. While I have not shot a G21SF, I believe that this will reduce most if not all of the fatigue and soreness that I experience from firing a G21.

I believe that the current Guns & Ammo has a review of it. I'll have to check my 'library' to be sure.

357luvr

imported post

Lykosis wrote:
The way to describe the G21SF is that the 'butt' of the gun is not as big. Think of the interchangable backstraps on other guns, but with the G21SF having the thinnest backstrap on it. The hole at the base of the grip behind the magazine well is significantly smaller than on normal Glocks. I can't even get the tip of my pinkie finger in it, while on a normal Glock I can get my thumb in it.

What this does for me is reduce fatigue to the palm of my hand. After a few magazines through a G21, the base of my palm is a little sore because of the large bulge at the base of the grip. Because of the bulge, most of the force is transferred to the spot of the bulge instead of the entire hand. While I have not shot a G21SF, I believe that this will reduce most if not all of the fatigue and soreness that I experience from firing a G21.

I believe that the current Guns & Ammo has a review of it. I'll have to check my 'library' to be sure.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't mind the regular G21. I've been shooting G20's for so long, I almost prefer the 'beer can' sized grip that it takes to hold it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

357luvr wrote:

Just a few notes:
1) All XDs (M excluded) have the same outside frame/slide dimensions in width and girth. The differences between the various models/calibers come in grip length and slide/barrel length (I argued against this being true on OCDO a long time ago and was proved absolutely wrong. Crow tastes ok with a good hot sauce.) that is why you see holsters for XDs without any note as to caliberl (unless it has a closed muzzle end).

2) There is no "compact 9mm". There is a service (4"), tactical (5") and a subcompact (3") barrel/slide. The Subcompact also has a shortened frame grip which takes either a short lower capacity mag or a full-size 9mm mag with a "sleeve" that matches the contour of the grip and extending it to the length of the standard 9mm grip.

The XD45 similarly comes in a compact model that also shortens the grip by about 3/4" to use with a 10rd mag or you can use a 13 rd sleeved mag to extend the grip to full size.

3) The standard 9mm/.40/.357 grip is shorter than the standard .45 grip by probably a little more than 1/4". My fingers are squeezed a bit to get all 4 onto a standard 9mm grip but fit perfectly on the .45 grip with a relaxed finger spread.

As to the "grips well vs points well" question I think that points well, expecially for a gun that is only going to be used at the range or SHTF, would trump. Ideally it would be both. But I'm not sure how well, "Well, I missed the zombie 10 times because this things points like crap for me and the zombie killed my wife, but darn, the grip sure felt good while shooting it" works in the real world. :p

I have an XD45 compact. I like it. I carry it about 70% of the time preferring the 13 rd mag but using the 10 rd when concealment is an issue. It is without question my number 1 bugout sidearm as it, like Glocks, can take a beating and neglect and still eat and feed anything I throw at it. It works well for me and the ergonomics fit me well although I would prefer a bigger relief for the mag release (something I am obviously not alone in as the XD(M) is designed with a bigger relief in exactly that area).

357luvr

imported post

Someone who I'm in frquent contact with through another forum has suggested that I at the very least *consider* a 9mm. His opinion is that 16+1 rounds of 9mm will do just as well as 13+1 of .45 when considering that you'll basically just be throwing enough rounds down range to give me enough time to reload the revolver, grab my rifle and ammo box, and get the heck out of dodge. Not trying to bea troll or anything but I'd kinda like everyone's opinion on whether I'd be better off with a 5" Tactical .45 or a 3" subcompact 9mm or .40 caliber. Like I said, all I'm looking to do is to have enough firepower going down range to get everyone's head down long enough for me to do a quick reload, grab the rifle and ammo can and head into the woods. If I get the subcompact I won't be expecting great accuracy but all that really matters is reliability.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

357luvr wrote:
Someone who I'm in frquent contact with through another forum has suggested that I at the very least *consider* a 9mm. His opinion is that 16+1 rounds of 9mm will do just as well as 13+1 of .45 when considering that you'll basically just be throwing enough rounds down range to give me enough time to reload the revolver, grab my rifle and ammo box, and get the heck out of dodge. Not trying to bea troll or anything but I'd kinda like everyone's opinion on whether I'd be better off with a 5" Tactical .45 or a 3" subcompact 9mm or .40 caliber. Like I said, all I'm looking to do is to have enough firepower going down range to get everyone's head down long enough for me to do a quick reload, grab the rifle and ammo can and head into the woods. If I get the subcompact I won't be expecting great accuracy but all that really matters is reliability.
I don't think it really matters for your purposes. All the guns you are considering are "combat" handguns and none are going to shoot a 1" group at 50 yards like a top end Wilson Combat 1911. Pick tthe caliber you like shooting the most and are most accurate with.