• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible Nationwide Meetup?

RIAShooter

imported post

Mike and John please move this if it's not in the right section, and wiegh in with your opinions on this idea.

I was thinking in light of the upcoming election, I don't think politicians really understand how many gunowners and/or gun right sympathizers there are in this country. I was thinking that if we could even get a 1/4 of even OCDO site, then maybe, just maybe they would start to understand just how deep this issue is.

Obviously everyone would have to be on extremely good behavior, because as much good as it could do, one bad apple could blow the whole thing, just wanted to see what everyone might think

Michigander

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
I was thinking in light of the upcoming election, I don't think politicians really understand how many gunowners and/or gun right sympathizers there are in this country.
Maybe they don't, but they should. When you look at the numbers, the gun owners very clearly cost the democrats the elections in 2000 and 2004. Not to mention screwing things up for the senate in 1996 after the clinton ban.

The problem with a nation wide meetup is what would we do there? Where would it be? People would have to fly in, and that makes things complicated, not to mention expensive. We'd need it to be in a gold star state.

I love the idea, but sadly, I don't see a sizeable nation wide meeting ever happening.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Didn't the Million Mommies deal with this by having a major meeting in DC but with video hookups with groups in other cities around the US?

Michigander

imported post

That could work pretty well! Have state wide meetups, and connect them by video. That would get national news attention for sure! I love it!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
Mike and John please move this if it's not in the right section, and wiegh in with your opinions on this idea.

I was thinking in light of the upcoming election, I don't think politicians really understand how many gunowners and/or gun right sympathizers there are in this country. I was thinking that if we could even get a 1/4 of even OCDO site, then maybe, just maybe they would start to understand just how deep this issue is.

Obviously everyone would have to be on extremely good behavior, because as much good as it could do, one bad apple could blow the whole thing, just wanted to see what everyone might think

The Gun Rights Policy Conference is between now and the election.

Takezo

imported post

This will never happen unless you get the NRA behind this--and Wayne (the lobbyist) Lapiere (sp?) on a streaming video, and on television, and in the NRA magazine shouting at the top of his lungs for gun owners to come hither.... but since Wayne is a big winnie on this issue I doubt you'll hear from him on this.

GOA is a different story, but you'd need Larry, Wayne and some other high profile faces behind it to make it happen.

We could call for a rally, but perhaps a thousand would show up, and the media would pick it apart for lack of support--

If a 100K or 300k people got together, then it would be a media event and make national news.

If 5 or 6 hundred people, allcarrying burners,went shopping every weekend in a major city--that would make news. This is easier to achive

Michigander

imported post

Who cares about the big organizations? People here know how to set up webcams, people here know how to contact the press, and people here know how to arrange meetings and bring food and things like that.

Wayne is a backstabbing punk, and we don't need his help. Open carry has grown leaps and bounds without the NRA or the more honorable GOA, and surely we don't need them to get together to promote our cause and have fun.

RIAShooter

imported post

I like the idea of having the individual state meetups and then having them all webcamed together that is actually do-able, and politicians would have to recognize that not 80% of our country wants guns banned like they claim

Takezo

imported post

Agreed that Wyane is a backstabbing punk... but he is alsoa media attention, back-stabbing punk. When he says something, the press reacts to it.

This movement is growing--it's a given fact. But the growth has leveled out momentarily after the spread of that Times Article (accidentally leaked out) a few months ago.

Now you have to build upon it. You either have to grab attention: by either taking some cops house/s in a civil rights suit/s, mass-meetings, mass marches, etc. All with or without the backstabbing punk.

Web-caming, and sending out press releases won't do it. An no, none of you really, trully know how to craft a press release, or how to handle the media--you are still living in the ages when you believe they cover news. Web-caming won't get you a thing.

You have to make news for the dopes to cover. Nowadays you have to grab their attention. Make them take notice.

I can go on and on, but have to take the dogs to dog park now. We'll continue this...

ST

Michigander

imported post

Takezo wrote:
Web-caming, and sending out press releases won't do it. An no, none of you really, trully know how to craft a press release, or how to handle the media--you are still living in the ages when you believe they cover news. Web-caming won't get you a thing.

Web cams would be for us to see each other, not for the news people.

Venator and WARCHILD have a radio show they do every 2 or 3 weeks.Michigan OCers havebeen in the news numerous times. OCDO has been featured on National news too. A full blown nation wide event would possibly be as far reaching as the nation wide morning news and national news papers. People here can and have got significant press attention.I just don't see it as an issue.

Takezo

imported post

You've got press, but it has leveled off mainly because the movement is growing, and the liberal press don't want it to build more. The more they cover it, the more it builds. You have to come up with something new for them to cover--or they won't coveryou orit.

If a cop/s and the city's police chief loose their homes in a civil suit, that they will cover. If 200 armed citizens decide to go shopping in a major downtown area all at once, that they will cover.

Yeah this movement has been getting press, but the level of press coverage has dropped off, and the level (quality--meaning major market type) has flattened.

You are getting coverage in local papers and small market of recent. The recent NPR interview was the exception, but I do not believe it was handled by the national NPR network.

I'm just looking at the media links on the main page--this tells me all.

There should be new stuff every week. Major new stuff. The press/media don't just come runnin' when you make a release--it has to cooincide with something.

Remember, the media/press is essentially entertainment, and that voracious beast has to be fed. It doesn't like being fed the same thing all the time either--you have to serve up new meals, and bigger and better meals.

I work in the film industry as a writer and understand this beast completely.

We've got to wag our dog more so to speak.

Now let's say we get Ted Nugent to OC at one of our barbacue parties!

Or both Ted and Larry Pratt to OC at an event of 1000 folks or more (city walk/shopping).

Or we get the back-stabbing punk to come aboard with all of the above....

Now that would get some more attention.

As for that guy in Virgina who passed out flyers in VA--bravo!

Mike and Johnwho started this thing can't do it all themselves. As Mikesaid to me in a recent email--he's treading water barely. They are both in law school and have lives and famlies.

Perhaps this Virginia guy should start an OC group by himself that is associated with the OC.org--perhaps some of you locals in VA should hook up together and go to gun shows, or set up tables at county fairs, or other public venues and publisize OC on your very own. If I were living on the east coast, I would be right there in the thick of it with you--but I'm 2400 miles away in the PRK.

This should actually start to happen in all the "action" states. You guys should start hooking up together into groups and start your own booths and publicity drives. It isn't that expensive. A few hundred hondos will get you a long, long way. Make up stuff to sell for donations--tee shirts, hats, etc. ...this will help cover the costs.

Just make sure the OC booths are within eye-shot of the NRA booths.

ST

jbone

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Didn't the Million Mommies deal with this by having a major meeting in DC but with video hookups with groups in other cities around the US?
"Million Gun March"

RIAShooter

imported post

well does anyone think that if we were to contact the NRAto have a meet at the same time on the same day in every state and could be linked up would they help? I'm not a member of the NRA, not for any particular reason, just don't see the point, but if members from each state started emailing them would they pay attention?

Alec411

imported post

ISN'TNRA CONVENTIONSOON IN PHOENIX, AROUND THE END OF SEPT?

WE COULD NOT RAISE A "MILLION GUN MARCH" IF THE CHINESE LANDED IN TOLEDO!

(OF COURSE, FACE-TO-FACE WITH WAYNE, ANDI RIGHT-HOOK DROP HIM!)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

This should actually start to happen in all the "action" states. You guys should start hooking up together into groups and start your own booths and publicity drives. It isn't that expensive. A few hundred hondos will get you a long, long way. Make up stuff to sell for donations--tee shirts, hats, etc. ...this will help cover the costs.

Here in Washington State we created a "Gun Rights Pamphlet" to pass out to the community. One of our very own Washington members (Trigger Dr) who is a retired federal agent & former Judge) attends the WAC (Washington Arms Collectors) gun shows on a monthly basis, hands out pamphlets and explains about Open Carry. We have monthly OC meets in various locations (some months multiple meets). We do silent auctions at our larger meets and use the money to have the pamphlets professionally printed.
I myself am working with members from Idaho and Oregon to get a Tri-State OC meet planned for next year. I would love to combine it with a National meet. My professional background is Broadcasting Digital Media. I have the capacity to handle lots of web traffic both live and on demand in Real and Windows media formats. I can also broadcast on demand in many other formats (QT, flash, mp3, etc.)