• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP age?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Ok well I was very certain that I needed to be 21 to apply for a CHP, but someone disputed that with me last night and told me it was 18. I am usually quick to back up my argument, but I can not find the code where it states the age. Could someone please post that for me if they find it? Thanks! I'm 99% sure it is 21. If it was 18 I would have already had one:lol:

Glock27Bill

imported post

Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
If it was 18 I would have already had one:lol:
so would I but its not so I just OC.

Funny though...I sent in my app. for my Maine permit using the same certificate and information that virginia requires. After my ME permit comes in I'll use that one to get a NH permit...and with that one at least I can carry both open and concealed in a vehicle and on foot when I travel to PA every year :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
snip......I sent in my app. for my Maine permit using the same certificate and information that virginia requires. After my ME permit comes in I'll use that one to get a NH permit...and with that one at least I can carry both open and concealed in a vehicle and on foot when I travel to PA every year :)
I am confused. Virginia and Pennsylvania already have recirprocity agreements in place so why go through this convoluted process? OTOH - I have more than one permit to cover as many bases as possible too. :)

In traveling to Pa. be aware (beware) of the laws of the People's Republic of Marylandski and of course The Districtstan of Columbia.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
snip......I sent in my app. for my Maine permit using the same certificate and information that virginia requires. After my ME permit comes in I'll use that one to get a NH permit...and with that one at least I can carry both open and concealed in a vehicle and on foot when I travel to PA every year :)
I am confused. Virginia and Pennsylvania already have recirprocity agreements in place so why go through this convoluted process? OTOH - I have more than one permit to cover as many bases as possible too. :)

In traveling to Pa. be aware (beware) of the laws of the People's Republic of Marylandski and of course The Districtstan of Columbia.

Yata hey

I am under 21 for the time being. However, Maine's age minimum is 18. Pennsylvania has Reciprocity with New Hampshire, and after I receive my Maine permit, I'll photocopy it and send in my application to NH. Then I can use the NH permit to carry in Pennsylvania. I checked though PA's websites regarding CCW and I couldn't find it say I must be 21 to carry, or have a permit from my home state, anywhere on their website. Actually I got this idea from a person who is 20, who's down in NC. He's using his NH permit to CC in his own home state since they have reciprocity. It got me thinking about that here in VA...in the last VCDL VA-Alert it said VA's working on getting reciprocity with Maine...hmmm...and I couldn't find anything in VA code that said that residents MUST have a resident permit to carry concealed in VA. However I'm still kinda iffy on doing this because while it may be legal by the books, I'm sure I could find some LEOs out there who would hassle me about it for one reason or another.

I'm definately going to get my VA resident permit the day I am able to.

VApatriot

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Funny though...I sent in my app. for my Maine permit using the same certificate and information that virginia requires. After my ME permit comes in I'll use that one to get a NH permit...and with that one at least I can carry both open and concealed in a vehicle and on foot when I travel to PA every year :)
I'm also waiting for my Maine permit. Tomorrow will be the 60th day since I sent in the application. I was told by another VCDL member that I should get the NH permit after I getthe one fromME because it is recognized by Virginia and would allow me to carry concealed herein the Commonwealth. When I went to double check that that was true, I found nothing thatsaid VA and NH have reciprocity. Can anyone either point me to something that does say this or explain how there couldbe a misunderstanding of the recognition?

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I'm also waiting for my Maine permit. Tomorrow will be the 60th day since I sent in the application. I was told by another VCDL member that I should get the NH permit after I getthe one fromME because it is recognized by Virginia and would allow me to carry concealed herein the Commonwealth. When I went to double check that that was true, I found nothing thatsaid VA and NH have reciprocity. Can anyone either point me to something that does say this or explain how there couldbe a misunderstanding of the recognition?

oops...see my post just above yours...:)

Shoot...so it actually does take them the full 60 days...I sent my app in last thursday and I was hoping it would come within a month so I could get my NH permit before traveling up to PA again this fall/winter :(

Forgot to add...NH and VA do not have Reciprocity at this time, but according to the most recent VA-ALERT I received by email, VA is working on getting reciprocity with Maine.

VApatriot

imported post

nova wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Shoot...so it actually does take them the full 60 days...I sent my app in last thursday and I was hoping it would come within a month so I could get my NH permit before traveling up to PA again this fall/winter :(

Forgot to add...NH and VA do not have Reciprocity at this time, but according to the most recent VA-ALERT I received by email, VA is working on getting reciprocity with Maine.

It said somewhere that it was about30 days for resident and 60 for non-residents.

Edit: I just re-read the part from thelast VA-Alert about possible reciprocity with Maine and South Carolina. I hope that it makes it through. . . and soon.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
nova wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

It said somewhere that it was about30 days for resident and 60 for non-residents.

Edit: I just re-read the part from thelast VA-Alert about possible reciprocity with Maine and South Carolina. I hope that it makes it through. . . and soon.
2. News you can use: Tennessee reciprocity is back on track

Virginia State Police official Tom Lambert informed us that after
Virginia was dropped from Tennessee's reciprocity list, we are now
back to recognizing each other's permit holders.

http://tinyurl.com/4xqr8d
and
http://tinyurl.com/3e95kr

We continue to work with the Virginia State Police and our
counterparts in the respective states on reciprocity with Maine and
South Carolina. Stay tuned.

nova

imported post

well f***. Looks like our plan is foiled. Complete BS, but 'its the law" :?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

scroll down to section "P".

"P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth,"

nova

imported post

Sure is!...and at least I can still put my Maine permit to good use too (by using it to get a NH permit...which will allow me to carry concealed in PA, and allow me to carry a firearm while in a vehicle).

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Well I guess we will have to go to Richmond next yearand get someone to put in a bill to reduce the CHP age to 18.
And then Virginia would lose reciprocity with Ohio, which it would not want to do and is the same reason I do not seek to reduce WV's minimum licensing age from 21 to 18.

nova

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
Well I guess we will have to go to Richmond next yearand get someone to put in a bill to reduce the CHP age to 18.
And then Virginia would lose reciprocity with Ohio, which it would not want to do and is the same reason I do not seek to reduce WV's minimum licensing age from 21 to 18.

Whatneeds to be done in my opinion, is to make the age for EVERYTHING (handguns, rifles, shotguns, carrying, all ammunition, etc.) either 18, or 21. Having some things at 18, and others at 21, is tiresome and in my opinion, pointless.

The current system is like being able to own a car but not drive it (as much as I hate to equate guns to cars, as driving is not a right).

VApatriot

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
With all do respect,not being able to carry concealed in states that I don't travel to very often doesn't really matter to mewhen I can't evencarry concealed in my home state yet. If Ohio and WV don't like the change, theycould either drop reciprocity with us all together or they could make sure their laws are the way Virginia's are now and requirethat those with out-of-state permits to still be at least 21. If reciprocity did get dropped all together, I'm sure that those who dotravel would be able to get other non-resident permits that will cover the states they will be visiting.

nova

imported post

I must say it is quite ironic I have more 'rights' in another state than I have in my home state.

BUT WE HAVE OC!!!:celebrate

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
With all do respect,not being able to carry concealed in states that I don't travel to very often doesn't really matter to mewhen I can't evencarry concealed in my home state yet. If Ohio and WV don't like the change, theycould either drop reciprocity with us all together or they could make sure their laws are the way Virginia's are now and requirethat those with out-of-state permits to still be at least 21. If reciprocity did get dropped all together, I'm sure that those who dotravel would be able to get other non-resident permits that will cover the states they will be visiting.
Clarification: West Virginia's reciprocity law, W.Va. Code § 61-7-6a, does not require a state to have a 21-year-old minimum licensing age, but it does deny recognition to licenses held by individuals under 21. We have reciprocity with South Dakota, whose minimum licensing age is 18, but we only recognize permits issued to South Dakota residents who are at least 21 years of age, similar to what Virginia's law provides.

There are only a few states (I believe the complete list is Kansas, Nevada, Ohio, and Washington) that outright deny reciprocity or recognition based on a state's minimum licensing age. Some address this issue by having provisions similar to those in Virginia and West Virginia that merely deny recognition to individuals under that state's own minimum licensing age; others are silent on the age issue and do not deny recognition to 18-year-olds, even if their own minimum licensing age is 21.