• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pruning Threads?

azebolsky

imported post

Is there a moderator or person who can go into the Open Carry Experiences thread and prune out all of the back and forth? I go in there to try to read up on where people are, where they're carrying, and so forth, but TBH wading through the opinions, rebuttals, re-rebuttals, factually stated opinions, opinionated facts, and general reparte is getting to be quite time-consuming and in all honesty, annoying. I have found myself coming to the forums less and less simply because I can't find what I need to find in a timely fashion. Maybe it's just me though. If we could get a prune, even on that one single thread, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, before I hop off my soap box, please remember, everyone, that the general public DOES come here to look, the media comes here to gather information, and public safety departments do check us out as well. It doesn't help if we all bicker over things like purple shirts, the definition of "is", etc.

Done, anybody else need the box before I toss it in the burn bin?

*S*

SQLtables

imported post

I agree with the experience thread being too cluttered. It's really too bad that WE got off topic so much in there, myself included.

As far as the public, media, etc, coming to this forum... we can't let that stop us from having discussions and even debates on certain topics. Even we, as a somewhat tight group, are entitled to disagree on things. Even things that are related to OC and 2A.

In general though, I wish we could stay on topic in threads... we need more moderation, but, oh well...

WARCHILD

imported post

Done, anybody else need the box before I toss it in the burn bin?

Don't do that. I was wondering where I left that thing. I may need it soon. BTW: I totally agree with your assesment.

Michigander

imported post

This site does need more moderation. I think that what it will sooner or later come down to is that the moderators will have a secret set of rules that they adhere to, while using sock puppets to say what's on their minds, just like with other big forums. Although, honesty and integrity play a large roll in the conduct of most here on this site, so maybe that wouldn't work.

People may yap a lot in that thread, but I think that kind of thread is more of a whatcha doin thread. It's not there to be read front to back, it's more of something that you check periodically, and perhaps skim at times.

azebolsky

imported post

No offense is meant to you Michigander, but to be honest, you can create a thread for yapping. The Open Carry Experience thread was created so that people could look at what stores were friendly, and what were not, without delving into legal debate, shirt colors, Barney, and how many relevant posts are made by any 1 particular person. This thread alone could be turned into a "Whatcha doin buddy?" thread just as easily as one could be created by Venator, or even you for that matter. The "Michigan Open Carry Info" thread has not become a breeding ground for opinion, and I feel that the "Open Carry Experiences" thread has just as much importance as that thread. It's a factual based thread, where people can go "Hm, ok." Then another topic can be created concerning the particular business, or even the city itself to see if anyone else has had problems/concerns/good things with that locale.

I'm not saying opinions are wrong, I'm saying there's a time and place for opinions. When someone says they were asked to leave from Home Depot, I would like to know which one, when, and where it happened, so that if I go to Battle Creek, Jackson, or finally do move in with my girlfriend in Portage, I'll not be hassled with the rhetoric of a counter-jockey who doesn't know 3/4" OSB from solid mahogany spouting about how his store made firearms illegal.

To everything there is a season, a time for yapping, and a time for facting. Let us use discretion on topics where the potential exists to hijack someones well meant thread?

*S*

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I agree that the thread could be cleaned up. I have asked Mike the co-founder if this is possible. I also asked to be a moderator, I've asked before with no response, so we shall see.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mike responded, no pruning. I guess we could have the posters go through and just delete, their frivolous posts on an individual basis. That may help with skimming through the posts.

SQLtables

imported post

azebolsky wrote:
No offense is meant to you Michigander, but to be honest, you can create a thread for yapping. The Open Carry Experience thread was created so that people could look at what stores were friendly, and what were not, without delving into legal debate, shirt colors, Barney, and how many relevant posts are made by any 1 particular person. This thread alone could be turned into a "Whatcha doin buddy?" thread just as easily as one could be created by Venator, or even you for that matter. The "Michigan Open Carry Info" thread has not become a breeding ground for opinion, and I feel that the "Open Carry Experiences" thread has just as much importance as that thread. It's a factual based thread, where people can go "Hm, ok." Then another topic can be created concerning the particular business, or even the city itself to see if anyone else has had problems/concerns/good things with that locale.

I'm not saying opinions are wrong, I'm saying there's a time and place for opinions. When someone says they were asked to leave from Home Depot, I would like to know which one, when, and where it happened, so that if I go to Battle Creek, Jackson, or finally do move in with my girlfriend in Portage, I'll not be hassled with the rhetoric of a counter-jockey who doesn't know 3/4" OSB from solid mahogany spouting about how his store made firearms illegal.

To everything there is a season, a time for yapping, and a time for facting. Let us use discretion on topics where the potential exists to hijack someones well meant thread?

*S*
You're post here looks like the justification for MODERATORS. There's no way you're going to keep a multi-page thread on topic. It just won't happen. That's why this forum needs moderators, but I guess some people think it's better this way... I strongly disagree...

azebolsky

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
azebolsky wrote:

*S*
You're post here looks like the justification for MODERATORS. There's no way you're going to keep a multi-page thread on topic. It just won't happen. That's why this forum needs moderators, but I guess some people think it's better this way... I strongly disagree...
^ Agreed. Moderation is always nice, however from what I've read, some moderators are worse than regular members, and I can understand this. Coming from a rather large private BB where I moderated I know the headaches that can be caused by a pruning/slip of the tongue/etc.

Mike, I can see and understand where you're coming from, and will do my personal best to keep individual threads from being cluttered with my own off-topic posts.

Again, Mike and anyone else that moderates, thank you for your tireless efforts at this board, and keeping things straight and calm. Hats off to you gentlemen.

*S*