• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hurricane Gustav

Lykosis

imported post

Well, since Mother Nature has decided to sling a hurricane our way, I was wondering what everyone in the potentially affected areas was doing about it? Stocking up on supplies and ammo? Boarding up? Evacuating?

Personally, I'm sitting tight, boarding up, and stocking up.

How would you address OCing during such a state of emergency?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Michigander wrote:
no carry permit ? wrote:
I wonder if the dumb ass police chief will try another gun collection.
Didn't they pass a state law against that some time after Katrina?
Yeah they did...as did many states.....IIRC, Bush signed something similar on the fed level too.

RedRuger

imported post

I am also in south Slidell and am doing the following:

Watching the storm track and waiting till later to decide whether to leave.
Getting my long guns ready to leave with a friend on higher ground
Using a food-saver to shrink-wrap my handguns; will leave most with a friend
Putting my ammo and primers in contractors trash bags and setting them as high as possible.
Will leave empty safes open if I leave
Trash bagging food in freezer to protect freezer in event of power outage
Important papers put into food-saver bags
Had three feet of water in Katrina. Trying to set everything I can above that level.
Bought several 40 gallon wheeled rubbermaid bins to store stuff in house and truck

sraacke

imported post

I'm just south of Baton Rouge. I'm in a manufactured home and have trees on my east side. There's little doubt that at least one of those trees will come down on my home during the tropical storm winds. My guns are in my car. We are crating the pets and will drive into Baton Rouge tonight around midnight to shelter at my work site. I'm not scheduled to work until Wednesday night but I told my supervisor to expect me and if he wants me to clock in I will be glad to. As long as my wife and the pets can shelter there I'm happy. I just hope I have a home to return to. Wish me luck.

imported post

Openly carrying, I went down to the location in Gonzales to fill sandbags for my daughter's home. Right there, surrounded by all sorts of sheriff's vehicles, mobile HQ trailers, cops, firemen, my daughter and I got our fill of sandbags. Not a word was said about my weapon.
The wife and I visited several businesses to stock up on supplies, armed. Not a peep out of anyone.

whoopingllama

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The wife and I visited several businesses to stock up on supplies, armed. Not a peep out of anyone.
That's how it should be. Unfortunately for me, sort of, the other day my dad and I stopped for lunch at IHOP on our way home from Alexandria and I was carrying my Walther P22. I was working, so it's lighter and easier to move around with. Anyway, while my dad was at the register paying, an E.M.S. guy walked really close to me to get a better look at what I had, and said into my ear, "You should get a gun. That ain't nothin' but a rabbit-gun." I kind of felt insulted. It was all in good fun. But still, I mean, I felt like he had made of the size of my, um, "member." Hahaha

But, anyways here's hoping that we all make it through this storm with an absolute minimal amount of damage to deal with.

CaptainFinn

imported post

I was on ARFCOM (AR15.com) not ten minutes ago and they had screen caps posted from CNN...the police in New Orleans are confiscating any 'unregistered' guns and ammunition from the citizens of Louisiana. There were stills from CNN of police officers taking handguns from anyone attempting to leave the city.

Although it cannot be confirmed, one forum member said that the police 'would not return any firearms without proof of ownership'.

Lykosis

imported post

I'm glad that everyone is getting prepared/ is already prepared.

CaptainFinn - please provide links to the news articles/forum threads so that we may confirm confiscation is again taking place.

GJD

imported post

Stay safe guys. I've got family in Metairie, New Orleans, Covington, and Slidell. Some are packing heat and trying to hunker down.

CaptainFinn

imported post

Lykosis wrote:
I'm glad that everyone is getting prepared/ is already prepared.

CaptainFinn - please provide links to the news articles/forum threads so that we may confirm confiscation is again taking place.

100_0480.jpg

The ARFCOM thread has, since my original post, morphed into a bunch of people arguing over wheither a bullet fired in an airplane will cause it to crash a la Goldfinger. I'm not sure what that has to do with confiscating firearms from evacuating New Orleans Refugees, but that's what's there. Feel free to sortthrough the chaff for more info.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=750979&page=1

Yrdawg

imported post

LOL.......sittn home so I don't get looted

I live kinda in the woods, well..way in the woods, haven't heard a man made sound in 2 days

If I wasn't here no one would be here, I hate storms, I hate getting looted more than I hate storms

Maybe some of these thousands of JBT's that are supposed to be keeping the parish safe in a mandatory evac could bring me some beer ( Lite if your listinin Jack )

HaHa....no word from FEMA on free shit yet, bet they better get up on it or there won't be an evacuee on a buss next storm

No wide screens....no bling.........hahaha.........no buss ride for me mistah

Shame on Dawg :celebrate

sraacke

imported post

Our home is safe. Trees down everywhere and no power but our home has very little damage. I'm at work. gotta go. more later. oh....F**K New Orleans gun grabbers. I don'tknow where any of my receipts are and i'll never willingly be deprived of my property like that.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm working the storm. See my post for a conflict with 2 NOPD.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/15659.html

My well rehearsed line, should NOPD ever try to pull the (not legal) "You need a receipt" confiscation crap is:

"Yes, this is my Springfield XD, serial number (XXXX), purchased from Jim's Firearms in Baton Rouge, La, in September of 2005, and yes, I have a receipt."

I haven't needed to use it yet (and hope I never will).

Dustin

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I'm working the storm. See my post for a conflict with 2 NOPD.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/15659.html

My well rehearsed line, should NOPD ever try to pull the (not legal) "You need a receipt" confiscation crap is:

"Yes, this is my Springfield XD, serial number (XXXX), purchased from Jim's Firearms in Baton Rouge, La, in September of 2005, and yes, I have a receipt."

I haven't needed to use it yet (and hope I never will).

Well I didn't create a one liner yet, but I had a small issue as well. Below is what happen.

Good job Bro,

I too had a similar incident.

In Dry Creek, LA I rolled up on my Father-in-Laws, Kawasaki MULE at the Gas Station to get some ICE. There were Two Sheriff SUV's(1 was Narcotics)with 5 LEO's total standing near it. (It's behind the store) I guess they were filling up their ICE chest as well b/c they have to patrol during the storm until it hits.

Now I wasn't beingtoo discreet either. I was wearinga Blue T-Shirt untucked/ Tan Polo Cargo shorts/ &Flip Flops, with myXDM Bi-Tone ina Chest Holster. LOL !

One of the LEO'sI know, b/c he's dating the Store owner's Daughter. I plan to say hi to him while grabbing my ice. With me on the Mule was my Wife's Uncle. FBI Taskforce Agent of 26 YEARS of LE Service to Lake Charles.

Just as soon as I step off the MULE I hear it;

LEO - What are you doing riding around with a Pistol strapped to you ?!?

(At this point I almost burst into laughter with the amount of jokes I could have made fromthis oneignorant statement.) ;)

Before I could answer, another LEO said; Yea, What you plan on shooting someone for some ICE ?

At this point I'm frustrated that my TAX dollars are not being spent correctly b/c these Officers are ignorant and/or screwing around behind a store instead of preparing the city for Disaster.

My Uncle was smooth and never said a word, just grabbed the ICE and handed the bags to me. About 5 seconds had passed of us completely ignoring them, and just when their paticence was about to break I said,

No Sir, not unless someone threatens my life or the life of my family.

Before he could respond, I was on the MULE driving off, as one made a couple steps towards me. Not sure if he wanted to talk, but I wasn't waiting around.

My Wife's Uncle later said, he thought I did good, then laughed himself at their ignorance. He said he might would have to make a call to Beaureguards Sheriff about the incompetence of his officers. (My Grandfather-N-Law is also the Chief of Warrants for LC)I told him I would sure appreciate that.

Then an LEO(The Uncle)impressed me. He went on to express his disgust for ignorant LEO's and how the Academies now days are weak and do not teach the same fundamentals that he learned when he went thru.

He went on to say that the role of LE has changed, b/c of politics and soft parents. Then he dropped the bombshell and said;

Habeous Corpus has been burned and lost;

Everyone is now guilty until proven innocent;

& Cops are too busy worrying about citizens doing the right thing, instead of those who chose to do the wrong things, which all falls back to IGNORANCE to the very Law they swear to protect.

I could not believe my ears guys, but I just nodded and said, well I bet you don't get along with too many at the office do ya ? He laughed and said nope, sure don't.

And that's all I have to say about that .......