• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Safe

Harvdog

imported post

I am starting to shop for a gun safe and would like to get some help. I would like a safe that has some fire rated protection and can hold at least 8-10 long guns, as well as, 5 or 6 handguns and ammunition. The exterior does not have to be a pretty grossy finish as I will be storing it in the garage. What brands do you suggestion? Should I considering ordering online or is there some places local I should check?

Thanks in advance.

LEO 229

imported post

Get a Fort Knox!!

If you want one... I will dig up the name of the company I ordered mine from. They were the cheapest from all around and inside delivery was less than curb side delivery!

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Get a Fort Knox!!

If you want one... I will dig up the name of the company I ordered mine from. They were the cheapest from all around and inside delivery was less than curb side delivery!
I'll take it as well.

67GT390FB

imported post

call me paranoid if you want but unless you want the delivery folks to know you have a lot of firearms or other valuables along withwhere you live, get some friends you trust, go to the store pick it upand deliver it yourself. particularily since it will be going in a garage you'll only need a hand truck. which by the way means get some hilti bolts either epoxy or expansion, from lowes home depot and bolt the safe to the floor of the garage. you may think its heavy but a garage is very easy for someone to break into back a truck/van into and load a safe in and drive away to be cut open at a time and place of the thiefs choosing. i also like the safes with the mechanical combo dial instead of a electronic touch pad you'd hate for the battery to be dead when you really need it.

LEO 229

imported post

The guys that delivered mine were from out-of-state and do it for work. They have no time for bad stuff.

And I do not trust my friends to move 1,800 pounds into my front door!

It the movers wanted to break in and burg my house... they are long over due... it has been 4 years now.

Friends can scratch the paint and will not pay to have it shipped back for repair. The movers will.

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The guys that delivered mine were from out-of-state and do it for work. They have no time for bad stuff.really you ran a ncic check on them:lol:

And I do not trust my friends to move 1,800 pounds into my front door!need better/bigger friends:lol:

It the movers wanted to break in and burg my house... they are long over due... it has been 4 years now.guess i did tell you to call me paranoid.

Friends can scratch the paint and will not pay to have it shipped back for repair. The movers will.
i'll agree to a point if i'm having a large safe put in the upstairs back bedroom that's what professional movers are for. if its going in my garage with a minimum 8' door anybodies friends are adequate particularily since the garage is where this guy said he wants to put the safe and he only wants a small safe to hold 10 long guns and 10 handguns so more like 700 pounds which is why i suggested bolting it to the floor.:lol:to each his own.:lol:

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
call me paranoid if you want but unless you want the delivery folks to know you have a lot of firearms or other valuables along withwhere you live, get some friends you trust, go to the store pick it upand deliver it yourself. particularily since it will be going in a garage you'll only need a hand truck. which by the way means get some hilti bolts either epoxy or expansion, from lowes home depot and bolt the safe to the floor of the garage. you may think its heavy but a garage is very easy for someone to break into back a truck/van into and load a safe in and drive away to be cut open at a time and place of the thiefs choosing. i also like the safes with the mechanical combo dial instead of a electronic touch pad you'd hate for the battery to be dead when you really need it.

Screw the bolts...just put a bunch of bags of lead shot in the bottom. :celebrate

67GT390FB

imported post

pourshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Screw the bolts...just put a bunch of bags of lead shot in the bottom. :celebrate
i hope you are joking. you'd be amazed at how much weight one man can move with a good hand truck. a small safe like the one the OP is looking for would be no problem for one guy to slide the truck under and roll around even if it were loaded down. but to each his own:monkey

kenny

imported post

I purchased mine from Lowe's and it is bolted to the floor with two steel plates for reinforcement, one in concrete plus additional weight. At a minimum you would need a crane and blow torch. Then again a couple of well place sticks of dynamite might work too but the contents would be ruined.

Infidel

imported post

What other manufacturers have handgun safes? I'm looking for a silm unit to mount under the back seat of my truck. I have already looked at Amsec from this thread, just looking for price comparisons.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
pourshot wrote:
i hope you are joking. you'd be amazed at how much weight one man can move with a good hand truck. a small safe like the one the OP is looking for would be no problem for one guy to slide the truck under and roll around even if it were loaded down. but to each his own:monkey
Nope. Considering the size of the bolt holes on some I have seen I would not think they are adding much to the security of the safe. Where as the weight stays with the safe. I have moved mine around several times with a hand truck empty. I cannot tilt them full. I think the small ones are really just a target. Especially the stack-ons by Sentry. You are better off filling one of those 1/4 way with lead shot and then just hide your guns elsewhere. They have little theft and no fire protection.

67GT390FB

imported post

pourshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
pourshot wrote:
Nope. Considering the size of the bolt holes on some I have seen I would not think they are adding much to the security of the safe. Where as the weight stays with the safe. I have moved mine around several times with a hand truck empty. I cannot tilt them full. I think the small ones are really just a target. Especially the stack-ons by Sentry. You are better off filling one of those 1/4 way with lead shot and then just hide your guns elsewhere. They have little theft and no fire protection.

just a few quick notes on anchor strength. the allowable tension loads on one 1/4"diameter hilti expansion anchor with a 2" embedment in 2000psi concrete is 595# your typical residential garage slab is 3000psi concrete 4" thick. when you go up to 3000 psi concrete the same anchor has an allowable tension load of 675#. this means by code i am allowed to calculate that the anchor will pull pull out when 595 or 675# of force is applied to it. this means that 4 itty bitty 1/4 diameter achors have now added approx 2400# plus the weight of the safe to the effort needed to lift the safe.

if you can get a single 3/8 anchor in their with a 2.5" embed you get a tension rating of 1120# for 2000psi conc and a 1340# for 3000psi conc. so 4 anchors would get you 4480#'s of resistance.

those are allowable loads which have safety factors built in. when iuse ultimate/failure loads 1/4" anchors are good for 2375# each in tension in worst case 2000psi conc and 3/8" aregood for 4720# each.

shear loads the load that would cause the bolt to break across its cross section are 400# and 1345# respectively for allowable loads and 2530# and 6210# respectively for ultimate loads in 2000psi concrete.

again to each his own but if you want your safe to stay put anchor it. even lag screws into wall studs or floor joists will prevent the tipping necessary to get a hand truck under it. theres always someone bigger or stronger just because you can't tip it doesn't mean Bubba can't or cant use a lever and fulcrum while bubba2 slides the truck under it.

Forty-five

imported post

pourshot wrote:
Forty-five wrote:
Is the garage the best location? I guess it is better than a basement due to the humidity.
Nothing a dehumidifier cannot take care of......
Which do you think would be better for a basement safe, one of those wands that goes in the safe that emit warm dry air, or an external standalone dehumidifier. Any advice would be appreciated.