• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Safe

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Forty-five wrote:
Which do you think would be better for a basement safe, one of those wands that goes in the safe that emit warm dry air, or an external standalone dehumidifier. Any advice would be appreciated.
Use both. The sticks are cheap. Just have a place you can drain the dehumidifier to as they can fill quickly.

Forty-five

imported post

pourshot wrote:
Forty-five wrote:
Which do you think would be better for a basement safe, one of those wands that goes in the safe that emit warm dry air, or an external standalone dehumidifier. Any advice would be appreciated.
Use both. The sticks are cheap. Just have a place you can drain the dehumidifier to as they can fill quickly.
Thanks, sounds good. My basement has one of those drains in the floor. I imagine that it would fill quickly, particularly in the summer months. By "it" I mean the dehumidifier tub, not my drain.

67GT390FB

imported post

pourshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
just a few quick notes on anchor strength.......
And what kind of torque are you placing on the lag bolt and fender washer as you tilt the safe?

actuallyyou aren't.torque is a rotational force and the tilting of the safe would either be shearing the bolt or pulling it out(uplift or tension) you could apply torque to the safe but it would translate to the anchor as shear or tension.you'd be putting a torque load on the lag bolt as you are installing it not afterwards until you were removing it to move your safe.

hey if you don't want to bolt your safe down don't. i was simply addressing the relative strength of those little itty bitty anchors, and their ability to keep your belongings where they belong.

nemo

imported post

Harvdog wrote:
I am starting to shop for a gun safe and would like to get some help.

Back when I was looking for one, I determined that Browning, Fort Knox, and Liberty were at the top. I have since run into severe cash flow problems, but that's another story. :cry:

If you google around, you will be able to find where all safes are rated for fire, etc., and you can make your own choice.

nemo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Why Liberty?? :D

Don't get technical on me. I keep the results of such searching, not the grunt work that determined it. I couldn't even tell you, now, where I found those places that compare safes (it was a while ago), though I recall that at least one magazine article was included, and I sure DON'T keep those.

If you don't like liberty, just wait a while: a police state is coming! :shock:

Oh. You were talking about something else? :lol:

Marco

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229,
Hey, where's the simpsons character? You've gone all dark and spooky on us.... :^).
Shhh..
He'sICN.:lol:
[line]
model60.jpg

Cannon model 60.
@ 1450lbs no need for lead shot for added weight.

The lead shot thing is great if you plan on moving the safes alot or in the near future.

Or you could just spend the money on ammo and keep the safe loaded and reload it as needed.

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Hey, where's the simpsons character? You've gone all dark and spooky on us.... :^).
I am back with a new "image" and way of thinking.... :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

NavyBlue99TA wrote:
Definitely check out Utah Safe Outlet! The only problem is that the delivery people they use will only drop it off curbside or in your garage if you're really nice to the driver. You'll definitely need some help moving it, but I couldn't find any better prices anywhere.

http://www.utahsafe.com/index.html
Order from a company that will give you inside delivery. It is not much more and worth it. Balance price and delivery as a unit.

They know what they are doing and are responsible if they damage the paint.

My friends helped me with my first and the paint was damaged.

NavyBlue99TA

imported post

Perhaps it wasn't as much of an issue for me since I was just putting the safe in the garage anyway, but the prices are thousands less than what I was expecting to pay. You could probably hire a moving company to move it from the curband still save some $$. :D

Harvdog

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Why Liberty?? :D

I liked the 3-in-1 flex inside option which I'm sure other safes offer but I also found the Centurion 20 for
$771.00 (on their website). Unfortunately, when I called to confirm the pricing, they claimed that this was an old site and now the price for that same safe is just over a grand. This place is also close enough for me to pick up the safe myself and haul it home in my Ram. I may still go this route but I'm still shopping since the prices are about the same now.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
NavyBlue99TA wrote:
Definitely check out Utah Safe Outlet! The only problem is that the delivery people they use will only drop it off curbside or in your garage if you're really nice to the driver. You'll definitely need some help moving it, but I couldn't find any better prices anywhere.

http://www.utahsafe.com/index.html
Order from a company that will give you inside delivery. It is not much more and worth it. Balance price and delivery as a unit.

They know what they are doing and are responsible if they damage the paint.

My friends helped me with my first and the paint was damaged.
LEO, just use your fork lift!! Pffft, so simple..... No need to pay for expensive "inside" delivery. :p