• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new 2 open carry

Moooose102

imported post

hi, i was referd to this site by a couple of members of THR website. they informed me that i could open carry, which i had thought was not legal here in michigan, mostly because of 2 reasons. 1) NOBODY i have ever seen open carry's (except L.E.O.'s. and 2) when i picked up my cpl (ccw) permit, the sherrif deputy informed me that doing this constituted brandishing, and i coule eventually end up losing my cpl if i did this under the right circumstances. so i have just been carrying concealed. actually, the only reason i got a cpl in the first place was because i thought it was illegal to open carry. now that i have my cpl, i am happy i do have it. anyway, back to open carry. i have a couple of questions about doing this. i see that there are organized events, and that is fine, i wouldnt expect to be hassled by leos there. but what type of problems can i expect if i open carry when i am alone, just doing my thing. shopping, traveling, normal everyday stuff. second, i think i read someplace that wal-mart is not a place to open carry, i think i read they will call the cops. does anybody know if this is true? 3) what about gas stations, etc.? thanks, d.s.

David.Car

imported post

You will want to refer this question to the Michigan portion of the forums. They will have the most knowledge regarding your states laws.

Welcome.

05 chopper

imported post

Life could be simple if we didn't have to remember all the laws for each state on oc.Then we also have to remember the city and county laws too.The states as far as I'm concerned need to be all on the same page ! The second amendment should be all i need to know.I'm for oc but idon'tlike the politics from state to state.I'm sure glad our state is going in the right direction

rmodel65

imported post

i oc into wally world(brunswick,ga) nearly 2-3 times a week, never a problem in my town. i was asked to conceal in another city(statesboro, ga) but not asked to leave. they also said they understood it was my right to oc but they would prefer it CC

RayBurton72

imported post

Brandishing usually requires that you use, touch, reveal your firearm ina threatening or intimidating fashion.

In North Carolina, simply sweeping your cover garment aside to reveal the presence of a concealed weapon is "brandishing" if done to threaten or intimidate someone (even a BG). Having a weapon in its holster openly, is not brandishing.

That is why I OC at some of my rental proeprties in ugly neighborhoods - the thugs can see that I am armed and probably not worth their time.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
i oc into wally world(brunswick,ga) nearly 2-3 times a week, never a problem in my town. i was asked to conceal in another city(statesboro, ga) but not asked to leave. they also said they understood it was my right to oc but they would prefer it CC
I would have told them to go pound sand! I would not cow to some pinko's 'opinion' that my firearm be concealed... (it's too big for that anyway). Concealed requires a PERMIT... PERMISSION.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

David.Car wrote:
You will want to refer this question to the Michigan portion of the forums. They will have the most knowledge regarding your states laws.

Welcome.
I concur. You need to check with the Michigan forum as the laws on brandishing vary from state to state. Here in Washington, though, it has been determined that simply wearing a holstered firearm is NOT considered brandishing.

Having read several threads on the MI forum. I believe the LEO in question is full of shyte.

David.Car

imported post

Bookman wrote:
David.Car wrote:

Welcome.
I concur. You need to check with the Michigan forum as the laws on brandishing vary from state to state. Here in Washington, though, it has been determined that simply wearing a holstered firearm is NOT considered brandishing.

Having read several threads on the MI forum. I believe the LEO in question is full of shyte.
Close. In WA it isn't "brandishing" you have to worry about. It is the poor wording for OC of a weapon with the "warrants alarm" that gets people confused.

It was WA State vs Cassad that decided that there needed to be an action performed that would cause alarm in a logical sane person. Hence you need to play with the firearm, or draw it, or point to it to use it as a intimidation factor...

rmodel65

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
I would have told them to go pound sand! I would not cow to some pinko's 'opinion' that my firearm be concealed... (it's too big for that anyway). Concealed requires a PERMIT... PERMISSION.

in ga you have to have a permit to OC as we are not a traditional open carry state.