Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Intruder Drill at school

Post imported post

I don't know what to say.

Text highlighted was the newspaper edit not my own emphasis. Some of the comments on the paper's web site were pretty good.

DocV

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/toda...leaves_ph.html

A group of elementary teachers gathered for a workshop at Phillipsburg Early Childhood Learning Center got a shock Friday when a gunman burst into the facility library.

The man, yelling obscenities, squeezed off several shots, prompting those present to run for cover and pray for their lives.

They found out later that the gunman was an actor and the shots fired were blanks, both part of a "hostile intruder drill" organized by the Phillipsburg School District and police department.

"The only reason it was not the scariest day of my life was because it wasn't real," said a teacher, who requested anonymity for fear of reprisal.
    Acting Superintendent George Chando said teachers performed well during the drill.

The teachers had been trained how to react in such a circumstance and used what they learned effectively during the exercise, Chando said.

"It was done as a means of assessing the security readiness," he said. "I cannot give the teachers enough credit."
    Town police Chief Edward Mirenda also praised teachers' performance, saying, "Teachers did a great job and reacted as they were trained."
    Teachers weren't as pleased with how the drill turned out.

One said, "If I was told it was drill, I would still have followed protocol.Why did we have to think that it was the end of our lives

Post imported post

Joe Schmedlap... (Librarian) was unaware of any drill, drew his privately owned .454 Casulhandgun and shot the intruder (actor) dead. :what:

When informed by authorities that this had only beena drill... Schmedlap said: "So?":shock:

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Joe Schmedlap... (Librarian) was unaware of any drill, drew his privately owned .454 Casulhandgun and shot the intruder (actor) dead. :what:

When informed by authorities that this had only beena drill... Schmedlap said:maybe next time you'll tell somebody"

fixed.

good thing that I hadn't been at this place, If I had been, at best the "intruder" would havebeen drugaway with serious knife wounds. at worst, serious gunshot wounds.

Post imported post

Schools are terrible about planning for a shooting. The only way to conter a shooting is to shoot back. Not hide behind a door which can easily be kicked in and turn the lights out. And it sure as hell won't help anything to have some moron fire blanks off.

I do wonder how many more people must die before the fallacy of gun free zones is done away with.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Schools are terrible about planning for a shooting. The only way to conter a shooting is to shoot back. Not hide behind a door which can easily be kicked in and turn the lights out. And it sure as hell won't help anything to have some moron fire blanks off.

I do wonder how many more people must die before the fallacy of gun free zones is done away with.
    sadly, many.

Post imported post

Town police Chief Edward Mirenda also praised teachers' performance, saying, "Teachers did a great job and reacted as they were trained."
    I'm betting that their training consisted of cowering behind something while the intruder does whatever he wants. Another chapter in security theater.

Post imported post

I figure the only effect of that execise was to traumatize a whole bunch'a kids... and teachers against guns. What other outcome could there be? Now... if the teacheres were armed with blanks... 'could'a produced a different outcome. This is another example of enforced 'victimhood' for the sheep. I think if I'd been one of the parents... I'd sue their asses off.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If this had taken place in my kid's school, I'd be stacking the furniture in the administrator's office. Will these teachers receive counseling for post traumatic stress? There was nothing simulated about that. They actually believed they would die that day. So now they are supposed to go right back to teaching as if nothing had happened to them.

This is insane.

If this exercise does not show unequivocally what sitting ducks students and teachers in Gun Free Zones are, what will? These school administrators absolutely proved this point. How can they believe otherwise.

Post imported post

Who agrees to be a Scary Intruder Actor? That seems like a quick way to get violently taken out by someone who believes that you pose imminent bodily harm to them and others!

Post imported post

Wow, that's just moronic. Did it not occur to these idiots that some people might just be carrying a weapon for self defense, albeit illegally? This could have turned out really, really badly.

Not to mention those poor kids are probably traumatized for the rest of their lives. Is the school board going to pay for their lifetime of therapy?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
    Wow, that's just moronic. Did it not occur to these idiots that some people might just be carrying a weapon for self defense, albeit illegally? This could have turned out really, really badly.

Not to mention those poor kids are probably traumatized for the rest of their lives. Is the school board going to pay for their lifetime of therapy?
    I believe this was a group of teachers gathered for a workshop... no students present. At least that's how I read it.

I completely agree with you that the "actor" took his life in his own hands. Can you imagine if someone had moved to cover and opened fire to stop the threat. SURPRISE!!! We're not all victims here!

Post imported post

It says the assho-..... actor was firing blanks.

Didn't someone really famous get killed by blanks a few years ago?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
    I'm betting that their training consisted of cowering behind something while the intruder does whatever he wants.* Another chapter in security theater.
    +1

Post imported post

just another reason why my children will not be attending government school

Post imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
    Who agrees to be a Scary Intruder Actor?
    One of the morons who thought something like this would be a good idea.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Yea, I just don't see these going well. Imagine the aftermath should one of the teachers be an ex-Marine pocket carrying a kabar or other knife. Don't bring a fake gun to a knife fight! As others have said, if a teacher were keeping a gun despite school policy.

Post imported post

I have the feeling there's an awful lot of information the newspaper is leaving out, in regards to this drill. But, then again, newspapers don't cover much "news" anymore, just sensesationalism that seems to sell more papers these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

I hate it when they use the term GOVERNMENT school to demonize public schools. remember folks they are our schools run by elected school boards. I do think that most need to be taken back but we can vote out the jerks that make the poor decisions that are ruining the schools. If not vote out the jerks attend the school board meetings and make them know how you feel. We do not get the government we want but what we deserve.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:

Jon-Erik Hexum killed himself accidentally on the set of Cover Up in 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

There may have been others.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Post imported post

thnycav wrote:
    I hate it when they use the term GOVERNMENT school to demonize public schools. remember folks they are our schools run by elected school boards. I do think that most need to be taken back but we can vote out the jerks that make the poor decisions that are ruining the schools. If not vote out the jerks attend the school board meetings and make them know how you feel. We do not get the government we want but what we deserve.
    My wife was telling me about a new fourth grade student at her school that had been home schooled for the last three years. This is the exception rather than the rule as the state required the mother to place him in public shool this year. It seems that although a 4th grader with a normal intelligence he cannot count to 100 or write his name. I have known many student do great being home-schooled but I have also known some where the parents were unable to teach them past about the fourth grade. The biggest problem with "Government" schools is most parents think of them as a baby-sitting service that doesn't need any help from the parents.

Post imported post

cccook wrote:
    I completely agree with you that the "actor" took his life in his own hands. Can you imagine if someone had moved to cover and opened fire to stop the threat. SURPRISE!!! We're not all victims here!
    I know several LEO's that are firmly against these types of "no-notice" drills for this very reason. It is only a matter of time before somebody gets killed during one of these events. I can only image the civil suite that would follow...

Post imported post

falcon1 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

Also, Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

falcon1 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

Brandon Lee, the son of noted martial artist/actor Bruce Lee was killed by what was thought to be a blank as well, on the set of the CROW movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

thnycav wrote:
    My kids go to Trinity High School in Euless Tx. It is a public school with more than 2000 students of amazing ethnic and cultural diversity... less than 50% white and the remainder a potpourri of African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic, Native American and other. More than 80% of our students qualify for reduced rate lunches.

Our football team is rated #1 in the nation. All five of our choirs consistently take all top honors at national competitions. Our test scores rival private schools and schools in affluent areas. We have no gang or ethnic wars on/off campus. I could go on.

The point is our parents are active (I have over 30 volunteer hours already this year and that's nothin') and our administration and educators care. It's all about the students and they know and appreciate it. My wife and I are actively involved in our kids' education, as are many other parents. Why this is not the norm for all public schools is a mystery to me.

Sorry to be tootin' the horn for HEBISD (Hurst Euless Bedford),but here is a shining example of how it should work. I hope this was an appropriate tie in to this thread.

Post imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
    falcon1 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

Brandon Lee, the son of noted martial artist/actor Bruce Lee was killed by what was thought to be a blank as well, on the set of the CROW movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death
    Granted, those are only two cases, but can you IMAGINE how badly that would mess up a school budget if one of those kids was injured or killed by something jammed in the barrel, or by the wadding?

"Yeah, um, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, your son was killed by a scary intruder actor who was shooting blanks in our school during a surprise mock attack."
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast