• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scary Intruder Drill at school

Armed

imported post

cccook wrote:
I completely agree with you that the "actor" took his life in his own hands. Can you imagine if someone had moved to cover and opened fire to stop the threat. SURPRISE!!! We're not all victims here!
I know several LEO's that are firmly against these types of "no-notice" drills for this very reason. It is only a matter of time before somebody gets killed during one of these events. I can only image the civil suite that would follow...

gsx1138

unreconstructed1

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
It says the assho-..... actor was firing blanks.

Didn't someone really famous get killed by blanks a few years ago?
Jon-Erik Hexum killed himself accidentally on the set of Cover Up in 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

There may have been others.

Brandon Lee, the son of noted martial artist/actor Bruce Lee was killed by what was thought to be a blank as well, on the set of the CROW movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thnycav wrote:
I hate it when they use the term GOVERNMENT school to demonize public schools. remember folks they are our schools run by elected school boards. I do think that most need to be taken back but we can vote out the jerks that make the poor decisions that are ruining the schools. If not vote out the jerks attend the school board meetings and make them know how you feel. We do not get the government we want but what we deserve.

My kids go to Trinity High School in Euless Tx. It is a public school with more than 2000 students of amazing ethnic and cultural diversity... less than 50% white and the remainder a potpourri of African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic, Native American and other. More than 80% of our students qualify for reduced rate lunches.

Our football team is rated #1 in the nation. All five of our choirs consistently take all top honors at national competitions. Our test scores rival private schools and schools in affluent areas. We have no gang or ethnic wars on/off campus. I could go on.

The point is our parents are active (I have over 30 volunteer hours already this year and that's nothin') and our administration and educators care. It's all about the students and they know and appreciate it. My wife and I are actively involved in our kids' education, as are many other parents. Why this is not the norm for all public schools is a mystery to me.

Sorry to be tootin' the horn for HEBISD (Hurst Euless Bedford),but here is a shining example of how it should work. I hope this was an appropriate tie in to this thread.

AbNo

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
falcon1 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Brandon Lee, the son of noted martial artist/actor Bruce Lee was killed by what was thought to be a blank as well, on the set of the CROW movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death
Granted, those are only two cases, but can you IMAGINE how badly that would mess up a school budget if one of those kids was injured or killed by something jammed in the barrel, or by the wadding?

"Yeah, um, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, your son was killed by a scary intruder actor who was shooting blanks in our school during a surprise mock attack." :cuss:

MetalChris

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Not only was this STUPID, it is a great way to get KILLED!
Nah, not in this day and age. The chances of one of the teachers being armed is pretty much nil.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
falcon1 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Also, Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow.

Hexum (a cousin of a guy I work with) was never told that blanks are dangerous at close range. He put a blank-loaded gun to his head and pulled the trigger, resulting in his death.

Brandon Lee died when a prop person left a real cartridge in a gun that was supposed to have been loaded with only blanks.

When"Apocalypse Now" was filming in the Phillipines, the armorer for the film held a gun safety meeting for the entire cast. He loaded an M16 with blanks, held the rifle muzzle up with a stack of styrofoam cups over the barrel and pulled the trigger. The result was a room full of very startled actors covered in tiny pieces of styrofoam. There were no gun-related accidents on the film shoot.

ETA: This school safety "drill" was a foolish idea.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

There are so many reasons this was stupid. The actor obviously could have been injured or killed had one of those teachers been wound a little tight. Even in the absence of guns, imagine getting beaten to death with a dictionary, or clocked on the noggin with a fire extinguisher by the teacher who was using the rest room when he burst in.

That aside, exactly how was this supposed to test their security training? Aren't teachers supposed to lock their classroom doors, put the kids up against the safest wall or on the floor, keep the kids calm, dial 9-1-1 via cell phone, and then cower in the corner?

They weren't in their classrooms, they were in the library. From the sounds of it they never had the opportunity to lock any doors because the actor burst in and opened fire. There were no simulated kids freaking out and running around crying to test their ability to calm the students and order them against the wall. (and even if there were,it wouldn't have helped since the door wasn't locked and the attacker was already in the room. Lining them up would have just made it easier to pick 'em off)

So basically what the teachers here got to practice was getting the sh*t scared out of them, and cowering in the corner, and (if this was real world) getting killed by a crazed gunman who they were in no way prepared for.

I wonder how the cops and pricipal can say "They performed really well." REALLY? Which part did they excell at? The part where they screamed, the part where they were terrified, or the part where the Scary Intrudersimulated shooting them to death in the library?

Well isn't that peachy. I'll sure sleep better at night knowing that the teachers are properly trained to be victims.

N00blet45

imported post

This 'exercise' just reinforces that the teachers are not prepared to deal with the situation. If they were the actor would have been dead a few moments after he made his malevolent intentions clear.

I don't understand how they can continue to train faculty and students to hide in the corner all the while telling them it is the best thing to do. If these school shootings have shown anything it is that that does not work, hence the reason we have and will continue to have school shootings. The shooters know that their victims do not have the means to fight back so all they have to do is shoot as many as they can before the cops show up.

Granted there is no way to make a school completely safe from a possible intruder but there is a better way to deal with it that doesn't involve hiding and hoping that the boys in blue will save you.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Not only was this STUPID, it is a great way to get KILLED!
Nah, not in this day and age. The chances of one of the teachers being armed is pretty much nil.
You don't need tobe armedtodispatch someone quickly.

Yeah, what if the room was filled with "Rambo" types and they all rushed the actor, overtook him and beat the crap out of him? Did they have a stunt double for such an occassion?

:lol:

Triple Tap

imported post

marshaul wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
Town police Chief Edward Mirenda also praised teachers' performance, saying, "Teachers did a great job and reacted as they were trained."
I'm betting that their training consisted of cowering behind something while the intruder does whatever he wants. Another chapter in security theater.

+1
Brandon Lee was killed on the making of the Crow II. This was Bruce Lees son. The gun was somehow loaded with REAL bullets instead of the blanks while on set.

sjalterego

imported post

Just to clear up some confusion, and to point out the need for constant vigilance and car in the handling of firearms, the Brandon Lee situation did not involve a "real" cartridge but rather a truly unique blend of circumstances.

Because the movie was running behind schedule, it was decided that dummy cartridges (a cartridge that outwardly appears to be functional, but contain no propellant) would be made from real cartridges. A cartridge with only a primerand a bullet was fired in the pistol prior to the scene. It caused a squibin which the primer provided enough force to push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel of the revolver, where it became stuck.

The same gun was used again later to shoot the death scene, having been re-loaded with blanks, meaning no bullet but a "relatively full powder charge. Nevertheless, the squib was still lodged in the barrel, and was propelled by the blank cartridge's explosion out of the barrel and into Lee's body. Although the bullet was traveling much more slowly than a normally fired bullet would be, the bullet's large size and the extremely short firing distance made it powerful enough to fatally wound Lee.