• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False arrest, imprisonment and theft of weapons and revocation of CPL

tacmedic911

imported post

So here's one for you legal guys. For no apparent reason my friend was pulled over by at least 7 cops at gun point in Spokane a few years ago. He was in jail for over a week without bail and his weapons were taken. When it was all said and done, he was aquitted of any wrong doing, given an appology the city was told to return his weapons, which coincidentily the PD could not find.Do this day he has not recieved his weapons and has been profiled by SPD not to mention his family also felt thewrath by accusing his brother of theft and televised his arrest and jailing.

Even though this was several years ago, what if anything can he do about this?

David.Car

imported post

Being placed in prison requires paper work. Being released requires paperwork.

That paperwork would still exist.

Being held for 7 days without a bail hearing is a huge HUGE HUGEEEEE violation of his rights. He should have had a lawyer with in a day of being arrested and at the moment he should be living in a big house on an island somewhere...

tacmedic911

imported post

when I was talking to him about this I told him the exact same thing. He said he hired an attorney and that was a waste of $40,000 and still no guns back and its still on his record.

Although he won his case he is still out the money not to mention his weapons, and he says he has no recourse aganst the city.

PT111

imported post

tacmedic911 wrote:
when I was talking to him about this I told him the exact same thing. He said he hired an attorney and that was a waste of $40,000 and still no guns back and its still on his record.

Although he won his case he is still out the money not to mention his weapons, and he says he has no recourse aganst the city.
When it was all said and done, he was aquitted of any wrong doing, given an appology the
I don't know anything about this except what you have posted but from what you are saying it appears that your friend may be exaggerating a little. Somehow being aquitted and given an apology doesn't go along with it still being on his record.

joeroket

imported post

PT111 wrote:
tacmedic911 wrote:

When it was all said and done, he was aquitted of any wrong doing, given an appology the
I don't know anything about this except what you have posted but from what you are saying it appears that your friend may be exaggerating a little. Somehow being aquitted and given an apology doesn't go along with it still being on his record.
The arrest will still be on his record even though it does not show as a conviction.

PT111

imported post

joeroket wrote:
PT111 wrote:
tacmedic911 wrote:

The arrest will still be on his record even though it does not show as a conviction.
I realize that but the only case I have ever heard of where a formal apology was issued was the Duke LAX case. The way this sounded was as if it was never even entered as a not-guilty verdict or never closed. It is just that I have personally heard similar stories from people that had some truth in them but I knew were being greatly exaggerated.

tacmedic911

imported post

Of course he has been known to strech the truth on occasion, however I would be curious about the weapons being held and not returned to him. Even after the so called aquittal.