• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police and their carry

dalebfast

imported post

Hey All,

Here's a question that's been floating in my head for the last few weeks. What law gives the police the right to carry firearms? They have to be permitted somehow. Am I wrong to think just because they have a badge they can open carry?

My oldest boy is studying to take his correctional officer exam and be on his way to being a police officer, or po-po :D, and even he furthered my question by asking how the military is permitted. By law, statute, etc, etc.

Thanks, I try to read here daily, because I live in wonderful Southern California:cuss:

Dale

Sig229

imported post

Im sure every state is different.
But in most cases its written into the laws that identify what the Police of that county or city duties are.
What I would also like you know is, how can one LEO confirm that another is a LEO, say if that LEO is from out of state.

LEO 229

imported post

dalebfast wrote:
Hey All,

Here's a question that's been floating in my head for the last few weeks. What law gives the police the right to carry firearms? They have to be permitted somehow. Am I wrong to think just because they have a badge they can open carry?

My oldest boy is studying to take his correctional officer exam and be on his way to being a police officer, or po-po :D, and even he furthered my question by asking how the military is permitted. By law, statute, etc, etc.

Thanks, I try to read here daily, because I live in wonderful Southern California:cuss:

Dale

It is expected that a police officer be armed while on duty and is actually a requirement to do the job. Do you really need a law to allow the police to carry a gun while on duty?

What you are looking for may not be a law in some statesbut a state standard with criteria required before they can carry.

Laws are not written expressly to allow activity. They forbid or restrict activity but may have exclusions attached to permit in certain situations.

In Virginia.... you cannot CC in an alcohol establishment... except... law enforcement, or owners and employees of the business.

Virginia is an OCstate so there is no law necessary to allow the police to do so.

Maybe someone from another state can give ussomething from their state.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Rather than newbies not being permitted to post during some tyrant's probationary period, perhaps CLEO 229 could restrain himself from rising to troll sucker bait.

But no.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It is expected that a police officer be armed while on duty and is actually a requirement to do the job. Do you really need a law to allow the police to carry a gun while on duty?
Actually not true. Many constables in small CT towns do not carry firearms. If a situation cannot be resolved without violence, the resident state trooper is called. Why would a firearm be a requirement?

RIAShooter

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Rather than newbies not being permitted to post during some tyrant's probationary period, perhaps CLEO 229 could restrain himself from rising to troll sucker bait.

But no.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

I don't see any trolling, or LEO 229 adding any sarcasm to this, I see an honest question and an honest answer to the best of his knowledge, as far as the question, there is something in Kentucky called the HR 218 or something like that, and it gives LEO's the right to carry in places not normally allowed by anyone (i.e. Airport, buses, etc) but Ibelieve it requires pre-authorization. And I'm with Doug that I don't believethere should be any special priveleges, I would defend an innocent citizen, to the best of my ability as I'm sure any civilian or officer would as well.

LEO 229

imported post

Thundar wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Actually not true. Many constables in small CT towns do not carry firearms. If a situation cannot be resolved without violence, the resident state trooper is called. Why would a firearm be a requirement?
Actually.. I am going to have to disagree with you...

I personally expect that constable to be armed. It may be his or her decision or even the town mayor to not arm have them be armed.....

But me.. as a person traveling thought the town some day... and being chased by amad man....and I run up to the constable and point out the "man with a gun" trying to kill me... I expect that cop/constable to be armed and stop the threat!

Otherwise... we are both going to be killed. :uhoh:

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

But no.

You are right....Iused to respond to the new guys. However... I am no longer doing that and you will have to have far more posts before you hear from me.

Thanks for pointing out in a "negative and condescending way.." you express your hatred towards me in such a wonderful way. A gentle PM would have been very kind.

But no.

However.... you cannot take credit for this.... as it was something that was already discussed as an OC dinner. :p

Now move along now Doug.. nothing to see here... : Tap : Tap : Tap :

nova

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
dalebfast wrote:
Hey All,

Dale

Laws are not written expressly to allow activity. They forbid or restrict activity but may have exclusions attached to permit in certain situations.

In Virginia.... you cannot CC in an alcohol establishment... except... law enforcement, or owners and employees of the business.

Virginia is an OCstate so there is no law necessary to allow the police to do so.

Yep...most laws in VA regarding firearms have specific exemptions for law enforcement and active military in the line of duty. Whether this is right or wrong (having laws that allow police to have superior firepower over the 'civvies") isanother story, and opinions will vary depending on who you ask.

TheMrMitch

imported post

"What I would also like you know is, how can one LEO confirm that another is a LEO, say if that LEO is from out of state."

In MY case....an ID card similar to DL or carry license carried on my person.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Others are right in that it varies by state and I think there are even some relevant federal laws like the LEOSA.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act)

Originally I believe most police in the USA weren't armed because they worried people might see them as astanding army. Ibelieve in some countries the regular patrolmen are not armed even today.

Is it a good idea for them to be armed? I think so. If we have to havepolice they should be armed. And so should non-police.

LEO 229

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
"What I would also like you know is, how can one LEO confirm that another is a LEO, say if that LEO is from out of state."

In MY case....an ID card similar to DL or carry license carried on my person.
I have encountered a few LEOs from out of state in my time.... they have a badge and ID card like I do.

LEO 229

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Others are right in that it varies by state and I think there are even some relevant federal laws like the LEOSA.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act)

Originally I believe most police in the USA weren't armed because they worried people might see them as astanding army. Ibelieve in some countries the regular patrolmen are not armed even today.

Is it a good idea for them to be armed? I think so. If we have to havepolice they should be armed. And so should non-police.
Agreed!!

Because we all know the bad guy is armed.

LEO 229

imported post

nova wrote:
Yep...most laws in VA regarding firearms have specific exemptions for law enforcement and active military in the line of duty. Whether this is right or wrong (having laws that allow police to have superior firepower over the 'civvies") isanother story, and opinions will vary depending on who you ask.

I have no greater access to "superior" firepower than a citizen. As a citizen I actually have access to far more weapons than I do on duty.

There is pretty much nothing I can get on duty that I cannot get as a civilian. So there is no real access to superior firepower.

[line]

There are certain code sections wherethepolice are exempt... not many....

Maybe we can compile a list so we can see what is out there.

In Virginia....

Alcohol establishment.

J3: nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

At School

(iv) any law-enforcement officer

Brandishing

I am not exempt from being charged with brandishing!! So if I point my gun at you... you can apparently have me arrested!

I am exempt from being sued civilly....

B. Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.

So what else is there????

BlueStreek

imported post

I'm no legal scholar but I would say they are permitted their right to carry from the same place we are. Our Creator. The second amendment is suppose to protect that right and prevent the Government from taking that right away from us. But as reality would have it, it is being stripped away piece by piece except for law enforcement. Nearly every ILLEGAL law restricting the right to keep and bear arms has a clause exempting the standing army known as law enforcement.

Did you ever stop to think about how much freedom we have allowed to be infringed? We live in a far more restrictive environment than our founders and they revolted because of it.

Take care and keep you powder dry!

Ken

nova

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nova wrote:

I have no greater access to "superior" firepower than a citizen. As a citizen I actually have access to far more weapons than I do on duty.

There is pretty much nothing I can get on duty that I cannot get as a civilian. So there is no real access to superior firepower.

[line]

There are certain code sections wherethepolice are exempt... not many....

Maybe we can compile a list so we can see what is out there.

In Virginia....

Alcohol establishment.

J3: nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

At School

(iv) any law-enforcement officer

Brandishing

I am not exempt from being charged with brandishing!! So if I point my gun at you... you can apparently have me arrested!

I am exempt from being sued civilly....

B. Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.

So what else is there????

By "superior firepower" I had big cities like NYC, Chicago, and WashDC in mind, but it can be applied to other whole states like CA, NY, MA, etc. in terms of restrictive gun laws.

Yeah pretty much the only ones I could think of were places that serve alcohol and schools...I guess that isn't 'most' laws now that you point that out...:)

LEO 229

imported post

nova wrote:
By "superior firepower" I had big cities like NYC, Chicago, and WashDC in mind, but it can be applied to other whole states like CA, NY, MA, etc. in terms of restrictive gun laws.

Yeah pretty much the only ones I could think of were places that serve alcohol and schools...I guess that isn't 'most' laws now that you point that out...:)
Ahh!!! OK. I agree with you in that the states really should not be banning firearms or hi-cap mags.

This is just like DC banning guns..... we all know that since 1976 this has been so effective on stopping gun crime. <Insert Sarcasm Here>

But it is not the officers fault that the law makers for the state decided to set such bans in place. I guess you cannot even fault the police departments unless you know for sure the police petitioned the state to do it. I know I have never been personally asked about my feelings on gun bans. ;)

More often I believe it is the feel good crew that "think" this will somehow stop deaths.

So sad...... :cry:

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
dalebfast wrote:
Hey All,

Dale

What you are looking for may not be a law in some statesbut a state standard with criteria required before they can carry.

Leo! You made bail! Welcome back! I'm sure those morals charges won't stick.:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Leo! You made bail! Welcome back! I'm sure those morals charges won't stick.:lol:
As you can see from my photo.... I am a not who I was a month ago... I am a changed man.

I have been re indoctrinated and reprogrammed to think things through from now on.