• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An Observation

Aran

Banned
imported post

Back at the end of last year, I had a few nasty encounters with the police while open carrying. I'm sure you're all familiar with them, or at least have heard me mention them at some point, so I won't go into detail.

When I first posted about them, everyone at <Other forum, who on second thought, the name has been removed. Not trying to start a war here.> told me I was full of it, the police don't respond like that, etc. I was treated like a liar, a scam artist, a fraud. They acted like I just wanted to milk them for money for a pretend lawsuit in a situation that never happened. All I wanted was pretty much to be told "Don't worry, everything's okay, we're on your side, you didn't do anything wrong." Nothing more. Just emotional support because I was freaking out inside.

Not too long after, reports practically started pouring in of similar encounters, near-violence at the hands of the police. The "gun community" (Or, at least, that group) stood together firmly, providing financial support, emotional support, and drew closer together for it.

The attitude of "This could never happen like you said it did!" disappeared. Camaraderie flowed like water in a river, and yet my experiences became a running joke there, with myself banned apparently for life (Though not strictly for that reason, mind you...) and unable to even defend myself, or remind them that "Hey, this happened to me too, and you guys laughed at me."

Is it me? Am I a horrible person who can't be trusted? Is it my age? I may be 22, and was 21 then, but I have just as many rights and just as much right to carry as anyone else.

I know I'm not always the most friendly person, and that a lot of people are turned off of me by the fact that I'll tell you exactly how I see it, and not sugar coat it, but I've never done it to be hurtful, I was just raised to be honest. Sometimes I take it too far and it comes off rather brutally.

I don't even know what the point of this post was, I guess it's just kind of painful to be the one on the outside looking in, when I need(ed) the exact same help that's freely given to everyone else.

I don't want/never wanted your money. I don't expect you to "get" me and my sense of humor/straightforward way of speaking. I just want to be looked at as me, not as "that kid" or "that jerk" or whatever a lot of people see me as. Yeah, I'm pretty acidic sometimes, but at least give me a chance before you write me off. I may not have a stellar personality, I may be poor, but I still have a lot to offer.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, most of the time I read your name I find myself agreeing with your posts. Granted, I don't stalk you :uhoh: so it's a pretty random sampling.

At any rate, I myself became active on OCDO precisely because of a diversity of viewpoints that requires members to be a little open-minded, at least some of the time, in order to function here. That's always been one thing this forum has that most of the "gun community" at large doesn't. Let's hope that remains true in the months to come.

I guess my own rambling point is that we're all accepted here, if not by everybody than by "enough" people to make posting worthwhile. At least that's been my experience.

CowboyKen

imported post

IMHO, most of the time your posts have merit and I agree with your positions (which, of course, is why they have merit :p). Don't get down on yourself, it is only the web, not real life.

Ken

Thundar

imported post

Hey Aran,

You have a sound intellect and a top notch attitude.

You don't have to apoligize for being honest, but don't go out of your way to poke the bear either.

Stand on your reasoning skills. I believe that what you said happened. Keep the powder dry, come back often and stay away from that other site.

Thundar