• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to open carry

Moooose102

imported post

hi, i am new to this idea. i was informed (aparently, misinformed) that open carry was illegal in michigan. so, i went and got a cpl. when i picked it up, the deputy was sure to inform me that this ment i could not carry my gun on my hip, as it was brandishing:cuss::banghead:. so i am fairly confused on this situation. so, now that i have a cpl, can i open carry, or not? and if i can, what type of confrontations can i expect from leo's? also, i have heard that wal-mart is not a good place to carry openly. can anybody tell me why?

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Moooose102 wrote:
hi, i am new to this idea. i was informed (aparently, misinformed) that open carry was illegal in michigan. so, i went and got a cpl. when i picked it up, the deputy was sure to inform me that this ment i could not carry my gun on my hip, as it was brandishing:cuss::banghead:. so i am fairly confused on this situation. so, now that i have a cpl, can i open carry, or not? and if i can, what type of confrontations can i expect from leo's? also, i have heard that wal-mart is not a good place to carry openly. can anybody tell me why?

Brandishing is defined as waving your pistol around or pointing at someone menacingly. Holster is NOT brandshing. HE is misinformed, or just BS-ing you.

National policy for Wal-Mart is that they comply with states that have concealed weapons laws, and honor that, but if someone is seen with a pistol exposed or partially exposed they will tell them to cover it or leave. This seems to vary from store to store, and is a guidline, a policy of theirs to fall back on. Not law and usually not posted at store entrance as a rule.

You can still open carry even if you have a CPL.

Read this article in the Detroit Free Press. Skip Coryell is shown there with an holstered pistol. He is NRA certified instructor, and also has CPL. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/NEWS06/807250352/1008

Tucker6900

imported post

Moooose102 wrote:

Welcome to OCDO!!

The only thing a CPL does is allow you to conceal it when you must, open carry where some can not, and makes it easier to get in a car and travel.

The confrontations you could expect? Although Open Carry is legal throughout most fo Michigan (see "Michigan Open Carry Information" for restrictions), you will more than likely be approached byan officer questioning you about your pistol.

As far as Walmart is concerned, it really depends on your store manager. Walmarts policy is believed to be concealed only, no open carry, but it varies from store to store. The manager for the Fowlerville Walmart would rather someone CC, as it is allowed by law, but it is private property, and you can be asked to leave, cover it up, etc, etc, if thats how the local management wants to roll.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

ahhh, nothing like Sequential Query Language databases.. (Off topcic)

Tucker is right about store policies. I'm not sure where it is and isn't allowed. Aparently in those previous stores mentioned they have no qualms with it.

SQLtables

imported post

Darth AkSarBen wrote:
ahhh, nothing like Sequential Query Language databases.. (Off topcic)

Tucker is right about store policies. I'm not sure where it is and isn't allowed. Aparently in those previous stores mentioned they have no qualms with it.
Good ol' SQL....

Or haven't noticed.. but with how much I've OC'd in those few stores, I find that hard to believe. I know for sure the sporting goods people in Midland have seen it, since the one guy said "well, you have the gun, so you're obviously old enough to buy the ammo."

taxwhat

imported post

Moooose102 wrote:
hi welcome please read READ read all on site then ask away !!!