• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More gun confiscation for evacuees in New Orleans

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
* ammendmentvalid at participating locations only . limit one right per person per visit. must show valid license, permit, or registration in order to redeem said right. right not offered in New York, California, Massachussetts, District of Columbia or other areas where right has been deemed inappropriate. other restrictions may apply, see neighborhood, city, county, state, federal and international representatives for more details.
Now that's funny. :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
So because you are poor, you lose rights. I do not agree.

Yes, rich people can afford great lawyers and poor peopleMIGHT only get a public defender, and that IS the reality, but it's still not right. One shouldn't have to be able to afford (buy) justice. I have no sympathy for trash (i.e., re: behavior, not income), so I'm not talking about them, just decent poor people.

And almost any place to live in the country has it's problems...earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires, tornadoes and hurricanes...removeall those places for residential areas and you lose lots of territory.People can live wherever they want,but that shouldn't mean they have to give up any civil rights because of THAT, either.

Again, if "the authorities" can't even trust people who have a CHL "the authorities" issued, thenthere is a real problem.

-- John D.

P.S. I agree with government-provided transportation having rules, but said rules should not contravene civil rights.
I'm not saying that wealth should have anything to do with someone's rights. What I am saying is that if you are going to use gov't resources to evacuate instead of your own resources you have to deal with their rules, like it or not.If they choose to stay and are forced to leave anyway, I got a problem with that. If the gov't confiscates people's guns who are NOT riding gov't transportation or staying in gov't provided shelters, I got a problem with that.

These people didn't lose any civil rights because of where they live. They didn't lose any civil rights because they were poor. They had their constitutionally protect right to keep and bear arms infringed because they relied on gov't instead of themselves to solve their problem, ie how to get out of an area they chose to live in that gets hit with hurricanes on a somewhat regular basis and then where to stay after they evacuated. My experience would lead me to believe that relying on gov't to provide for them instead of providing for themselves is precisely why most of these people are poor in the first place.

I'm not even saying that I could never end up in that situation or that I wouldn't be pi$$ed off. But I would be more pi$$ed off at my decisions that led to me having to rely on gov't than at the realities of the bad things that I have to deal with when I do rely on gov't.

superdemon

imported post

Venator wrote:
superdemon wrote:
Were the trains leased by FEMA for the evacuation?
Ooooh good point,if a contractee they have to follow the fed law on not taking firearms away....

Yup.

However, it seemed to be local police doing the confiscating. Did the NRA lawsuit target feds only, or fed, state and local LEAs? I'm not familiar with it at all...

Prophet

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
So because you are poor, you lose rights.

P.S. I agree with government-provided transportation having rules, but said rules should not contravene civil rights.

I don't think the declaration of independence espouses "Life, Liberty, and a train ride out of the Bayou". Just like it doesn't say Life Liberty and healthcare. The government shouldnt play nanny so if you dont want to take the train then dont.

Eagleeye

imported post

Get a load of this

Same ol Nothin in the Noggin Nagin....

http://www.infowars.com/?p=4294

Lord Nagin: Go Outside, Go to Jail
Infowars
September 2, 2008

Those who dared disobey the government decreed “mandatory hurricane evacuation” in New Orleans will be arrested and sent to jail if they wander “outside their properties during a dusk-to-dawn curfew,” according to the AFP. “Those persons who remain within the City of New Orleans do so at their own risk and are subject to arrest if they are outside the boundaries of their own property,” said Lord Nagin, Surpeme Commander of New Orleans. “Nagin warned Sunday that looters would be arrested and sent directly to prison.”

“What, no trial? I mean, I realize ‘legal niceties’ simply get in the way of maintaining recht und ordnung… um, sorry, law and order … but this is a nifty approach. Get arrested, go straight to the big house, no muss, no fuss, only the ease of legal administration,” writes Charles Featherstone for the LRC blog.

“You know, prisoners sitting in cells are so, well, economically unproductive. Wouldn’t it simply be easier if in the future, the kinds of people who refuse to obey gummint orders, would simply get whisked away to special camps, I mean detention centers, where they can spend their days laboring for the good of society? You know, felling trees and quarrying rocks and digging canals?”

N00blet45

imported post

I agree that if you let the government take care of you that you concede being able to complain about the treatment you receive from them. In a common sense world your rights guaranteed by the government would be respected by that government. Common sense died shortly after the founders it seems.

Also just because you have rights doesn't mean that it is going to be convenient for you to express that right. Expressing your rights might mean that you have to huff it to a safe distance or rough out a storm, the cliché goes 'freedom isn't free'. Personally I'd rather end up a floating corpse than a refugee disarmed and degraded, but to each his own.

Dustin

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I agree that if you let the government take care of you that you concede being able to complain about the treatment you receive from them. In a common sense world your rights guaranteed by the government would be respected by that government. Common sense died shortly after the founders it seems.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald Ford

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Prophet wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
So because you are poor, you lose rights.

I don't think the declaration of independence espouses "Life, Liberty, and a train ride out of the Bayou". Just like it doesn't say Life Liberty and healthcare. The government shouldnt play nanny so if you dont want to take the train then dont.

The federal law applies only to federal employees, and agents acting for the Feds. So a subcontractor would be included, or if the local police are working for the Feds. But it only applies when an emergency is declared in some official way. Each state would need to have legislation dealing with gun confiscation, some states have most haven't.

H.R. 5441 [109th]: Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2007

Section 557 -

Amends the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) to prohibit any U.S. officer or employee, or person operating under color of federal law, under control of a federal official, or providing services to such person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, from: (1) seizing any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under federal or state law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation; (2) requiring registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by federal or state law; (3) prohibiting possession of any firearm where such possession is not otherwise prohibited; or (4) prohibiting the carrying of a firearm by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms, solely because such person is operating under the control of a federal agency in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency. Authorizes any individual aggrieved by a violation of this Act to seek relief by bringing an action for redress and by bringing a civil action inU.S.district court for return of a confiscated firearm.