• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg/Charlottesville Open Carry

W1MRS

imported post

Thought I would start one for our little area. If there is already one that I could not fine let me know for just post away. :D

72Malibu

imported post

We had one for Central VA, but I guess it hasn't seen enough activity to stay near the top.

Here's my experiences:

Bonefish Grill - OC'd there twice and even chatted with the manager on occasion. Never any problem from anybody. Excellent food too.

Cheeseburgers in Paradise - I did once without incident, but apparently someone else in here also did and had a negative encounter. Since I heard about the negative encounter, I haven't been back.

Timberwood Grill - I've OC'd there twice, but don't know if anybody really noticed, so I can't say for certain what kind of encounter could be had.

Those are mostly restaurant carry stories. I personally carry concealed everywhere else I legally can. I haven't OC'd much around C'ville otherwise.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got booted out of Cheeseburger in Paradise in Charlottesville by the Manager.

I OC almost everywhere in Lynchburg without issue, though I think I may have had my first almost-issue today in Walmart.

I had been shopping for about a half hour when I saw two police officers walking up and down looking down the isles several times. They then went and talked to an employee and then scanned the isles again, by this time I was in the checkout line. After that they just left. I could be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they were looking for me. Also doesn't give me too much confidence in the investigative abilities of Lynchburg's finest if they were. I never made any attempt to hide my gun, they just never looked my way.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I OC as much as I CC here in Lynchburg and have not yet had a problem. I take most of my meals out somewhere so the list of places I've OC'ed could be quite long. Sometimes it's just easier to CC due to what I'm wearing, but not because I'm worried of issues. Here are some of the Lynchburg area places I frequent when OC'ing for the sake of others who may wonder.

Home Depot, Lowe's, Kroger (pick one), Wal-Mart, Target, all gas stations.

Logan's Roadhouse, the Neighbor's Place, Olive Garden, Vinny's, Ledo's Pizza, Moe's Southwest Grill, Schmokie's BBQ, in addition to many other restaurants that I visit occasionally. Lynchburg has proved to be about as open carry friendly as my old home of Phoenix, AZ.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As I waited for a table in Logan's Roadhouse in Lynchburg last night I turned to my right to see two young guys standing beside me one of which had a holstered handgun on his hip. I told him it was good to see another open carrier and when he noticed that I too was carrying he agreedand was seated shortly thereafter. If any of you were that guy it was good to see you!

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to make any comments about OCDO, but it was a nice change to see another OC'er as I've seen less than a half dozen of us in this area over the past year or so that I've lived here. I'd love to run into people OC'ing everyday in every place I go, but as of yet it has yet to happen. Here's hoping to more OC'ers in Lynchburg! :)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As is weekly routine my girlfriend, myself (armed with a large frame Ruger) and a buddy went into a local Italian place, La Villa da Tota for dinner and were taken care of with good food and good service. Not long after we got there the owner, a short dark Italian guy with slicked back hair and Italian - New York City accent stopped by to say hi like he does often. In his own friendly way he said " you know when I saw you walk in here with that gun it made me go (he ducks down and pops his head back up looking around) since I'm from New York, but when I heard you were a customer I don't worry anymore." I laughed and told him not to worry since unlike some New Yorkers, Virginians carry guns. He wished us a happy night and went on to make his rounds with the other customers.

I like encounters like this since it just goes to show everyone that even Average Schmoes like me carry guns on a regular basis in daily life with not the least bit of ill will or malicious intent for those around me who don't offer to do me harm. And for that (and the good food and cute waitresses ;) ) I will continue to give La Villa my business.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tonight the girlfriend and I tried out a new restaurant called Doc's Diner just off of US-460 on the Liberty University campus here in Lynchburg (off of Candler's Mtn. Road). I had seen this place under construction earlier in 2008, but never did see when it officially opened until I saw a commercial on a local channel inviting folk to dine there. Not being sure if alcohol was served I open carried as is the norm most places I go and the girlfriend and I were treated to friendly staff, good prices and tasty food. Being right on the campus (in fact shares a parking lot with some dorms) I wasn't sure what would be said about the gun (if anything), but the operators sounded like good ol' central Virginians and not the first word was spoken or strange look was given over carrying the gun. Doc's Diner does not serve alcohol so those who want to CC can without worry.

If you find yourself in Lynchburg and want anything from breakfast food (served all day) or lunch and dinner food and don't plan on having a beer or other alcoholic beverage I'd encourage you to check out Doc's Diner for some tasty food and friendly folk. :)

W1MRS

imported post

Been a while since I posted. CC due to the weather but my fiancee stopped by and had a nice lunch/dinner at O'Charlies (1/10/09) so OC while we were in there eating. Whilewe were getting ready to leave I noticed another OCwith a companion :D, we were in a rushso did not stop to say heybut was nice to see another OC. First I had seen while we were out. Maybe we will see each other again and be able tosay hello.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My girlfriend, who also open carries on occasion, was working yesterday at her restaurant (one of the chains in here in Lynchburg) when she overheard some of her coworkers squealing about a man with a gun out in the dining room. The 'boys' and 'girls' who were causing the ruccus were confident that the man couldn't have a gun there and said that they didn't feel comfortable with him being there. The girlfriend then broke into the conversation and let them know that if he was carrying his gun holstered he was perfectly legal in his gun carrying and let them know that she appreciated the person carrying and felt safer as a result.

She also mentioned to them the countlesstimes that I'd been in that very same restaurant carrying my gun and pointed out that I'd even conversed with them while carrying there (you can guess that they are the observant type). When she left the huddle of squealers she walked over to the guest and let him know that she was glad to see him carrying and appreciated that he was carrying. If this man was one of you, I'm glad to know that you were carrying as well. :)