• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana needs a large OC meetup, lets get one going!

Prometheus

imported post

EVENT ORGANIZERS from other states feel free to chime in and give us tips and pointers! We want a successful event.

We see how successful groups in VA and Mi have been with their large OC meetups and rallies.

It's our turn!

Today is Sept 1st and winter will soon be upon us. However we will have some beautiful days between now and then. Lets put one to good use!

First we need a good location where OC is welcomed. Cabelas comes to mind, but I'd like to invite the press, so a private location may not be the proper venue. I want dozens and dozens, hopefully hundreds of Hoosiers OC'ing!

It seems the bar-b-q events have done very well.

A State park will probably be our best bet. Preferably something close to an interstate for ease of directions and to help encourage people from distant parts of the state to attend.

So:

We need suggestions for-
1- Location (include a link to the location, googlemaps whatever)
2- Date and time, keep in mind we need a LEAST 2 weeks notice and winter is only a few weeks away. We want our children to be at this event as well. End of September is probably a good time.
3- your location in the state (to help us settle on an area closest to where the majority of people are coming from).

Anything else you think is pertinent that I've forgotten.

Lets get this ball rolling!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Prometheus wrote:
EVENT ORGANIZERS from other states feel free to chime in and give us tips and pointers! We want a successful event.

We see how successful groups in VA and Mi have been with their large OC meetups and rallies.

It's our turn!

Today is Sept 1st and winter will soon be upon us. However we will have some beautiful days between now and then. Lets put one to good use!

First we need a good location where OC is welcomed. Cabelas comes to mind, but I'd like to invite the press, so a private location may not be the proper venue. I want dozens and dozens, hopefully hundreds of Hoosiers OC'ing!

It seems the bar-b-q events have done very well.

A State park will probably be our best bet. Preferably something close to an interstate for ease of directions and to help encourage people from distant parts of the state to attend.

So:

We need suggestions for-
1- Location (include a link to the location, googlemaps whatever)
2- Date and time, keep in mind we need a LEAST 2 weeks notice and winter is only a few weeks away. We want our children to be at this event as well. End of September is probably a good time.
3- your location in the state (to help us settle on an area closest to where the majority of people are coming from).

Anything else you think is pertinent that I've forgotten.

Lets get this ball rolling!

We in Michigan have had some good events. You are on the right track. MY advice is to just step up and propose a location, a date/time and see how many people can make it. Tweak the date if need be. Make sure nothing else is going on on the weekend you choose. Post a map of how you get to the site.

As you stated we like public parks, (Private places can ask you to leave.) close to an exit. Our first meeting was at a McDonalds and 4 people showed. Our last picnic probably had 75 people show up, with many reading about it in the paper a couple of days before the event. Sometimes we put out a press release sometimes not, depends on the goal of the group.

A picnic is good with people bringing a dish to pass and others bringing brat/burgers, etc... We like to call them picnicinstead ofa rally or demonstration (less confrontational) We have one person be the organizer/contact and they post an updated who is coming and what they are bringing. You can peruse some of the Michigan events on our forum for ideas and you are free to PM me with any questions.

Good luck and defend the 2nd.

cce1302

imported post

A picnic sounds good to me. I'm in South Bend, so anywhere across 80/90 would be fine, or the northern 1/3 or so of the state.

I don't really know that a picnic to inform people of the acceptance of open carry would be necessary as I don't even remember getting funny looks or comments from anybody when I OC. Of course, I could be easily mistaken for an off-duty cop, and that puts sheeple's minds at ease. I do like the idea of getting together to meet other gun guys like myself though. I'll even try bringing the family.

What do you think of Potato Creek on the 27th?

http://www.stateparks.com/potato_creek_st._joseph.html

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Here in Michigan the awareness of OC varies. It's good to meet others of a like mind and to show those that may be reluctant to OC that most times, nothing happens. Besides they tend to be a lot of fun. Even if only a handful show up it's a blast.

An aside, some people have traveled over 2 hours to come to our picnics, dedication, gotta love that. Your fellow Hoosier FORDTRUCK came to the one we had in Lansing, yep he OC, even went into the State Library/Museum to use the potty;). Remember FORDTRUCK?

Prometheus

imported post

Kingsbury is close enough to an interstate, but is probably too far NW in the state. Should no one from down south be coming up it's an idea. negatives are the the range obviously, fees charged and very heavily controlled.

Picnic will probably last at least 2 hours, and most of us will be driving an hour or two each way , I seriously doubt trying to also squeeze in shooting is practical.

Potato Creek- too far off of an interstate IMO. It appears to be a good hour off of 80. Some one coming from Indy is looking at 4 hours.

I live in the NW Corner of the state. I am counting on some people with knowledge of CENTRALLY and WELL LOCATED areas for this event.

A best bet would be somewhere off of I65 about mid way between I80 and Indianapolis.

We have a heavy contingent of people from the North, NW and Indy. Both groups should be meeting half way IMO.

Not to slight the south, but when the numbers play out 85%+ of us are from indy and points north.

Skippy

imported post

Can't carry in IndyParks parks, so it would have to be either a private park or outside Indianapolis city limits.

Prometheus

imported post

Skippy wrote:
Can't carry in IndyParks parks, so it would have to be either a private park or outside Indianapolis city limits.
Yep, one of the reasons why I was thinking a state park.

SOME cities do not have ordinances against carry in parks or city owned property. So a city park is not out of the question, nor would some county parks be either. We just have to be very careful and make sure we the specific city code and ordinances.

Munster doesn't... of course it's basically as far NW in the state as it could be, so no luck there, lol.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Yep, one of the reasons why I was thinking a state park.

SOME cities do not have ordinances against carry in parks or city owned property. So a city park is not out of the question, nor would some county parks be either. We just have to be very careful and make sure we the specific city code and ordinances.

Munster doesn't... of course it's basically as far NW in the state as it could be, so no luck there, lol.

Prometheus, here's a link for Indiana State Parks and Map. Hope it will help.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/11925.htm

ghengis86

imported post

FYI, far northwest, but a thought.

Central Park, Griffith, IN (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=central+park,+griffith,+in&fb=1&cid=3481431895448700414&li=lmd&z=14&t=m)

No city restrictions (http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=12801&sid=14)

Sec. 46-28. Firearms.

(a)No persons shall fire or discharge any gun, pistol, or other firearms, or any other weapon operated by means of any explosive charge or by springs or air power, or other means, or any other device having force directed by the user thereof within the town, except upon premises used by a duly licensed or approved shooting gallery, gun or rifle club, or archery range, or any program of organized training or practice in the use of firearms or other weapons approved and supervised by the chief of police, or such officer or other person as the chief of police shall appoint for such purpose. However, it shall not be unlawful to fire or shoot a bow and arrow, so long as the use thereof is restricted to areas at least 1,000 feet distance from any building whether occupied or unoccupied or within 1,000 feet distance of any public street, alley, or highway.

(b)No cannon or piece of artillery shall be discharged or fired off in any public way or other place within the town, except upon the express permission of the town council.

(c)The provisions of this section shall not apply to members of the police department or other peace officers engaged in the discharge of their official duties, nor to any person summoned by any of such officers to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace while such person so summoned is engaged in assisting such officer, nor to sheriffs, coroners, or constables. The restrictions of this section shall not apply to the use or discharge of any gun loaded with blank cartridges when used in athletic contests.

(Code 1984, § 130.02(A))

Maybe somewhere near Merrilvill/Crown Point?

bhughesiii2187

imported post

i would be all for this.. I was just thinking how even a NW area meetup would be great! Thoug having all of our carrying brothers and sisters together would be even better.

I just recently found this site and love it. I am still kinda iffy on OCing for the fact I have been drilled into thinking i could only CC. But I am all for OC, just haven't had any opportunity other than going to Cabela's to do so.

Jubbie

imported post

I started thinking of possible places to have a NWI meet-up. My ideas seem to revolve around food, and it's going to be too cold to have a cook out. Plus if we are all wearing jackets it kind of defeats the purpose of having an OC event. First thought was Cabela's but their food ain't too great. It would just be funny to have one person sit in the parking lot and see how many LEO cars show up and how quickly. I've heard Pro Bass has some good food, but I'm not sure what their policy is. I haven't really OC'd much so I don't know which other restaurants would just ask us to leave. All the restaurants I go to haven't had signs up against firearms. Next time I go to Langel's I'll have to ask, they have good pizza.