• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OpenCarry.org

Kylevet

imported post

Hi-first time visitor to opencarry.org, saw the billboard on the highway out of San Antonio.

I do have 1 quick question, dunno if its best to post here or if I can find out elsewhere.

Do you guys also support Concealed carry? I would love to support open carry, join & sign any and all petitions, and absolutely think it should be legal, *in addition to* concealed carry--but I'm not sure I would support it *instead of* concealed carry. Does opencarry.org have an sort of position statement on this?

Thanks!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yes, both methods of carry are solidly and enthusiastically supported for those who may legally practice these modes of carry. Unlike some carry boards, this one does not display a bias to the extent of animosity towards those who may chose to CC.

I do both depending upon a number of factors at the time. Hope this answers you question.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Welcome, Kylevet.

I do not and cannot speak for OCDO (an acronym for Opencarry-dot-org), but I have seen nothing here that indicates any support for an "either-or" stance.

You can, from time to time, see spirited discussions about "concealed but not open" carry, but things are usually pretty civil by Internet standards.

regards,

GR

Prophet

imported post

I have a CCW here in PA but that is primarily because I am forced to have one in order to carry in a vehicle or in Philadelphia. Personally, I prefer open carrying but during these cold northern winters I find myself with a coat on and instead of jerry-rigging my coat I just carry concealed. I've never got the "this way or the hi-way" vibe from anyone here.

Though I cannot say the same for some other sights I have perused in which CC'ers are very adamant about not OCing.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome aboard Kylevet!

I have to agree with the posts above....althought OCDO is focused on open carry in the sense of education for those who aren't aware of the legal aspects, most here will tell you "open or concealed...just carry"
It's about the Right, not about your chosen mode of carry....

AbNo

imported post

One more for the "carry it, but remember you can open carry it" crowd. :)

Oh yeah, and what's a CHP/CCW/C-whatever, depending on where you live?

I certainly don't have one of those. :shock:

Kylevet

imported post

Very cool. That sounds great--I'm going to sign the Texas petition right now, and my wife will, too. I can surely support that type of stance--open or concealed, just carry.:celebrate

Prophet

imported post

Kylevet wrote:
Very cool. That sounds great--I'm going to sign the Texas petition right now, and my wife will, too. I can surely support that type of stance--open or concealed, just carry.:celebrate

Since you are from texas i'll share a little of my few cop encounters in which they always say the same thing.

"This isn't the wild west, we don't live in Texas"

At which point I tell them that OC in Texas is illegal. They never quite know how to react to that. :lol:

Though it will deprive me from a small sense of amusement at the befuddlement of the cops who equate OC to Texas, i hope that your state will soon, no longer be one of the anti-OC 6.

Kylevet

imported post

It is really weird, being from Texas, and reading all the posts from other states who have more sensible firearms laws than we do! :banghead:Hopefully that will be remedied soon.....

Michigander

imported post

Kylevet wrote:
:banghead:Hopefully that will be remedied soon.....

Folks here have made remarkable headway. With how determined and proud of their state Texan folks are, I have a nagging suspicion it will be.:)

HungSquirrel

imported post

I CC and OC pretty regularly. Right now, Texas is a thorn in my side. I travel a lot, and I have family in Texas and New Mexico. Texas accepts my Alabama CC permit, but prohibits OC. New Mexico does not accept my CC permit, but I can OC there. So, I can OC while driving all the way to the LA/TX border, then conceal, then immediately as I'm crossing into NM, unconceal. Pain in the posterior, and downright silly to boot!

Michigander

imported post

Actually, I believe that under New Mexico's extended domain law, you're good to go with keeping it concealed until you get out of the car.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Hm, hadn't considered that. I'd rather not push my luck, though, and I prefer OC anyway. Right at the border, I will remove my cover garment. Even better, if Texas comes to its senses, I can OC from Alabama all the way to Arizona if I want to!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Our latest poll on the issue indicates that over 80% of active OCDO members have a CC permit. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/14496.html About half of those CC because they prefer it or state/local law requires it. There may be some who oppose CC but if so, they are pretty much quiet on the matter. The majority of the comments on the issue indicate that most members Cc or OC as they deem appropriate for the situation and circumstances.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Welcome to the board!

Although I've seen debates on here concerning OC vs CC, and this site mainly concentrates on OC, I agree that I've seen no animosity between the two points of view. We support the 2A...Period.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

I posted this on another thread. It seems to apply here as well. "Thieves and other bad guys will usually size up an opportunity before they act. An openly carried firearm may deter a robbery or assault. Even when armedthemselves bad guys don't like to get shot. So they will just shop elsewhere sincethere is an abundance of sheeple available for the picking. A firearm carried CC only reacts after the assault has begun. To pull or show it sooner is brandishing. CC is great for stopping an assault but it does little in the way of prevention. Then of course not carrying at all leaves you completely at the mercy of the BG. Good luck on that. So you are left with the following three choices. OC for prevention. CC to stop a crime in progress.Don't carry and be a victim. Choose your own comfort level."