• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rules for Open Carrying

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Rules for Open Carrying

I'm trying to come up with a list of "rules" and recommendationsfor open carrying. Here's a start. Please feel free to comment.

General Rules and Etiquette

1. Make sure you're not breaking any laws.
  2. Carry a digital voice recorder on you.
  3. Make sure you have money in the bank to cover legal fees in the event you are arrested. Hopefully this will not be an issue in the future. But for now, it is probably not a good idea to open carry if you have no money to purchase legal services.
  4. Politely answer questions to anyone who inquires about your weapon. This will give you an opportunity to educate people.
  5. Unless your life is threatened, do not remove your weapon from the holster.
  6. Generally speaking, if a business owner or manager asks you to leave, do so.
  7. Do not enter a situation where there is a strong likelihood you'll be illegally arrested. As an example, if a city has a reputation of employing rogue or corrupt LEOs on its police force, it would be unwise to open carry without first contacting the police chief and city law director.

Rules during an LEO Encounter, Detainment, or Arrest

1. Be professional and polite during any LEO encounter.
  2. Obey all lawful orders.
  3. If an LEO is making mistakes or doing something illegal, resist the urge to fight. Let them make the errors. The evidence will be recorded on your voice recorder and can be used for your defense in the future.
  4. Ask, "Am I free to go?" every minute or two. If you are free to go, do so. If you are not free to go, it means you are being detained, and (generally speaking) the less you say the better.
  5. There is the possibility the LEO is simply ignorant of the law. If you suspect this is the case, use the detainment as an opportunity to educate him/her.
  6. Resist every urge to become argumentative or "hot headed."
  7. Never lie. If you don't want to answer a question, simply remain silent.
  8. If an LEO asks you to disarm, do not remove your gun from your holster. Instead, tell him/her to remove the gun from your holster.
  9. If an LEO refuses to return your firearm, demand a receipt.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Seems a little too much for me - how about, just go about your business realizing almost nobody will see you carrying or care and your chance of a negative LEO encounter is very low.

yeahYeah

imported post

you left out one...

• don't handle a tray of tasty cinammon buns in a 7-11 early in the morning and prior to consuming caffeine.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
SNIP
Rules during an LEO Encounter, Detainment, or Arrest

1. Be professional and polite during any LEO encounter.
  2. Obey all lawful orders.
  3. If an LEO is making mistakes or doing something illegal, resist the urge to fight. Let them make the errors. The evidence will be recorded on your voice recorder and can be used for your defense in the future.
  4. Ask, "Am I free to go?" every minute or two. If you are free to go, do so. If you are not free to go, it means you are being detained, and (generally speaking) the less you say the better.
  5. There is the possibility the LEO is simply ignorant of the law. If you suspect this is the case, use the detainment as an opportunity to educate him/her.
  6. Resist every urge to become argumentative or "hot headed."
  7. Never lie. If you don't want to answer a question, simply remain silent.
  8. If an LEO asks you to disarm, do not remove your gun from your holster. Instead, tell him/her to remove the gun from your holster.
  9. If an LEO refuses to return your firearm, demand a receipt.
Ohio, in this column, you may what to add, depending on who/rank the LEO is, that you request that his/her supervisor be called/present.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

- If you are being detained, ask 'for what reason'.

Michigander

imported post

In Arizona it's a little more like:

-Know the laws

-Smile or wave at cops when they do the same

-When someone asks what kind of gun, politely tell them

-Never remove your gun from the holster unless you are threatened

-Look for the anti OC signs and shop elsewhere

-Go wherever you feel like that it's legal, because it will be a rare thing indeed to find someone who cares.

LEO 229

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

Ohio, in this column, you may what to add, depending on who/rank the LEO is, that you request that his/her supervisor be called/present.
Do you know if this ever works?

In my experience... it does not.

They can file a complaint at the station with the supervisor in most situations. Many will NOT come to the scene unless necessary and the simple request or demand from a citizen will not do it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

They can file a complaint at the station with the supervisor in most situations. Many will NOT come to the scene unless necessary and the simple request or demand from a citizen will not do it.
LEO 229, my comment was only based on a hypothetical situation where, quite possibly, the LEO may not have known that OC was legal. And, by discussing this with his/her (LEO) supervisor, the encounter may be uneventful for the OCer. That's all that I was saying...nothing more, nothing less.

LEO 229

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

LEO 229, my comment was only based on a hypothetical situation where, quite possibly, the LEO may not have known that OC was legal. And, by discussing this with his/her (LEO) supervisor, the encounter may be uneventful for the OCer. That's all that I was saying...nothing more, nothing less.
AH.. I was just wondering if you know something I did not. ;)

As I commented.... people are often quick to make this demand. Some even get on the phone and call 911 and demand the supervisor to respond during traffic stops.

I have had this happen. The supervisor will almost nevershow up unless the officer calls for him. As I said.... many citizens demand this so the supervisor could be running from traffic stop to traffic stop the entire shift.

He has other stuff to do. Most often... the stop is legal and valid. If you want to file a complaint.. you can do so officially after the stop.

nova

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
you left out one...

• don't handle a tray of tasty cinammon buns in a 7-11 early in the morning and prior to consuming caffeine.
Haha :lol: