• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New resident has a couple questions

BoiseTiger

imported post

I recently moved to the Boise area. Eventually I would like to start open carrying but I'd like to get a little more familiar with my surroundings and the local laws before I do. Anyway, I have a few related questions...

1. I was told by a guy that works at the Boise National Forest visitor center that if I carry a firearm in the national forest that I must have a hunting license. Is that true? I really hope that's not the case because neither myself or my girlfriend are hunters and I'd hate to have to pay that tax just to be able to carry in the national forest.

2. Where can I go plinking with a .22 rifle and handgun? Is there anywhere within a 30 minute drive of Boise where it is allowed?

Thanks for the help, and I hope to follow the community more in the future.

BrianEMT

imported post

1. It is true, because it is a NATIONAL forest and falls under federal jurisdiction, and therefore Idaho's preemption bill does not apply. You can OC in Idaho parks however, if you would like.

2. There is a spot near the National Guard Maneuver Area that we frequent, however I don't like it myself as there is a long stretch of moderate washboard road to get there. Another location is Blacks Creek, which I visit most often. Both are about 20 minutes from Overland/Cole. Send me a message if you would like directions. There are already directions to my shooting spot at Blacks Creek in a thread called "Updated Notices of Range Visits".

Welcome to the forum. :)

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!
I suggest you spend some time reading Idaho firearms laws. While I KNOW that I'm right on Idaho gun laws, only reading it for yourself will give you the confidence you need to make your own decisions.

Open Carry is LEGAL EVERYWHERE you're legally allowed to take a firearm in Idaho (excepting federal buildings, K-12 schools, etc)

Regarding the idiot who told you that you had to have a hunting license to carry a gun in a national forest, he's just that... and idiot. He's wrong. He's misinformed. He's incorrect. You need no hunting license to carry (open or concealed) a firearm on National Forest land.

As for shooting. Take the road south of Gowen Field (the airport), past the prisons, past the huge power lines, then you're legal to shoot. Just be smart with your backdrop.

BoiseTiger

imported post

Thanks for the info. Is the area south of the airport you are referring to called the "Ada County National Guard Maneuver Area"?

BrianEMT

imported post

BoiseTiger wrote:
Thanks for the info. Is the area south of the airport you are referring to called the "Ada County National Guard Maneuver Area"?
Yes that's the one. :D

Just make sure you aren't in the Impact Area. :celebrate

idahomilitia

imported post

He's looking for more specific directions to the shooting area.

Friend, take Cloverdale south and keep going, it will bend left into the National Guard garrison area. Once you see the hemmits, howitzers, and apc's you will take a right on pleasant valley road. Keep heading south past the prison, past the railroad tracks and past the power lines draped by huge transformers. You cannot shoot anywhere north of the power lines, but south of thepower lines you're ok. Please watch for other shooters, know your backstops, and watch for NG soldiers, they have to train their too. MP's will let you know if you're doing anything wrong. Anything you pack in, please pack out, including brass. Idaho is too great to litter!

CPT J. Ambrose

Tight groups!

BrianEMT

imported post

Actually...you are supposed to leave all your brass there, flag it on GPS, and then send me a message with the coordinates. Thanks. :D

Eagleeye

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
2. There is a spot near the National Guard Maneuver Area that we frequent, however I don't like it myself as there is a long stretch of moderate washboard road to get there. Another location is Blacks Creek, which I visit most often. Both are about 20 minutes from Overland/Cole. Send me a message if you would like directions. There are already directions to my shooting spot at Blacks Creek in a thread called "Updated Notices of Range Visits".

Welcome to the forum. :)

Ever been out to the area by Firebird off Hwy 16?

idahomilitia

imported post

There used to be a fun place off of 16 for shooting and riding ATVs but they shut it down, or I should say, they took land that belonged to the public and sold it to private parties. This has been an ongoing issue.

ColtPistols

imported post

I, also, will be moving to Idaho soon and have a few questions about where it's legal to carry. I often go way down to the St. Maries area and have been told by guy, without any legal authority, that without a hunting license, I can't legally have a weapon in the woods!? Right after he advised me not to remove it but conceal it it lol. This is when I leave his private property and go four wheelin', hikin', or sometimes horse back ridin' on what I belive is potlatch sawmill property. Also do you have any advice on carry on Benewah Indian land as this is very close by if I cross over? I have so far a non-res ccw from NH, which is obviously valid in ID, but once I move to Idaho, will as soon as possible get an ID ccw.