• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestion for Future Events

SQLtables

imported post

I'd like to claim this idea, but it was actually my girlfriends.

I think for future events maybewe should add nametags to the supplies list. I think this would be helpful for new people. We could put both our real names and forum names on the tag.

I don't know, maybethis isn't a good idea, butI think it might be helpful.

SQLtables

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I would rather get first impressions all over again. That way we are not prejudiced by something stupid that Anony Mouse may have written because we will know him as John Hancock.

I agree to that being a valid point, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference. In my experience, when somebody shows up, it goes like this:

"Hi, I'm Nate... SQLtables... nice to meet you"

So, I don't think nametags would change much in that respect.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:

I think for future events maybewe should add nametags to the supplies list. I think this would be helpful for new people. We could put both our real names and forum names on the tag.

SQLtables, several of us discussed this at the picnic Sunday. We agreed that it would be a good idea.

However, Warlockmatized, IIRC, mentioned this idea had been discussed in the past and that it may make us (MOC) appear-at the picnics-to be an organized event.

I say lets do it.

warlockmatized

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

SQLtables, several of us discussed this at the picnic Sunday. We agreed that it would be a good idea.

However, Warlockmatized, IIRC, mentioned this idea had been discussed in the past and that it may make us (MOC) appear-at the picnics-to be an organized event.

I say lets do it.
You are correct Randy. I spoke with Venator prior to the Warren picnic about this very subject. I thought it was a very good idea. However he had concerns and reservations about doing it. Rather than "try" and remember all he had to say on the subject, hopefully Brian will chime in.

SQLtables

imported post

Well, as far as name tags making it look like an "organized" event... we actually wear name tags at my FAMILY reunion. I don't think name tags will make a difference in the whole demonstration vs. picnic argument.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Well, as far as name tags making it look like an "organized" event... we actually wear name tags at my FAMILY reunion. I don't think name tags will make a difference in the whole demonstration vs. picnic argument.
That's what we agreed on at the picnic.At the same time, we thought itshould be discussed with other MOC'ers before doing so.

SQLtables

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
That's what we agreed on at the picnic.At the same time, we thought itshould be discussed with other MOC'ers before doing so.

Agreed. We allneed to be on the same page.

Christy even mentioned she would help with some sort of reusable name tag, socould all have our own tag,if we decided to do that. I don't know if that would be feasible with the growth rate we have now though.

THway

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Agreed. We allneed to be on the same page.

Christy even mentioned she would help with some sort of reusable name tag, socould all have our own tag,if we decided to do that. I don't know if that would be feasible with the growth rate we have now though.

Cant we just get some of those paper patches that say "Hello may name is"??? Either that or we all go out and get some tattoos :dude:. Im past due for another one anyway.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

My concern was that some people like to keep a low profile and wish to remain nameless. Also at the time of the Warren picnic there was a large police presence and I didn't want to have to refuse to give ID if asked by the PD then have it on my name tag. Saying that, it will be voluntary to put on a name tag so those that don't want to don't have to. Go for it.

Tucker6900

imported post

We could just pull a Fight Club. Where Ed Nortons character used several different name tags, but to this day we still dont know his real name.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
My concern was that some people like to keep a low profile and wish to remain nameless. Also at the time of the Warren picnic there was a large police presence and I didn't want to have to refuse to give ID if asked by the PD then have it on my name tag. Saying that, it will be voluntary to put on a name tag so those that don't want to don't have to. Go for it.
I thought about this, and decided that the solution is really to not put on a name tag. It's up to each individual whether they want to be known or not, just like you said.

Yes, I figured we could just use the "my name is" tags, but I was just saying that Christy volunteered to do something else if we wanted to be more fancy. Ya know those plastic clip on things that you slide the paper into? Something like that. It doesn't matter to me at all.

Let's add it to the list for future events. Should we bring some to the Lions Club? I would say no, just due to the nature of the event.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
I thought about this, and decided that the solution is really to not put on a name tag. It's up to each individual whether they want to be known or not, just like you said.

Yes, I figured we could just use the "my name is" tags, but I was just saying that Christy volunteered to do something else if we wanted to be more fancy. Ya know those plastic clip on things that you slide the paper into? Something like that. It doesn't matter to me at all.

Let's add it to the list for future events. Should we bring some to the Lions Club? I would say no, just due to the nature of the event.
You could bring them and let each person decide if they want to wear it.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:

You could bring them and let each person decide if they want to wear it.
Why not? Good idea.

MrsRuger45

imported post

Cant we just get some of those paper patches that say "Hello may name is"??? Either that or we all go out and get some tattoos :dude:. Im past due for another one anyway.

I can't wait until ruger45 reads this one! That will be his next tattoo!! I guess from now on he'll just have to wear a sleeveless shirt so ya'll can see his tattoo with our names & wedding date on it. And I'll have to stand by him. Maybe he can add an arrow pointing to me by my name?? :p

I had thought the plastic pin on name tags were a good idea, too,sort of. It would be cool to put the logo on them that is on the back of theshirts. But then that does really make us seem an organized group. Almost a no win situation, eh?

SQLtables

imported post

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's so bad about being an "organized" group? I mean, that church group in Lapeer was an organized group right? "Organized" does not necessarily mean we are demonstrating, rallying, or anything else besides hanging out in an "organized" manner.

I don't know, maybe there's something I'm not seeing here.

ruger45

imported post

haha i already got my name tag c overed.and mine dont wash off:monkey:celebratei love them two guys.but yes agood idea.even at our church we wear name tags if you choose.

WARCHILD

imported post

I spoke with Venator prior to the Warren picnic about this very subject.

Great minds think alike. I talked to him also the samedayand he mentioned you beat me to the idea. I agree with both sides of the issue (sittin' on the fence), have the tags available and let them that want use them. (I hope you all do, I'm lousy with names):uhoh:

OT: what thread was the dog tag issue in? (I can't find it)