• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HCP traffic stop question

Fallguy

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
SomeKid wrote:
Under TN law:

If you feel your life is in imminent danger from a LEO, you have the right to use lethal force to protect yourself (and for obvious reasons, your life had better have been in danger).
Hey SomeKID (AKA idiot ) A few guys in Waco tried that and they all are dead, in prison or on parole.

Your commentis the kind of statement that has officers asking the founders of this site why we are so anti-LEO. Additionally it is irresponsible to post such a thing when some idiot may take your horrible advice as competent legal advice, when it is not.

Some of you guys love to play lawyer on here but suggesting lethal force against police is reckless and incredibly ignorant.

You wonder why police want to disarm citizens at traffic stops ?Keep up the loony post and we will havepolice treating every permit holder or armed citizen as a felony stop.

While I admit the circumstances in which you would be legally justified and it also ruled that way in court are rare....it is legal

T.C.A. 39-11-611 Self-defense.

(e) The threat or use of force against another is not justified:

(3) To resist a halt at a roadblock, arrest, search, or stop and frisk that the person using force knows is being made by a law enforcement officer, unless:

(A) The law enforcement officer uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest, search, stop and frisk, or halt; and

(B) The person using force reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary to protect against the law enforcement officer's use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.​

SomeKid

imported post

Hey genius, read my post and pay attention. I pretty clearly note that you had better have been in serious danger and am not suggesting shooting cops for fun. A cop who disarms a lawfully armed citizen does so out of arrogance. Period. Officer safety is a nice crutch, but a false front nonetheless.

Also, the Waco reference was absurd. Waco was not a traffic stop, nor was it in Tennessee, nor was it even involving state police. Waco was a Federal (under a liberal anti-gun Democrat) debacle.

no carry permit ? wrote:
SomeKid wrote:
Under TN law:

If you feel your life is in imminent danger from a LEO, you have the right to use lethal force to protect yourself (and for obvious reasons, your life had better have been in danger).
Hey SomeKID (AKA idiot ) A few guys in Waco tried that and they all are dead, in prison or on parole.

Your commentis the kind of statement that has officers asking the founders of this site why we are so anti-LEO. Additionally it is irresponsible to post such a thing when some idiot may take your horrible advice as competent legal advice, when it is not.

Some of you guys love to play lawyer on here but suggesting lethal force against police is reckless and incredibly ignorant.

You wonder why police want to disarm citizens at traffic stops ?Keep up the loony post and we will havepolice treating every permit holder or armed citizen as a felony stop.

TN_TITANS

imported post

I think I would rather tell Leo off the get-go I am armed legally. He is going to find out that you are possibly armed as a result of running your license anyway. I dont want LEO to find out that I am armed by catching a glimpse of my pistol during an investigation, and because I have not informed him that I have HCP, he draws his weapon on me like he has been trained to do in such cases. You are just Joe Blow or perhaps BG to LEO and when he catches a glimpse of your weapon he is going to fall back on training.I dont think Leo after seeing a firearm on your person or in your vehicle is then going to ask to see a permit. In the amount of time it takes him to ask for proper I.D. to be carrying he could be shot dead. Leo might take that approach if he feels comfotable with you, but then again this feeling of being comfortable has gotten Leo's killed in the past .. Can you blame him for being "on guard" while he is behind the badge? That badge is a target for some.

Leo's have been killed by BG's duringroutine traffic stops and he doesnt want to be the next. My advice is to just let Leo know initially that you are armed and that you are armed legally. Leo is then going to realize that you are a responsible citizen if you show him your HCP and perhaps let him disarm you, and until that time he doesnt want to be surprised by the presense of a firearm. More times than not Leo is going to say nothing other than leave your weapon where it is. Or in other cases he might get you out and disarm you until he is done with you. Which he has the right to do. Leo is not doing this to disrespect you, this action is for his safety and yours. That should be looked at at in no other way. Like I said earlier, Leo's are killed every year by BG's and until he identifies you and realizes that you are properly certified to carry he does not want to be surprised.

Besides all that, why would one not inform Leo of HCP? Because you are not required by law to do so? I'm not required by law to go to work, but I do it any way. Well... why not show Leo because you respect him as a Law Enforcement Officer and that he has made it his duty to serve and protect you as a citizen of his jurisdiction. Understand that he risks his life every day wether uniformed or not to keep you safe from the BG's. The very thing that you want to conceal, because its your right, is what kills Leo's every year.

Just let Leo know you are armed and are armed legally. If he wants to disarm you momentarily, then so be it. Dont think anybody is going to threaten your life in the presense of him anyway, so why would you need it at that moment?

crotalus01

imported post

Or in other cases he might get you out and disarm you until he is done with you. Which he has the right to do. Leo is not doing this to disrespect you, this action is for his safety and yours.

:cuss:

BULLSHIT. How do I know (s)he is familiar with the sidearm I decide to carry for MY protection??? (S)He may very well unholster my Glock and have a ND because my Glock has no safety! What if that ND shoots me? Worse yet what if that ND shoots the officer????

Yeah, officer in a coma from a legit ND noone else saw, sure the Grand Jury is gonna take my word on what happened HCP and clean record be damned :banghead:

ProguninTN

imported post

Well, you would have the cruiser's video to back you up. However, I agree that even if they can, disarmament is nonsense. I think it would be more pleasant, much safer if officer and citizen both just agreed to keep their hands of the guns for the duration of the encounter.

Fallguy

imported post

Seems like it would just be easier to change the law in TN to must inform if that is what everyone wants.

Till then I will let the circumstances of each situation dictate when/if I notify.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But what do you do if the leo wants to disarm you and
A: Is not trained in the safe removal of said weapon.
1. Is to macho to admit it.
B: Gets irate, and therfore dangerous when you point out the above 'A'

I have learned from much practical field experience, the truth is the last thing they want to hear.

What is the law in Tn on disarming with a bra holster?