• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

places to shoot

I

inNV

imported post

Where is a good place to go and shoot outdoors in the Las Vegas area? I figure you can go out to the desert at the base of a hill or mountain, and use that as a backstop, I just don't know where this is legal. I want to get out and practice more maneuvers than just standing and shooting at the range. So if anyone has an areas, let me know, thanks.

icode

imported post

Go out I-15 South, take the Sloan exit, at the stop sign go left, the next stop sign will be Las Vegas Blvd and you will go right (south) travel until mile marker 15 (I think). You will see a cell tower across the freeway on your right and a "gravel pit" on your left. There is usually people shooting at the pit on the weekends and you can travel the dirt roads back over the hills to some very secluded areas to shoot. I go out there all the time.

Erus

imported post

inNV wrote:

Thanks, the second one looks like it would work.

If that's thje closest place to you.. (Icode sent another good one) then I can tell you I have shot there... lots of room.. no issues. good place.

Just don't count on the jack in the box in Boulder City on your way out. Staffed with morons. lol

yeahYeah

imported post

icode's spot is where i go too. it's nice and you won't be bothered... it's a bit of a drive from me, but worth it in IMO.

I

inNV

AnakinsKid

imported post

inNV wrote:
Where is the place south of the 15 by Sloan?
I think some people stop short of where I go, but I take Las Vegas Bl south to here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.854556,-115.254822&ie=UTF8&ll=35.855074,-115.254993&spn=0.008452,0.019312&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr (Use satellite view)

turn on the road going left, there's a sign that says "Southern Nevada Lightweight 8 Miles to Pit". Follow the road back till the pavement ends, and there's a great spot a little bit further, here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.828919,+-115.218456&ie=UTF8&ll=35.829435,-115.218451&spn=0.008455,0.019312&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

I think more people go to this spot, since it's closer:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.878216,+-115.212657&ie=UTF8&ll=35.878463,-115.212657&spn=0.00845,0.019312&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

You'll occasionally find dirtbikers setting up from the spot I shoot at, and one of their trails runs right through the firing line. The road I take goes out to a gravel/sand pit, and you'll see the trucks going out there sometimes. They've never complained to me about shooting there.

My spot you can see Jean Lake (dry lakebed) from the road on the way out.

yeahYeah

imported post

ThirtyCal wrote:
Hello everyone. New to the site, found it searching for info on the castle doctrine.

This spot south of the 15 by Sloan is a great spot. I just wish people would remove what they brought in to shoot at. It's really starting to pile up out there.

Also there will be another area opening next year.

http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/parks/locations/pages/Shooting_Park.aspx
i agree. it's like a dumping ground. I'm looking forward to the park opening next year. it's close to me, but my concern is the rif raf that may be there.

I've been to gun ranges before where the "homies" come in to hone up their driveby skills and latest rap video moves.

ThirtyCal

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
i agree. it's like a dumping ground. I'm looking forward to the park opening next year. it's close to me, but my concern is the rif raf that may be there.

I've been to gun ranges before where the "homies" come in to hone up their driveby skills and latest rap video moves.
I know what you mean - That's usually when I leave. :cuss:

I was in a gun store whena "homie" was purchasing an AK-47. Granted he still had to do a Brady, but I was curious about his knowledge on the weaponso I went up and asked him which one he was purchasing (Romanian, Yugo, etc) his answer was " don't know" :lol:

yeahYeah

imported post

when i OC, i have had a homie think i was carrying a "glock foh five"...when in fact i carry an XD.

it's the rap culture mentality.

icode

imported post

ThirtyCal wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

I know what you mean - That's usually when I leave. :cuss:

I was in a gun store whena "homie" was purchasing an AK-47. Granted he still had to do a Brady, but I was curious about his knowledge on the weaponso I went up and asked him which one he was purchasing (Romanian, Yugo, etc) his answer was " don't know" :lol:

I know what you mean, I've felt the same way. Then I remember "who am I to judge", these people have the same right to a hobby and self defense as us "normal" people do. They are obviously not dangerous felons or the NCIS check would catch them, right? I'm certainly not scolding anyone for their "homie" thinking, Lord knows that I have it, I'm just trying to present another POV.

Shane.

yeahYeah

imported post

shane, you're a homie?

it's one thing for a homie to go to a range and shoot, it's another to think he is in a rap movie spraying lead down a range with no accuracy in mind. that's dangerous. the waving of loaded fire arms...it's no joke.

icode

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
inNV wrote:
Where is the place south of the 15 by Sloan?
I think some people stop short of where I go, but I take Las Vegas Bl south to here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.854556,-115.254822&ie=UTF8&ll=35.855074,-115.254993&spn=0.008452,0.019312&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr (Use satellite view)

turn on the road going left, there's a sign that says "Southern Nevada Lightweight 8 Miles to Pit". Follow the road back till the pavement ends, and there's a great spot a little bit further, here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.828919,+-115.218456&ie=UTF8&ll=35.829435,-115.218451&spn=0.008455,0.019312&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

I think more people go to this spot, since it's closer:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.878216,+-115.212657&ie=UTF8&ll=35.878463,-115.212657&spn=0.00845,0.019312&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

You'll occasionally find dirtbikers setting up from the spot I shoot at, and one of their trails runs right through the firing line. The road I take goes out to a gravel/sand pit, and you'll see the trucks going out there sometimes. They've never complained to me about shooting there.

My spot you can see Jean Lake (dry lakebed) from the road on the way out.
My son and I were at spot number 1 last night looking for coyotes, we got stuckon the road on the hill to the left going to spot number 2, spot number 3 is where we usually go shooting. Thanks for the links, I think somebody has themselves a GPS unit :celebrate

icode

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
shane, you're a homie?

it's one thing for a homie to go to a range and shoot, it's another to think he is in a rap movie spraying lead down a range with no accuracy in mind. that's dangerous. the waving of loaded fire arms...it's no joke.
Um yep, I'm a homie :dude:NOT! I totally agree with what you're saying. Everything, I was just trying to think of it from another side. It's not something that I usually do so I'm not very good at it :?

irish

imported post

If you take Blue Diamond west towards Pahrump there's a good spot on the right called Lovell Canyon. After the downhill twisties past the bar there's a sign on the right. Follow that dirt road for about 10 minutes and there's a nice canyon where people do alot of shooting. From I-15 it's probably about 30 minutes.

Safe shooting! www.keepandbeararms.com

icode

imported post

irish wrote:
If you take Blue Diamond west towards Pahrump there's a good spot on the right called Lovell Canyon. After the downhill twisties past the bar there's a sign on the right. Follow that dirt road for about 10 minutes and there's a nice canyon where people do alot of shooting. From I-15 it's probably about 30 minutes.

Safe shooting! http://www.keepandbeararms.com
I would think that it is cooler there???

yeahYeah

imported post

icode wrote:
irish wrote:

Safe shooting! http://www.keepandbeararms.com
I would think that it is cooler there???
i know where he is talking about. it is much cooler, but a decent drive from you and me.