• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing a suppressed firearm?

b1ack5mith

imported post

well i dont have one... yet... (sorry about the punctuation, typin with one hand, my kitten is nursing on my fingers lol) but if someone was OCing a handgun with a suppressor stickin out the end of his holster... what do you folks think the situation would stir up? i personally think that its unneccesary, because the police would have reasonable suspicion lol. would look pretty cool though ;)

but when i get my suppressor (tax paid ofcorse) i wouldnt OC it. (holster wouldnt allow it anyway, the cans are too thick lol)

just thought id bring up somethin for us to talk about! :D

ScottyT

imported post

althor wrote:
Reasonable suspicion of what exactly?

+1. Great name, by the way!

As long as you obtained it legally you can carry it legally. The potential of projecting a negative image to the public may be greater with a can, so I would discourage it -- the same reasons as OCing long guns. Unfortunately suppressors are viewed as used for only evil purposes, instead of promoting the public health by reducing harmful noise pollution.

scorpioajr

imported post

It is my understanding that so long as you have your 'Tax Stamp' on you whenever you have your "Can" (Suppressor) on you, you will be well within the confines of the law.

Just a bit more on suppressed weapons and the option to do so:

I see nothing wrong with owning one. if it weren't for the unGAWDly cost per item, Im sure i would be happy to pay the $200 to the ATF. having said that, i think they work wonders for hearing protection. i say this with the most limited of experience (shot, maybe 1, suppressed mag my entire 'gun owning/shooting' aspect of my life.)

PS- that was a great day...

Edit: Spelling..

althor

imported post

I carry one when I ride my ATV in a holster like this:
http://weaponforums.com/lite/topic.html?b=7&f=118&t=411357

When you use a silencer in public it certainly draws attention, negative and positive alike. Most people think its cool but have lots of misconceptions as to the legalities. You also get the other type.

I once had a guy come up to me to inform me that he was in 'law enforcement' and that I was breaking the law and that he knew for a fact that nobody in Utah could own one. I tolerated him for a while, explained things and even showed him the paperwork. (I didn't have to... just thought I would educate). After that he didn't know what to say except that the only use for one would be to kill somebody. I told him that I could think of several legitimate uses for one that didn't involve killing anybody at all and that he should look inward and ask himself why his first instinct was to hurt somebody.

It turns out that the guy was just a prison guard!

b1ack5mith

imported post

i mean, if some "californian" saw u walkin around with a silencer stickin out of your holster, OMG HE HAS A GUNNNN!!! is what youll hear lol.

and cops would REALLLLY question that XD

now my next ?... i really like those holsters u showed dude! id love a tactical thigh rig like that, with a suppressed gun on my side (they cant see the silencer) but do you guys think that that would be considered OCing? i mean with the flap over the grip of the firearm so they cant see ANY part of it... though... opencarry isnt defined...

ainokea

imported post

The only downside I see to carrying a suppressed gun is it would drastically slow down your draw. Longer gun = slower and harder to draw. Not a good thing when your life is in danger.

althor

imported post

21. Only the owner may possess it, (you may not loan it out), and you have to have at least a copy of your tax stamp with it.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Speaking of supressors, what might a gunsmith have to do to your weapon to even allow it to be mounted onto the barrel? Don't they have to add threads on it or something?

Kevin

scorpioajr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Speaking of supressors, what might a gunsmith have to do to your weapon to even allow it to be mounted onto the barrel? Don't they have to add threads on it or something?

Kevin
You would want to get the barrel threaded. however, i DO know of a suppressor made for the AR-15 (I don't know if it is solely for said rifle..) that slides onto the pre-mounted flash suppressor, then 'locks'. I'm not an expert on this matter, but i think i would prefer the threaded barrel for the suppressors' integrity, concerning function that is.

Triathlon

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i agree, but now i have a new "?"...

how old do you have to be to OWN a suppressor?
There are ways. For instanced, if you are at least 18 you may purchase it from an individual living in your state by using a Form 4, but you may not purchase it from a FFL or other licensed dealer.

I think I remember reading in Utah Gun Law, e3, that the same goes for owning a handgun if you are under 18.

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=199928

This link has a rather detailed section on how an 18-20 yr. old person may own or posses NFA items, including suppressors, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, machine guns, any other weapons, destructive devices, ect... Sounds like something that would be a lot of fun, but trust me, money has lots of other uses before you finish your education and begin your first real career type job.

BTW, I'm really glad I found this thread. It is a subject I've been wondering about. Anybody know of any good holster makers that will make a holster to accomodate a suppressor?

althor

imported post

Triathlon wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
i agree, but now i have a new "?"...

how old do you have to be to OWN a suppressor?
There are ways. For instanced, if you are at least 18 you may purchase it from an individual living in your state by using a Form 4, but you may not purchase it from a FFL or other licensed dealer.

I think I remember reading in Utah Gun Law, e3, that the same goes for owning a handgun if you are under 18.
It looks like you're right. I think the same thing goes for those who want to make their own on a Form 1. I'll have to check into this a little more.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

althor wrote:
I told him that I could think of several legitimate uses for one that didn't involve killing anybody at all and that he should look inward and ask himself why his first instinct was to hurt somebody.

It turns out that the guy was just a prison guard!
I'm told, but have never verified, that in anti-gun england, the few who can get guns consider it fairly rude NOT to use a suppressor whenever possible.

I would venture a guess that most of those who would be the first complain about the noise of a shooting range here in the States would also be among the first to see sinister motives in using a suppressor. Which is interesting. I would never dream of driving around in a car without a muffler. It is rude to turn up the volume on the radio so loud as to disturb others. But if I decide to spent some time shooting I'm supposed to do so with no attempt at all to quiet the gun noise? To subject myself to hearing damage unless I wear protective earmuffs, to subject my dogs (who can't wear earmuffs) to the same dangers of hearing damage, while making enough noise that anyone within 2 square miles might be offended?!?!?

Yet another case of too many people getting too much of their info on guns from Hollywood where the only use of a suppressor is for bad guys to get away with shooting good people.

I really wish I had the money for a safe full of suppressors. I'd love to shoot with far less noise. Of course, save for the unconstitutional NFA I would not need much money for that, now would I.

I gotta obey the laws. I don't have to like or agree with them.

Charles